Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

Not good for the Ravens. Need to keep DeCosta -- he'd be fucking great for the Packers tho. I thought they were safe in keeping him after the Giants and Browns job got filled, but I guess not.

Also, Joe Flacco will have an actual QB coach now, hopefully to help with his mechanics - James Urban... who was the WR coach in cinci for the past 7 years? and before that the QB coach with Marty in Philly. So, I guess it's a reunion of those two (Marty/Urban).

"Urban spent the past seven years as the Cincinnati Bengals’ wide receivers coach. Prior to that, he was the Philadelphia Eagles’ quarterbacks coach in 2009 and 2010, when he helped direct Pro Bowl seasons for Donovan McNabb (’09) and Michael Vick (’10). In 2010, Vick earned NFL Comeback Player of the Year honors and was the NFC starter in the Pro Bowl."

“I want to win football games, do what it takes to win football games and put people in place to win football games,” Urban continued. “The Ravens are about tough, physical, disciplined football, and those are appealing things to me. Obviously, Marty and I coached together for seven years, and he has guided me in many ways – in terms of what I believe about quarterback play and offensive play. I am really excited to be back with Marty and to go to work.” -- James Urban

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018/01/05/ravens-press-releases/ravens-coaching-moves/

DeCosta needs to stay. He's supposed to take over once Ozzie retires.

Pagano for DC? I guess. I know he's supposed to be a good DC, but Indy's defense has been abysmal while he's been there.

Apparently Marty keeps his job, which is annoying, but not surprising. This franchise values consistency (even though they've had a rotating door in that position since Joe and John have been here).

So who off this Alabama defense is Ozzie going to draft this year?

I just saw this post on another forum, not sure if its comprehensive or not, but it paints a good picture, IMO, of what has been wrong with the Ravens --- the defense loses games late every. fucking. year.

-----------------------
Here's what it is...in black and white.

No lost 4th quarter leads.

2012 - Pees walks in the building

Bal 23 Phi 24 late 4th, Eagles score 7 with 1:55 left.

Pit 23 Bal 20 lost in 4th, Steelers FG on last play, Batch qb

Bal 28 Was 31 late in 4th, Redskins score 8 with 29 second left to tie, lost in OT

Bal 17 Cin 23 lost in 4th, with under 9 minutes, Tyrod our qb, meaningless game

Bal 16 Pit 19 lost on last drive, FG with no time remaining.

Bal 20 Chi 23 lost in OT

Cin 23 Bal 16 late 4th, Green 77TD with 4:58 left.

Bal 13 Ind 20 actually tied, but lost in 4th, Luck TD with 8:56 left.

Bal 24 Cin 27 late 4th, Dalton TD with 57 seconds left.

SD 34 Bal 33 late 4th, Rivers TD with 38 seconds left.

playoffs

Bal 31 NE 35 ahead in 4th, gave up two 14 point leads.

Bal 33 Oak 37 late 4th, Carr TD with 26 seconds left.

Cin 28 Bal 24 late 4th, Green TD with 2:10 left.

Cle 33 Bal 30 late 4th, loss 5 point lead with 3:15 left, but tie it up, but lose in OT

Jax 22 Bal 20 late 4th, Jags FG with no time remaining.

Oak 28 Bal 27 late 4th, Carr TD with 2:12 left.

Bal 23 NYG 27 late 4th, Beckham 66TD with 1:24 left.

Bal 27 Pit 31 late 4th, Brown TD with less than 10 seconds left.

Chi 27 Bal 24 in OT, give up a 79 yard drive and the winning FG to a rookie QB.

Bal 38 Pit 39 Defense gives up 19 points and the lead in 4th quarter.

Cin 31 Bal 27 Defense gives up 49 yard TD on 4th and 12 with 53 seconds left.

Pees walks out of the building.

Here's hoping the new DC can actually put his defensive players in a position to succeed and not repeat the same mistakes since 2012.
----------

Hopefully Don 'Wink' Martindale is a big improvement. It seems like the talent is there but the players are not put in position to succeed or make technical errors.

AND, here's hoping that MULTIPLE offensive playmakers are brought in at the WR and TE positions thru the draft and FA.
Players that win their one-on-one battles and can catch the freaking ball.

It has been infuriating watching the defense fail so many times late in games in recent years. The only thing I can say in their defense is that they have often been exhausted by an offense that can't stay on the field and also put in shitty situations because of the offense going too conservative too soon. However, this never used to be a problem back in the days of the great Raven defenses.

This year's defense was not as good as they looked at times though. They bullied shitty offenses, shitty QBs and back up QBs, but they weren't really as good as those numbers looked. Against real offenses, they looked overmatched and incapable of forcing the turnovers that carried them when they feasted on lesser competition. They need better pressure and they need CBs who can stay on the fucking field.

I am definitely excited to see what this next season brings. Just let the injury bug move on to some other team please.

Lol Humphries. This shit better be the 'misunderstanding' he's claiming. A $15 charger from an uber driver? C'mon man.

I wanna know why he felt he needed a phone charger that badly. The nudes he was about to receive must’ve been fucking spectacular

I wanna know why he felt he needed a phone charger that badly. The nudes he was about to receive must’ve been fucking spectacular
Apparently he was drunk as hell and thought it was his charger. Still just a retarded situation to be getting headlines for after an excellent rookie season.

Ray Lewis into the Hall of Fame!

I love reading stuff like this

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-...ame-as-greatest-leader-in-team-sports-history

Here are quotes compiled by the Ravens from executives, coaches and players who Lewis directly impacted:

Ozzie Newsome, general manager who drafted Lewis in 1996: "For 17 years, we could point to No. 52 and tell the other players: 'Follow his lead. Practice like Ray practices. Prepare like Ray prepares. Be a great teammate like him.' It was our privilege to have him as a Raven. We are all better for having him here. His play on game days speaks for itself. Even in that small group who have the honor of being a Hall of Famer, Ray stands out. When you talk about the great players of all time, no matter position, he is among the greatest of the great."

Brian Billick, Lewis' head coach from 1999 to 2007: "What the fans saw of Ray Lewis on Sundays is what we saw every day, every meeting, every workout, every practice -- that unabridged passion for the game and excellence. We congratulate him on what is truly a worthy Hall of Fame induction."

John Harbaugh, Lewis' head coach from 2008 to 2012: "Ray represented Ravens football perfectly. He established what it means to 'Play like a Raven,' which has become a standard we believe in and our fans understand. It was an honor to coach Ray on the field and to maintain our friendship off it. I'm wishing Ray and his family many blessings during his Hall of Fame journey, as I know he walks in faith and will always remember that we walk together as Super Bowl champions."

Steve Bisciotti, Ravens owner for 10 seasons of Lewis' career:
"Obviously, there is nobody more deserving. He made people around him better, which is the greatest compliment that you can give anybody in football, and he clearly was that guy."

Shannon Sharpe, Hall of Fame tight end who was Lewis' teammate in 2000 and 2001:"Before we get to his play, Ray is the greatest leader in team sports history. No one is even close. His resume as a player speaks for itself, but I'll add this: He dominated in two eras of football. In the first half of his career, when the run game was the most prominent, he was a beast. Extraordinary.

"He singlehandedly shut down great backs like Jerome Bettis, Eddie George and Fred Taylor. When the passing game became the way teams regularly moved the ball, he was spectacular. Teams didn't run screens against him. Receivers became reluctant to come across his view, and his speed allowed him to take away shallow and deep parts of the middle of the field. I saw all of this as a teammate with him and playing against him. No inside linebacker in the history of the game has the resume of the man I call 'Suga.'"

Rod Woodson, Hall of Fame defensive back who was Lewis' teammate from 1998 to 2001: "What needs to be said about a guy who was, by far, the best leader I witnessed in my 17 years of play? Not only a great leader to the whole team, but a mentor to teammates and players on other teams -- and those playing other pro sports. His singular focus to be the best player and teammate he could be separates him from other Hall of Famers. So unselfish. So selfless.

"The passion we all saw was real. He's relentless. It is who he is. His play was off the charts, a virtual tackling machine -- and a playmaker. He caused fumbles, recovered fumbles, interceptions, tipped passes. He did it all for longer than anyone who played his spot in the middle. If possible, he got better with age. His attitude and effort remained the highest, but his knowledge increased with all his study. Even as a young player, he would call out the plays the offense was about to run. He could play so fast, and with such confidence, because he knew what was about to happen."

Ed Reed, Ravens safety who was Lewis' teammate from 2002 to 2012: "I believe my big brother is one of the greatest football players to ever put on a uniform. Everything he displayed about the game -- on the field and off the field -- by being a leader and a constant professional truly set a great example for those around him. Honestly, I think he could still play. Congratulations, big bro."

Mike Singletary, Hall of Fame linebacker who was Lewis' position coach in 2003 and 2004: "It was my privilege to spend time with Ray and be awed by his play and leadership. As a witness from the sideline in practices and in games as his linebackers coach, I saw everything about him. As a player, he was ferocious. His ability to make every play, and the way he did it with his speed and power, I’ll never forget that. He electrified his teammates in practice and games.

"His leadership was none like I’ve ever seen. His work was so thorough, his credibility allowed him to bring his teammates along with him to the highest levels. He took over games emotionally, creating intensity that was special and off the charts. I can't emphasize enough how his teammates followed him. He worked at his craft. Did he work harder than everybody else? I can't identify another like him. Hall of Famer? He's the best I've seen, and, if people thought I was good, I know that Ray was better."

Marvin Lewis, Lewis' defensive coordinator from 1996 to 2001: "Ray is the most driven, talented and smart player I have ever met. Each day he wanted to know what he could do to be the best and make the team better."

Mike Nolan, Lewis' defensive coordinator from 2002 to 2004: "You could argue that Ray is the greatest defensive player in history. I was very fortunate to coach Lawrence Taylor. Since he was an outside linebacker, offenses could run away from him. The same with a great lineman like Reggie White. You couldn't run away from Ray. He played in the middle of the field. He could literally stop inside running games, sweeps and screen passes by himself. Then you add his dedication to the game: the film study, the lifting, the passion, the leadership. I grew up in the game and never saw or heard about anyone who did what Ray did."

People saying he's better than Lawrence Taylor? Especially these people? Wow.

giphy.gif

I think I agree with this article when it says to expect more from Flacco next year. He needs a good QB coach and this guy took Mike Vick and McNabb to the probowl. Flacco got invited in 2014 with Kubiak as the OC but decided not to attend. I think Marty will know what to do with the offense now, Greg Roman's running game is staying and will be even better with Kenneth Dixon coming back, and Joe's mechanics will be a lot better.

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-...y-sees-bounce-back-2018-for-ravens-joe-flacco

I'm starting to get over that last second loss and I'm getting ready for next season :)

Need to rename this thread, "THE OFFENSE STRIKES BACK" after this last draft.

RD(PK) PLAYER POS SCHOOL
1(25) Marquise Brown WR Oklahoma
3(21) Jaylon Ferguson DE Louisiana Tech
3(29) Miles Boykin WR Notre Dame
4(11) Justice Hill RB Oklahoma State
4(21) Ben Powers OG Oklahoma
4(25) Iman Marshall CB USC
5(22) Daylon Mack DT Texas A&M
6(24) Trace McSorley QB Penn State

Wide receiver Marquise Brown, the Ravens' first-round pick, is among the fastest players that ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay has ever evaluated. Wide receiver Miles Boykin, a third-round selection, was among the 20 fastest players at the NFL combine. And running back Justice Hill, a fourth-rounder, was the fastest running back in Indianapolis in February.

"We played a lot of teams, really good offenses this year [and] I had a chance to sit up in the press box and watch some of these offenses. One of the main common denominators is speed," Eric DeCosta said after his first draft as the Ravens general manager. "We got a chance to see what Lamar can do this past year, and I think our vision, collective vision, for the offense is to add more guys like that to make it really challenging on the defense."
http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-...-lamar-jackson-offense-revealed-through-draft

Round 1, No. 25 overall: Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma

My take:
This was a bold first pick by new Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta. Spurning the franchise’s awful track record in drafting wide receivers, DeCosta selected the most explosive playmaker in this year’s class and gave a much-needed weapon on the outside for quarterback Lamar Jackson. Brown has terrifying speed and can score a touchdown every time he touches the ball. He has the ability to take the top off defenses and turn short passes into long gains. Nicknamed “Hollywood” because of the town he grew up in Florida, Brown instantly upgrades one of the most suspect wide receiver groups in the NFL. After parting ways with Michael Crabtree and John Brown in free agency, the Ravens are left with three receivers who have caught an NFL pass (Willie Snead, Seth Roberts and Chris Moore). How effective Brown is depends on the development of Jackson, the 30th-rated passer last season (84.5) among quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts. At the very least, Brown will force defenses not to stack the box against the run-heavy Baltimore offense. Brown averaged 17.5 yards per reception and led the Power 5 conferences with eight touchdowns of 25 yards or longer.

Defensive replacement for T-Sizzle

Round 3, No. 85 overall: Jaylon Ferguson, DE-OLB, Louisiana Tech
My take: The Ravens must feel like they got one of the bigger steals in the third round in Ferguson, who ranked as the 39th-best prospect on Mel Kiper’s Big Board. After losing Terrell Suggs, Baltimore gets the player who broke Suggs' Division I record with 45 career sacks. Nicknamed “Sack Daddy,” Ferguson led the FBS with 17.5 sacks last season and recorded pressure on 19.1 percent of his pass rushes, which ranked second behind Josh Allen.

Ferguson was disinvited to the combine after a background check turned up battery conviction from his freshman year in college. The Ravens did their homework on Ferguson, meeting with him three times during the pre-draft process. The Ravens were fortunate to get Ferguson after five pass-rushers were selected in the third round. During the draft, Ferguson helped people in Ruston, Louisiana, after a tornado hit there.

Round 3, No. 93 overall: Miles Boykin , WR, Notre Dame
My take: The Ravens remain aggressive in giving Lamar Jackson more targets on the outside, trading up nine spots to draft Boykin. This marks the first time in franchise history that the Ravens have taken two wide receivers in the first three rounds in the same draft (Baltimore selected Marquise Brown in the first round). Unlike Brown, Boykin provides more size at 6 feet 3, 220 pounds. He led Notre Dame in receptions (59), receiving yards (872) and touchdown catches (eight). Boykin has a nose for the end zone. His streak of six consecutive games with a touchdown is the longest by a Notre Dame wide receiver since Will Fuller in 2014. This upgrades what had been one of the most suspect wide receiver groups in the NFL.

Round 4, No. 113 overall: Justice Hill, RB, Oklahoma State
My take: The Ravens continue their trend of building a speedy supporting cast around quarterback Lamar Jackson, selecting the fastest running back at the NFL combine. Justice Hill, who ran the 40 in 4.40 seconds, is the type of home run back that coach John Harbaugh wanted heading into the draft. His explosiveness complements the power running styles of Mark Ingram and Gus Edwards. He produced 13 games with 100-plus rushing yards over the last two seasons, tied with Iowa State's David Montgomery for most in the Big 12. Hill joins wide receivers Marquise Brown and Miles Boykin in a draft where Baltimore has focused on upgrading its offensive skill positions. This marks the first time that the Ravens have ever drafted a player from Oklahoma State.

super excited about a new guard
Round 4, No. 123 overall: Ben Powers, OG, Oklahoma
My take: The Ravens watched a lot of their coveted interior linemen get drafted in the second and third rounds, so they waited until the fourth round to address one of the biggest needs on the team. Powers will have a chance to compete for the starting left guard job immediately. Baltimore is looking to upgrade that spot after the struggles and injuries to Alex Lewis, who was the 67th graded guard by Pro Football Focus. The Ravens love Oklahoma players, and Powers is fourth Sooner to get taken by Baltimore in the last two drafts. Powers is close friends with Orlando Brown Jr., the Ravens' starting right tackle last year. ESPN's Todd McShay projects Powers to be a starting NFL guard.

Can never have enough CBs
Round 4, No. 127 overall: Iman Marshall, CB, USC
My take: Marshall brings a lot of size and experience at cornerback, which was a sneaky need for Baltimore. Jimmy Smith is in the final year of his contract, and Brandon Carr turns 33 in May. The Ravens love Marshall's ability to play the ball (36 pass breakups) and physicality in tackling. Where Marshall has to improve upon is penalties. He was flagged 16 times the past two seasons. Marshall also has no interceptions the last two years. The addition of Marshall continues a trend for Baltimore. The Ravens have selected six cornerbacks in the last five drafts, and four have been taken in the fourth round.

Or DTs
Round 5, No. 160 overall: Daylon Mack, DT, Texas A&M
My take: The Ravens bolster their depth on the defensive front with Mack, a massive space-eater who was largely an underachiever in college. The No. 6 recruit entering Texas A&M, Mack struggled with stamina before an impressive season last year. He recorded 5.5 sacks and 9.5 tackles for loss. The Ravens needed to add some talent to the middle of the defensive line because Michael Pierce is entering the final year of his contract and Willie Henry is coming off a season in which he was limited to three games because of abdomen and back injuries.

No idea what he will do, but he's very fast, rumored to play safety; maybe a Taysom Hill type player.
Round 6, No. 197 overall: Trace McSorley, QB, Penn State
My take: The Ravens drafted their No. 3 quarterback and perhaps the next Taysom Hill, using their final pick of the draft on McSorley. While Baltimore sees McSorley as a quarterback first, Penn State’s all-time leading passer might have to play different roles such as Hill did last season for the New Orleans Saints. McSorley, who was the fastest quarterback at the NFL combine, might have to excel in a do-it-all role to make the Ravens’ 53-man roster behind quarterbacks Lamar Jackson and Robert Griffin III. Baltimore has only carried three quarterbacks in the regular season once in the past nine seasons. McSorley finished as the career record-holder at Penn State for wins (31), completions (720), passing yards (9,899), touchdown passes (77) as well as rushing yards (1,697) and rushing touchdowns (30) by a quarterback. But there has been skepticism whether he can play quarterback in the NFL because of his lack of size (6 feet) and inconsistency throwing the ball (59.2 percent for his college career).

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-...ore-ravens-2019-draft-analysis-for-every-pick

Last edited:
In keeping with the 'defense strikes back' theme

I present the new-look raven's defense:

------

In other news, Buck Allen signed with the Saints which saddens me because Buck Allen was one of my favorite players, he pushed the pile every single time. I think Marlon Humphrey is my favorite Raven right now.

@iwhoopedbatman long time no see, how do our Ravens look this year to your eyes?

67371425_2996210763785058_5127079130419953664_n.jpg

Pretty tough schedule to be honest. The weakest team we play is probably the Bengals and they almost always have success against us. I still say we go 12-4 and win the division looking dominant.

Back