Shoulder Pains

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m in the middle of a layoff from boxing, kickboxing and grappling training.
Now I’m only running and doing strength circuits, by which I mean pushups, pullups and squat-jumps/lunges.
Yet, I have pain in both shoulders which I never had when training more intensively.
I know pushups and pullups can be pretty traumatic to the shoulder joint...

Any tips on how to overcome/treat this shoulder pain aside from stopping the exercises?
I’m restarting boxing and kickboxing sparring soon and would like to be in shape.

Thanks!

My GUESS is that it's not joint problem, since you have both shoulders hurt.

My GUESS is myositis. You need some rest for the shoulders, and start training them easily when you can. Also some medicines help. Some are recipe-free. If you are able to visit doctor, you could get recipe to some more stronger ones and more important doctor checks you.

I have no idea why, I read the title as Shoulder penis

My GUESS is that it's not joint problem, since you have both shoulders hurt.

My GUESS is myositis. You need some rest for the shoulders, and start training them easily when you can. Also some medicines help. Some are recipe-free. If you are able to visit doctor, you could get recipe to some more stronger ones and more important doctor checks you.
Well, the keft shoulder started first during BJJ practice when a guy was on top of me in side control and I tried a bench press-like movement to create space and heard a crack in my left shoulder. Been hurting on and off, but lately it’s been better. This was 5-6 months ago. Recently, I was doing push-ups every morning and the right shoulder started hurting as a result of that (I think). So it’s not equilateral. First it was one shoulder, then the other.

Well, the keft shoulder started first during BJJ practice when a guy was on top of me in side control and I tried a bench press-like movement to create space and heard a crack in my left shoulder. Been hurting on and off, but lately it’s been better. This was 5-6 months ago. Recently, I was doing push-ups every morning and the right shoulder started hurting as a result of that (I think). So it’s not equilateral. First it was one shoulder, then the other.

I can't tell what happened on that BJJ accident, but right shoulder could be myositis, but if the rest or rest and medicine won't help it, then it's something else.

Also if you have destroyed shoulders, weak shoulders or they are just the weak point of your body. I suggest starting doing exercises to strengthen and contitioning them in the future. With barbell, dumbells, kettlebell, bands etc. But when you have recovered first.

Man i also have shoulder pain and i stopped working out because of it. When i bench it hurts alot. Its been a month now that i havent work out. Theres stil pain in my left shoulder

Man i also have shoulder pain and i stopped working out because of it. When i bench it hurts alot. Its been a month now that i havent work out. Theres stil pain in my left shoulder

I'd give you same adviced to start conditioning your shoulders. Also when you go back to benching. Go with the narrower grip and bring the bar below your chest (far from neck), and try to find more shoulder friendly way to bench.

I also have pain in both shoulders. Negative (eccentric) work helps the most (ie: shoulder width push ups with elbows close to the body, negative rotator cuffs exercises and back exercises).

On another post someone suggested hanging from pull up bar and letting gravity pull you down. Seems to help. I do 1 min hang 2-3 times a day.

hmmmm....stop doing anything that makes your shoulder hurt.

THEN

when you do pushups, you can try to do scapula abduction/retraction/depression so you can take your shoulder of the equation on this specific press movement. You can learn how to do that in youtube, there is a lot of videos that teach how to properly bench press. Learn how to abduct/retract/depress you scapula.

and also do it when you do your pullups

that is...if you are not doing it already.

Like @frango said, don't do anything that create pain. Aslo, learn to workout around the injury.

Imo, the worst thing you can do is stop working out.

I know pushups and pullups can be pretty traumatic to the shoulder joint...

Any tips on how to overcome/treat this shoulder pain aside from stopping the exercises?
I’m restarting boxing and kickboxing sparring soon and would like to be in shape.

Thanks!

Bodyweight resistance exercises should not be high risk unless you're doing the movement incorrectly. It could be bursitis if there's any swelling. It could be many other things. Get a diagnosis from a physician if it interferes with your daily life or if it becomes chronic. You need to address the pain first via massage, foam rolling etc. Make sure you do a dynamic warmup before physical activities. If your range of motion in your shoulder joints is impaired, I would avoid exercise completely before that gets corrected, otherwise your body is just going to compensate and then you'll develop poor body mechanics in the future. Good luck.

Back