Diamond Dallas Page

I don't understand how you think that he's an overachiever if you disagree with them that's he was overrated? Oh I agree with that but petty sour grapes are the life blood of shoot interviews.
Not sure why you equate those two things.
IMO he's an overachiever because he was a guy without an amateur background, wasn't 2nd gen, didn't get broken into the business until his 30's, got himself over in a company where it was routine for top guys to bury midcarders, eventually becoming arguably the face of the company.
He's not overrated because he's generally held in high regard, but not on the level of a Taker/Austin/Hart level, which I feel is about right.

1. DDP had crossover appeal in that EVERYONE from that time period that watched knew what the Diamond Cutter was and the sign for it. Even casuals knew what the Diamond Cutter was.

2. He main evented with Hogan, Rodman and Malone. That was one of the biggest angles and events EVER for WCW.

3. They did a program on Leno. See #2.

4. He was booked for weeks in an angle with the nWo on whether he would join. This led to one of the most memorable moments in Nitro history when he turned on the Outsiders.

5. He was a multi time World Champion that main evented for several years.

I still stand by my statement that he was, for a brief period I agree, as over as Austin/Rock/HHH. He was one of the most over guys during the most over period in PW. He was not booked as a mid carder either, not sure where you get that logic. Maybe when you think of his rise to the top but once he got there he pretty much stayed.

"Midcarder" is a bit of stretch on my behalf. Regardless, he was a midcarder until '98. Even then, he was still hooked as sort of an underdog type, and the perception was never that he was on a Hogan/Goldberg/Sting level. Furthermore, he didn't win the strap until '99(that's a year removed from when they were putting it on Arquette, Russo, etc).

As far as how over he was, he was never as over as peak Austin/Rock. He was easily as over HHH; moreso actually.

Not sure why you equate those two things.
IMO he's an overachiever because he was a guy without an amateur background, wasn't 2nd gen, didn't get broken into the business until his 30's, got himself over in a company where it was routine for top guys to bury midcarders, eventually becoming arguably the face of the company.
He's not overrated because he's generally held in high regard, but not on the level of a Taker/Austin/Hart level, which I feel is about right.
I'd normally put those two together and the unders. There are exceptions though and thanks for clearing up what you meant. See that was kind of my confusion with it that you feel the high regard is about right which I suspected.

DDP should have been pushed as the top baby face.

He was super over. The fans fucking loved him. At one point he was more over than Goldberg and when they wrestled the fans were going so nuts for him.

Hogan and that crew crushed any chance he had as a headliner.

Last edited:
Macho Man pushed DDP into the main event. When he decided he would take the Diamond Cutter. Also WWE had no idea how to use him. But I still enjoyed his work there. He was a natural on the mic and pretty good in the ring for an old guy. Really enjoyed his short arm discus clothesline.

your avatar is bad....ass

Page had a lot of good matches with Goldberg, Benoit, Savage, etc.

He was the WCW's version of the People's Champ. Started going through the crowd way before Edge did.

I remember the hardcore triple threat with DDP vs. Benoit vs. Raven.

Page had a lot of good matches with Goldberg, Benoit, Savage, etc.

He was the WCW's version of the People's Champ. Started going through the crowd way before Edge did.

I remember the hardcore triple threat with DDP vs. Benoit vs. Raven.

Just imagine a younger Randy Savage vs DDP Match. That would be so good

I always liked DDP, he always seemed like he was a good dude. You wanted to root for him and he always showed nothing but effort. He was a good worker, exciting, cool marketable finisher, he has a cool name. Super over with the fans as well.

He should’ve held that title in WCW

Just imagine a younger Randy Savage vs DDP Match. That would be so good

I always liked DDP, he always seemed like he was a good dude. You wanted to root for him and he always showed nothing but effort. He was a good worker, exciting, cool marketable finisher, he has a cool name. Super over with the fans as well.

He should’ve held that title in WCW
What's crazy is that Randy savage was only 45 in 1998. DDP was 42. Savage was born 3 1/2 years before DDP.

To put that in perspective, Chris Jericho is 47, and just had a 4+ star match in Japan against Omega.

Years of coke, alcohol and steroids will fuck you up. Jericho stopped in the early 2000s, his chest caved in, and he holds a certain speed/pace now.

What's crazy is that Randy savage was only 45 in 1998. DDP was 42. Savage was born 3 1/2 years before DDP.

To put that in perspective, Chris Jericho is 47, and just had a 4+ star match in Japan against Omega.

Years of coke, alcohol and steroids will fuck you up. Jericho stopped in the early 2000s, his chest caved in, and he holds a certain speed/pace now.

Yeah DDP was much older when he got into this. I think that might have been a factor in him not being pushed harder in WWF. When he appeared there his pop was nuts, the fans were crazy for him. Savage just had many more miles on his body by the time they feuded in WCW. He was always great to watch even in wcw but in his younger years he was the best in the ring.

Yeah DDP was much older when he got into this. I think that might have been a factor in him not being pushed harder in WWF. When he appeared there his pop was nuts, the fans were crazy for him. Savage just had many more miles on his body by the time they feuded in WCW. He was always great to watch even in wcw but in his younger years he was the best in the ring.
No, the main reason was that Vince didn't make DDP a star.

He had a few really good years left in him, but after being the hottest self made wrestler in WCW other than Sting, Goldberg and Booker T, Vince turned him into a creepy stalker.

Or hell, maybe Vince was just that stupid at the time. It happens.

I still remember DDP's early matches with Johnny B. Badd. Those were great.

No, the main reason was that Vince didn't make DDP a star.

He had a few really good years left in him, but after being the hottest self made wrestler in WCW other than Sting, Goldberg and Booker T, Vince turned him into a creepy stalker.

Or hell, maybe Vince was just that stupid at the time. It happens.

I still remember DDP's early matches with Johnny B. Badd. Those were great.

When he was revealed as the stalker the fans went ape shit for him.

He was already a star, his booking couldve been better.

When he was revealed as the stalker the fans went ape shit for him.

He was already a star, his booking couldve been better.
Only because it was DDP behind the mask, and they wanted to see him in the WWF. No matter what, they would've cheered.

But in pro wrestling, the initial reaction is only the first step. Are they going to enjoy watching DDP for weeks, stalking and preying on the Undertaker's wife?

It was weird and stupid.

Only because it was DDP behind the mask, and they wanted to see him in the WWF. No matter what, they would've cheered.

But in pro wrestling, the initial reaction is only the first step. Are they going to enjoy watching DDP for weeks, stalking and preying on the Undertaker's wife?

It was weird and stupid.

Yeah that's why I said the booking could've been better. Wasn't he tag champ with Kanyon at some point. That sounds strange to me as well.

Yeah that's why I said the booking could've been better. Wasn't he tag champ with Kanyon at some point. That sounds strange to me as well.
Yeah, DDP and Kanyon were best friends IRL. Those two and Bam Bam were in a stable towards the end of WCW.

Yeah they had kanyon climb out of the cage like a bitch and then undertaker and Kane just 2 on 1 beat up ddp. You wouldn't mind but they still booked stupid tag cage matches like this for years.

Still don’t listen to the intro of Smells Like Teen Spirit without saying “Self High Five” before it takes off.

I like DDP chances against Ring master but he stand no chance against Stone Cold

Man, I admire the hell out of DDP. An illiterate bar manager from New Jersey talks and works and wills his way from being a color commentator and manager to being one of the most over (maybe the most over) out of the top guys in the number one promotion in the world. At one point, he was the most talked about wrestler in the world in mainstream media.

And, when his ring time is over, he not only doesn't flounder, he thrives by writing best selling books, developing a best selling fitness program, and saving the lives of two Hall-of-Famers.
The guy is 61-years-old and looks better than me. All of this because he worked harder than anyone else around him and because he believed in himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back