Gaming headsets

Ok, so i have been looking at building a gaming set with headphones and a clip on mike. I am liking the Sennheiser 599, But there seems to be a lot to choose from. I know I want open back, but beyond that, I don’t have much else to go on. If I chicken out, I am grabbing the Astro a-50s.
I don't have any experience with add on mics, but ModMic's get praised all over the interwebs. They're kinda spendy though.
GDL-0500_head_unit_067_RGB_1024.jpg

mm4-thumb-1_27e8fd66-6ee2-4135-aca2-5e16c3519eec_1024x1024.jpg

I don't have any experience with add on mics, but ModMic's get praised all over the interwebs. They're kinda spendy though.
GDL-0500_head_unit_067_RGB_1024.jpg

mm4-thumb-1_27e8fd66-6ee2-4135-aca2-5e16c3519eec_1024x1024.jpg

That is what I would have chosen. The stores I went to had poor choices in headphones, so I went with Astro a 50s. Though I was not terribly impressed with the a40s, I was probably the only one, so I gave them another shot.

I have not had enough time with them to say for sure, but I will make another post comparing them with the elite 800s that I returned to get the astros.

As for my plantronics rig 800, they are great. Battery life for 24 hrs, Dolby Atmos sound, comfortable. Not as clear as the elite 800, but way more comfortable and easy to use.

This cross-post is fine. Plenty of guys with knowledge in the Berry who don't frequent the VG. Some tech is interesting to the Berry, too. That's why the Smartphone thread is in here when technically it should go in the VG/Tech forum.

I am keeping the Astro a 50s, but also want to try the Audio Technica atf ad500 with antlion mod mic. How the hell would I control the volume for an Xbox?

What ever you do, don't buy headphones with a USB-only connection. Make sure they at least break down to 1/8 inch. I bought some turtle beach or whatever at an auction and ended up just giving them away cause I didn't need usb.

I have had my Astro a40s and mix amp for 4 years now and am very pleased with them. Customer service is also very good. I have moved a few times and lost the mic or a cord and they replaced and shipped for free.

Update: I have now purchased superlux hd 668b used for $25, a pair of beyerdynamic 990(wished I got the pro), an ant lion mod mic, Astro a-40s tr with he mix amp, and I am waiting for my sennheiser 598’s, which should arrive Saturday.

Let me explain why I traded a-50s for a-40s which I already owned. The mic on the a50s only worked half the time. I am sure it was a simple fix of upgrading software(which I tried) but I was sick of pissing with it. I planned on using the mix amp to drive all of the other headphones I have that have no mic or controls for volume. I could use the headset adapted on the controller, but I feel that is not going to do them any justice or drive the sets with more ohms.

I will say that there is no headphones that I own that are night and day better than the others, but there are differences.

The superlux are treble blasters, while the beyerdynamic are more bass heavy. Comfort is an issue. The superlux are not very comfortable, especially when compared with the Astro or the beyers, which are very soft. The astros are the most versatile, with the presets able to suit my needs for game or movie.

The plantronics rig 800 are very light and dependable. I have yet to have a complaint about them. And of everything that I have tried, I would probably recommend them, or the hyper x cloud 2’s over the more expensive headsets I have bought. I will probably get audio technica at some point, and with a gift card I get from Best Buy when I sell my phone back when I upgrade, I will either get a new pair of hyper x or the Logitech Artemis spectrum g993’s, which I am leaning toward simply because I have not tried those yet.

My only remaining issue is the mic volume is very low with my mod mic and I have to sort that out at some point. Actually, my astros are low volume as well, so they probably need a software upgrade.

Gaming headphones are much shittier than actual audiophile headphones. Better off getting a good pairt of real headphones and a standalone mic as the quality of both aspects will be significantly better. If you really want a pair of good gaming headphones though Sennheiser does make sets that use tech based off of (but not equivalent to) some of their audiophile lines. There are Youtube vids that compare quality as well.

Gaming headphones are much shittier than actual audiophile headphones. Better off getting a good pairt of real headphones and a standalone mic as the quality of both aspects will be significantly better. If you really want a pair of good gaming headphones though Sennheiser does make sets that use tech based off of (but not equivalent to) some of their audiophile lines. There are Youtube vids that compare quality as well.

I considered the game one or zero or the gsp, but those are a few years old. I ordered the sennheiser 598 yesterday. I plan to get a pair of audio technical as well. Maybe i go for the hype and get the ath 50x, or maybe the 700 or 900’s. This is my new addiction and I am almost ready to give handjobs for headsets.

Also, like I said, the astros and some of the other gaming sets i bought stand up to the beyers and superlux that I already have.

Also, the hyper x that I love are basically beyers with a few differences.

Last edited:
If you want to hear footsteps, use Windows Sonic. It's free and on Xbox as well.

I don't understand. The Hyper X Cloud mic is detachable, is it not? You could attatch any mic on it if the original is broken.

My Hyper X Cloud wire got fucked up and it wasn't detachable so I just recently bought the Sennheiser 558's. Great sound and very comfortable. I use Windows Sonic on Xbox to hear footsteps in Rainbow 6 Siege. It's a free app that turns the sound coming from your headphones into something like surround sound and let's you hear audio coming from above and under you.

Normal stereo will still give off better quality sound and louder base though. Windows Sonic is only good if you're playing games where hearing foot steps is very important.

I don't understand. The Hyper X Cloud mic is detachable, is it not? You could attatch any mic on it if the original is broken.

My Hyper X Cloud wire got fucked up and it wasn't detachable so I just recently bought the Sennheiser 558's. Great sound and very comfortable. I use Windows Sonic on Xbox to hear footsteps in Rainbow 6 Siege. It's a free app that turns the sound coming from your headphones into something like surround sound and let's you hear audio coming from above and under you.

Normal stereo will still give off better quality sound and louder base though. Windows Sonic is only good if you're playing games where hearing foot steps is very important.

Your cord for the hyper x got wrecked? That braided cord is the best i have ever seen.

And I am not able to find the windows sonic. I searched the store and nothing comes up. Ideas?

My sennheisers arrive tonight. Very excited. And the beyers are growing on me. I have been using them more and switch out headphones throughout my night. Right now, I am finding those to have the cleanest sound.

I have also begun to research Audio Technica msr7gm’s. So my next purchase will be either those, the ath m50x, or the ath700x. Anyone have experience with Audio-Technica’s?

I just found “sonic steamer” which runs through windows. Is that what you are talking about?

Also, it is asking me for a server. What does it want?

Last edited:
Your cord for the hyper x got wrecked? That braided cord is the best i have ever seen.

And I am not able to find the windows sonic. I searched the store and nothing comes up. Ideas?

Oh I forgot, It's already in the settings. Go to Settings, Display and sound, then Audio output. From there change the Headset format from Stereo to Windows Sonic.

You will notice the volume will be a bit louder, especially the menu.

Oh I forgot, It's already in the settings. Go to Settings, Display and sound, then Audio output. From there change the Headset format from Stereo to Windows Sonic.

You will notice the volume will be a bit louder, especially the menu.

Ok, found it. Thanks. I have Dolby atmos on there and was using that. I will give this a go. The atmos is supposed to be very good and it came with the rig 800’s.

Also, I am wearing my new sennheiser’s right now. I will give first impression thoughts a bit later, then give an initial review in a few days.

Back