The 2017 Heavies Awards - Best Walkout Song of the Year - Winner: Techno Syndrome (Mortal Kombat)

2017 Best Walkout Song of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
2017 Walkout Song of the Year

Hey everybody, thanks for participating in the 2017 Heavies Awards so far! We're back for another category of choices for you all, this time going in a different direction than fight results!

A fighter's walkout song matters - they chose it for a reason - whether it's a song that has personal significance to them, gets them psyched up, or otherwise matters to them. Some fighters pick one song and stick with it their whole career (Joe Lauzon, Donald Cerrone, Urijah Faber, etc), while others frequently change it up when they walk out (Diego Sanchez, Uriah Hall, Chase Sherman, etc).

Whatever the reason the songs were used, these were some of the best among the 914+ walkout songs used this year in the UFC. Here we go!

The Nominees!

"Fight to Survive" by Stan Bush, from the Bloodsport soundtrack, (3-0)

Used 3 times, all by Rafael dos Anjos (3-0) after he moved up to welterweight.

"Flash" by Queen, from the Flash Gordon soundtrack, (2-0)

Used 2 times, by Jared "Flash" Gordon (2-0).

"I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys, (3-0)

Used 3 times, two by Paul Felder (2-0) and once by Brett Johns (1-0), but never in Boston.

"Last Breath" by Future, from the Creed soundtrack, (4-4)

Most used walkout song of 2017, used 8 times, including three by Tony Martin (2-1), twice by Desmond Green (1-1), once by Joaquin Silva (1-0), once by Hacran Dias (0-1), and once by Anthony Hamilton (0-1).

“Techno Syndrome (Mortal Kombat)” by The Immortals, from the Mortal Kombat soundtrack, (3-0, 1 NC)

Used 4 times, three by Curtis Blaydes (2-0, 1 NC) and once by Tecia Torres as part of a mashup (1-0).

Honorable Mention:
"Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin, used once by Holly Holm at UFC Fight Night: Holm vs. Correia.
"Detroit Rock City" by Kiss, used once by Amanda Bobby Cooper at UFC 218 in Detroit.
"Highwayman" by The Highwaymen, used once by Jesse Taylor at the TUF 25 Finale.
"In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins, used three times by Darren Till (3-0) and once by Tonya Evinger (0-1).
"Jump Around" by House of Pain, used four times by Cynthia Calvillo (3-1) and once by Pedro Munhoz (1-0).
"Oblivion" by Grimes, used twice by Pat Cummins (2-0).
"X Gon' Give It To Ya" by DMX, used twice by Brian Ortega (2-0).

Extra Special Honorable Mention:
"Supersonic" by Oasis, used twice at UFC 217 by accident. HW Mark Godbeer used the song and won by DQ against Walt Harris, and then the UFC production team made a mistake and used the song again for Rose Namajunas, before she TKOed Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

"Sweet Freedom" by Michael McDonald, never used, but Rose Namajunas's actual song choice for her UFC 217 bout before the UFC messed up.

its dropkick murphys by default i guess. the rest are trash.

murphys is always gonna be forrest's song tho

Voted Fight to Survive but Rafael does not look Tanaka...

giphy.gif

Voted Flash because of Queen even though it's a pretty weird and not that good song. Fits the nickname though.

I see Till had Collins..Might vote that if it was an option..

I used to watch Pride entrances, many times, so much they were cool.
But in UFC, there are no ramp, no big screen, no show, so I really don't care about it, I used to know all walkout songs from my fav fighters, now I just don't care.

Someone needs to come out to Iron Man and pay some homage to The Road Warriors. It's quite the fighting intro with the drum beat and guitar bend.

Someone needs to come out to Iron Man and pay some homage to The Road Warriors. It's quite the fighting intro with the drum beat and guitar bend.
Tibau walks out to "Iron Man." When he comes back in Boston in a few weeks, I imagine he'll go back to it again.

gleison-tibau-ufc-fight-night-45.jpg

My personal fav is Karolina Kowalkiewicz walking out to Iggy Pop's The Passenger.

But I'm voting for Fight To Survive out of the choices given.

No offense TS but other than the Dropkick Murphy's the songs are shite imo.

Markus Perez walked out to Ecstasy for Gold...Hard to argue with that one..

Sorry @jeicex

I meant Shogun walkout music - armin van burren - sail

Which is my personal favourite

I remember when a fighter came out to terminator 2 theme song, that was hilarious and bad ass at the same time

Forgot the name of the fighter

From that poll list though

It's fight to survive

Voted for Fight to Survive as I appreciated some good 80s cheese.

If "In the Air Tonight" would have been among the poll choices, that definitely would have been my vote.

Also would have loved to see Carla Esparza's entrance music in there:

Also would have loved to see Carla Esparza's entrance music in there:
She stopped using "Harvester of Sorrow" in 2016, something about legal issues getting the rights to the song. Thanks Lars. She switched one time to "Walk" by Pantera, and for her last two fights she has walked out to "Bodies" by Drowning Pool.

Back