Should Sambo be an Olympic sport?

Dick_Stillhard

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I was watching this video:

After watching it, I wondered why Sambo isn't an Olympic sport. I believe there's been calls for it to become one, but what would be the reason for it not to be? Boxing is an Olympic sport, so is Wrestling, and so is Judo.

I don't see why this wouldn't be any different because it's a mix of those sports anyway. Also, seeing as Khabib is so successful in the UFC and his background is in Sambo, and on top of that people are more aware of MMA now, surely it's time to include it in the Olympics, no?

They almost eliminated wrestling from the Olympics, imagine if they would add a bastardized version of wrestling and judo only practiced in few countries.

For us combat sports fans it's a big deal, but the reality is these sports don't bring views, apparently the average person prefers to watch dressage over a wrestling match.

Squash should be in the Olympics

So should dodgeball.

And bring back tug of war

not going to be any new combat sports in the Olympics any time soon.

Nothing more tired than the thread theme: “Should such and such combat sport be an Olympic sport?”

The Answer:

A) No more combat sports will be added to the Olympics and, if anything, some may be dropped in the not to distant future.

B) Even if ine was added, it would likely be watered down to the point of near irrelevance.

Last edited:
Too bad all the Russians would be banned from it due to state sponsored doping if it ever made it to the Olympics.

It won't ever make the Olympics.

It has more chance of making it to the Olympics than MMA.

Still zero chance tbf.

I think it might be better for Sambo for not being at Olympics.

Olympic games might make it softer and weaker or something like that.

100% no, the Olympics make sports to be more 'pleasing' for spectators. They would make some stupid rule changes like they did to Judo.

They almost eliminated wrestling from the Olympics, imagine if they would add a bastardized version of wrestling and judo only practiced in few countries.

For us combat sports fans it's a big deal, but the reality is these sports don't bring views, apparently the average person prefers to watch dressage over a wrestling match.

That was only due to it's lack of popularity, they don't even stream the wrestling in my country but Judo always get decent exposure.

The world is not ready for combat sambo, even Olympic boxing is a sport in it's own right with it's limited rule set and headgear. Point fighters are more heavily endorsed.

Besides, not enough countries in the world train Sambo, it's a very niche sport like BJJ. I could only find one Sambo gym in my entire state.

It would be nice if they added it rather than karate when the olympics already has tkd.

when we have gay karate and tkd and no sambo or mma its lol tkd and karate point sparring is basically the exact same thing

Olympics overrated and an administrative cluster fook.

Olympics overrated and an administrative cluster fook.
THIS

Olympic rules turned WTF TKD into crap, messed up Judo and is now turning WKF Karate into garbage as well. I pray we get no more combat sports in the Olympics. Actually, I hope Judo and TKD gets dropped and returns to normal rules, created by legends of the respective arts and not some "spectator-friendly" goofball marketing asshats.

Back