Movies Serious Movie Discussion

I'm watching horror movies now (finally man enough)

Anyone got some recommendations ?

Watched poltergeist 1982... meh
Currently watching the witch 2015

Angel Heart is a good one that doesn't get enough praise, I kind of view that as the supernatural equivalent of Alien, very well crafted film by a brit director in Alan Parker.

Last edited:

The Thing (1982)
The Descent (2006)
The Shining (1980)
Let the right one in (2005)
The Fly (1986)
Train to Busan (2016)
Cabin in the Woods (2012)
Evil Dead 2 (1987)
It Follows (2015)

If you're looking for more visually disturbing movies you can always check out some of these.
Cannibal Holocaust
Martyrs
I Spit On Your Grave
A Serbian Film
Audition
Irreversible
The Human Centipede

Horror is pretty deep, you gotta find what gets you in a nasty but fun way.
Slashers the big three Halloween, Friday the 13th, and nightmare on elm street. The first Halloween is a classic that really devolps a lot of the tropes of what became the 80's slasher popularity. Carpenters soundtrack is fantastic as well. The second is not quite as good as the first but is really well done as far as the slasher genere became.

Friday the 13th. They are there best when not taking themselves too seriously and go for way over the top shit like part 6 and 7. 4 is my favorite of the early ones.

Nightmare is really a fun series if only for the creativity compared to the other slashers and I find myself a fan if the dark horror motifs behind it. Ghosts demons etc.. honestly the third one may be one of my favorite of the series because of the whole team concept and fighting Freddy.

Digging deeper there is Italys contributions to the genre or the giallo movies. Low budget movies heavy with gore and light on coherent plot lines. For me the fun with these titles is the effects and sometimes very well shot and directed movies. Here you can find very offensive obscene, and ridiculous movies. They are usually not fine art but are good for a laugh.
For example cannibal holocaust is credited as being the original found footage film. The brutal scenes in the movie actually had the director charged with murder until he could prove that the effects weren't real.
Once again these are B movies, but I love that sort of cheese
I like a good ghost story or haunted house jam as well.
The first season of American haunting is a good series and it pays homage to most of the tropes of haunted house genre if you are going into it without being a seasoned vet it could be quite interesting.

Stephen king.
I am a big fan of his and I can't help when he writes everything became weird or unright, not right etc.. in his books I get excited.
That being said there have been many attempts to bring his works on to film with varying levels of success.
Movies
The shining. Probably the most famous and a legitimately great movie but I prefer the story due to the heavier reliance on the demonic elements and the gripping description of alcoholism.
Salems lot. Dated but still good and has some iconic scenes, also it does a great job of making vamps not seem like teeny bop fuck boys.
The mist. Super fun horror movie with some very interesting monsters and a great twist if you don't try to hard to spoil it.
Miniseries
The shining. I prefer this one even though it lacks Kubrick because of how much closer it is to the source material.

Still talking Horror.
Japanese horror
Japanese horror movies are quite interesting in my opinion they are heavily influenced by the west but there are several directors who have put their own sick touches on what they are directing.
In particular i am a big fan of Miike movies. he usually makes movies that are weird, twisted, and over the top with gore and violence, Those are just his gangster flicks..
his most notable horrors worth checking out in my opinion are audition (already mentioned by @Johner ), One missed call, and Imprint. All of them exploring sexuality, cruelty, gruesome body horror, and Miikes own autistic views on the modern world.

in addition to those films are the japanese power house series Ring, and Grudge. Both of the films feature spooky ghost girl specters. Personally i prefer the Ring film series but i find them less frightening then the grudge series. The ring series focuses primarily on supernatural powers (telekinetic), while the grudge is more focused on curses and hauntings.

Then there is Pulse which is another well regarded J-Horror film that was remade in the west. Personally i love the Japanese version although it is not very frightening. Really it is a horror influenced post apocalyptic view of the world through Kiyoshi Kurosawa's vision. KK (not to confuse him with akira kurosawa) has a style all his own and his movies usually follow a loose narrative and are shot in very remote or empty feeling places, in Pulse he makes too seem remote and empty and frankly it is beautiful and haunting.

I finally got to rewatch Blade Runner 2049 and it held up really well, IMO. Best movie of the year to me, altho I've only seen a few.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi was like... IDK, parts of it, most of it was really bad, but then there were some cool parts. It felt like a Harry Potter movie with the force mind-connection between Kylo and Rey, and then those animals on the planet that were racing... and that was kind of cool, plus how shit went down with Luke was pretty cool at the end, but I felt like there were also a lot of problems with his character and usage as well. Overall, some neat things, mostly bad things, lol. Not sure how to grade it. Maybe 6/10.

Dunkirk is amazing. Best of the year for me. It felt like an experimental war film.

How crazy am I for thinking its more deserving for best cinematography over Deakins?

How crazy am I for thinking its more deserving for best cinematography over Deakins?

On a scale of?.....

I'm kidding. I liked it too.

It suffers from Nolan's typical inability to write a full scene properly with beginning, middle and end, but ties theme to the larger narrative as well as he always does.

Plus it tells us more than most Nolan films about why he makes Nolan films (tortured male protagonist, dead wife issues, and a bunch of other shit).

@Caveat, Ricky, and ufcfan: I'm going to start with Nocturnal Animals because that's BY FAR the best movie I've seen of the current batch of movies I've watched.

Figured you would. I genuinely can't remember what I said about it but you're good with the Sherdog searches. @Caveat and I talked about it some.

I did get hit with one jump scare,...

Which one?

The QT school is dangerous. Sort of like Bruce Lee and Jeet Kune Do: They make it look easy but it ain't for everybody.

Yeah I don't mean literally. Nobody needs to actually do the chapter thing.

Honestly, my favorite breakdown of the writing process is courtesy of Edgar Allan Poe:

"Nothing is more clear than that every plot worth the name must be elaborated to its dénouement before anything be attempted with the pen. It is only with the dénouement constantly in view that we can give a plot its indispensable air of consequence, or causation, by making the incidents, and especially the tone at all points, tend to the development of the intention.”

However you want to go about it, however you want to connect the dots, that they connect - and to the end (fitting phrase) of conveying an explicit and discernible intent - is what's important. Maybe this is why I'm finding myself so disappointed with so much of what I'm watching. It rarely feels that plots are elaborated to their dénouement ahead of time, so that I rarely feel that air of consequence and rarely get a sense of a guiding intent.

This is writing with a point in mind, and I like that. It feels a little too Bob McKee to me, but largely, I like it, particularly connection via cause and consequence, set-up and reversal.

I like the makers who follow the characters until a dénouement emerges - I'd say the Coens and Tarantino write like this. They fuck around with genre until their hearts show on the canvas. Scorsese, on the other hand writes/directs with the larger message in mind (he lives and dies by "rise and fall"). They all get it, though.

You're right. It's sort of what I've been banging on about re: Marvel, and most other stuff stretched over many episodes, movies. I know we've disagreed on the specifics, but I'm insistent that people watching more and more movies today with some level of discernment will recognise this specific issue. Right now, for most, it's simply this feeling that "something's not right".

This sounds like I don't like movies now. On the contrary, I like them more than ever. It's an exciting time. I think The Last Jedi got it right, for instance, as did Thor: Ragnarok. And the year in general has been great.

Hell, I've even come around to Blade Runner 2049 a lot since my first panning of it. Feel a little upset with myself, in fact, about my reaction.

With this in mind, I guess it's a means/ends issue. I don't have a problem with those ends - like I said, the ending of Take Shelter is a fucking home run as a sequence, as the driving home of that moment when the family clicks together - but I do have a problem with the means. His way of doing things isn't appealing to or satisfying for me.

Not sure what to do with that, to be honest. It's a classic reversal, but simply comes at the end. It pays off in that the family that stuck together got it right. And the movie spends a good amount of time carving in that struggle in the last couple acts.

This may seem like a distinction without a difference, but, for the record, I don't judge a movie's potential by who's starring but I do often decide whether or not to take the time to try a new movie based on who's in it.

You're right, it is a distinction without a difference. ;)

The equivocation that I find problematic in Arrival is discernible here: If the aliens are "simply able" to "transcend" time with the faculties they possess, then no human being, Louise included, should be capable of their "level of sophistication" in the absence of those faculties. Sort of like those animal studies where scientists can get an ape to understand the concept of death, which is fucking insane...but that's still a far cry from being at our "level of sophistication." Louise being able to understand what they're trying to say, I can buy that, but her actually ascending to their level of sophistication and being able to perceive time just as they can in the evolutionary equivalent of the blink of an eye, that I'm not buying.

It's hardly a bigger leap than literal aliens making one dude a Tessaract so he can communicate with his daughter.

Insert gif where Hardy tells JGL to embrace the dream or something.

This would seem to be another problem: Doesn't she arrive already thinking she has an ex with whom she had a daughter who died? Wasn't she already seeing the future before the aliens even showed up? This would again seem to point up that equivocation: Is it because she possesses the same faculties as the aliens (if so, WTF?) or is it because she is able to grasp the language (if so, WTF with the flashbacks/flash forwards prior to her exposure to the language?)?

Now I don't remember. LOL. Will dizzle and get back to you on this.

Last edited:

I'm new to this thread but love all sorts of films and series. I'm not a huge horror guy, it's probably my least favorite genre actually but that's probably due to not having too many great horror films coming out lately. My 2 favorites are The Shining and The Thing so I'm glad alot of you guys seem to like those as well.

Which brings me to my answer for any suggestions for horror, I didn't see anyone mention the following 2 movies and they're honestly becoming my favorite horror movies (definitely my fav horror series so far) but it's hard to compare them to The Shining or The Thing.

Creep and Creep 2. Absolutely fantastic found footage horror/thriller.
I could not highly recommend them enough if you're looking to get creeped out. I have to rewatch the first but i watched Creep 2 the other day because it was just released on netflix and you can find the first one there as well. I'm nervous about sequels and especially in this genre but this one was one of the best sequels to a movie I've seen.

I don't want to say too much about it because the less you know the better. It stars Mark Duplass and he is simply undeniable in the role. I hope some of you guys have seen it or check it out. Most found footage stuff I don't really enjoy like Cloverfield, Chronicle, or Blair Witch. Creep was probably the first found footage I actually enjoyed (some V/H/S is good too). It's one of those movies you'd watch again and again with different people because you'd get their take and reactions on it. It also seems a bit slow and weird off the bat but give it a chance and you'll be pleased.... or creeped out lol. The first one stuck with me for sooo long and the second has yet to leave my thoughts, to me that's great movie making.

I'd love to hear anyone with negative views on these movies because I'd love to debate that, or if you guys have any found footage horror that's on par with these or perhaps better let me know!

Last edited:
I genuinely enjoyed Alien:Covenant. Obviously the dumb crew and stupid moments detracted from it, but David is a fascinating character and there has never been a franchise this nihilistic and bleak. You dont see a movie with tthe villain as the main character too often, and he makes it work.

I do wish they didnt kill of Shaw though, especially offscreen

I genuinely enjoyed Alien:Covenant. Obviously the dumb crew and stupid moments detracted from it, but David is a fascinating character and there has never been a franchise this nihilistic and bleak. You dont see a movie with tthe villain as the main character too often, and he makes it work.

Its a film I'd say that suffers rather from its own strengths that make its failings stand out much more obviously.

Loved Covenant too. Went in praying for a miracle. Came out super pleased.

I have one thing to say about the new Star Wars: meh.

I liked it, too. Wasn't particularly memorable, but I was entertained throughout. You're right, the crew was making horrible decisions of Prometheus-proportions and it veered away from some of the interesting questions that the flawed predecessor raised, but it was solid.

Fass was the best part of the movie. Not only was David compelling again, but I really liked Walter and the dull, monotone American accent Fassbender gave him. The scenes between David and Walter were among my favorites in the movie. But

They really hit you over the head with a mallet in terms of setting up that a.) David was going to turn the tables on the revived Walter and kill him b.) that David was going to be on the ship with McBride and Waterston posing as Walter. It was so apparent that it hurt the ending.

I liked Waterston's character. And was glad to see they didn't go the easy route and make McBride comic relief. In fact, his character was completely serious from what I recall.

I have one thing to say about the new Star Wars: meh.

It's funny how critics loved it and SHerdog seems to have widely panned it. Go check out the thread on the film itself. Some posters are tearing it a new one.

I liked it. But many of the flaws pointed out by many of the posters on here are very valid and they bothered me during the film as well.

It's funny how critics loved it and SHerdog seems to have widely panned it. Go check out the thread on the film itself. Some posters are tearing it a new one.

I liked it. But many of the flaws pointed out by many of the posters on here are very valid and they bothered me during the film as well.
hipster era. I'm convinced people are giving these last two movies good reviews only because George Lucas isn't involved.

hipster era. I'm convinced people are giving these last two movies good reviews only because George Lucas isn't involved.

You may be right.

Though it is kind of funny how the Disney Star Wars are prompting some people to look back longingly on the prequels...

I sort of don't have a horse in this race because I enjoyed virtually every Star Wars movie, just to varying extents. But it's interesting to me how some people think the Disneys are by far the best Star Wars movies since ROTJ and others who seemingly disliked the prequels are now looking back on them more fondly because they are so virulently opposed to The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Happened to be going through Netflix and saw Atonement was on there. Had last seen it almost exactly a decade ago in theaters and remembered thinking it was quite good so figured it was time for another viewing.

Definitely an impacting film in my opinion. I like how the first forty minutes or so is really focused and intimate before the storyline expands to the war/Dunkirk element. It's also intriguing to me how much more prominent the Dunkirk crisis is in my mind after watching Nolan's film and Darkest Hour. When McAvoy and his fellow soldiers arrive on a beach and there is a long panning shot of tons of soldiers on there, I immediately thought, "wow, Dunkirk" while in 2007 when I saw it, I had no appreciation for that setpiece other than that it looked like a dire situation.

The first portion of the movie when Saorsie Ronan is prominent is definitely the better part of the film in my opinion.
There is sort of a weirdness to the whole affair- with Ronan's character being precocious in multiple ways, but also very immature and petty in other ways. The gimmick of the film presenting scenarios through Briony's eyes first and then actually establishing the context subsequent to it was highly effective. It's something that stood out to me to the extent that many of those early scenes were vivid to me even though it'd been a decade since I'd seen it.

When the film deals more with the war from both the scrambling soldier perspective and the nurse's trying to cope with
with the trauma perspective, it still remains very good, just not as memorable and distinct. The scene between Briony and the dying French soldier, as well as the ending with Vanessa Redgrave were very resonant to me.

Great score, really solid performances from Ronan, McAvoy, and Knightly, among others. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Last edited:
Just saw 'the weight of water.' It was pretty good. Can' stand Shannon after his comments on older people that might vote for trump, but saw the movie anyway.

Back