The 2017 Heavies Awards - Best Coach of the Year - Winner: Duane "Bang" Ludwig

Who is 2017 Coach of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
#I'mwithEdmund

Can only be one master of the craft.

I expect a black belt from him for my vote.

Definitely having trouble nailing this one down...

For me, it goes further than just their fighters and how they did this year. I'm also looking at the growth of said fighters under that person's tutelage. That makes it hard for me not to vote for either Duane or Firas. However, looking at the growth of Werdum and RDA is insane too...

This is a good one. I'm leaning toward Rafael, but I'm not sure.
With your appreciation for the intangibles, I'd love to hear who in the end gets your nod and why.

I refuse to vote until coach roddy and savant Kavanagh are added.

I vote for bang. Genius.

No Matt Hume?

I'll pick Ludwig. TJ's development under him has been nothing short of incredible. Not sure I've ever seen a fighter make such strides under any coach.

@Valhoven

You are missing one.. Justin Gaethje

He basically took an unknown 3-2 fighter, had her beat the #2 and #3 in her division and won a world title..

nicco-montano-receives-advice-from-head-coach-justin-gaethje-in-picture-id854638008

@Valhoven

You are missing one.. Justin Gaethje

He basically took an unknown 3-2 fighter, had her beat the #2 and #3 in her division and won a world title..

nicco-montano-receives-advice-from-head-coach-justin-gaethje-in-picture-id854638008
Well, Nicco went 1-1 in 2017 and the title she captured was ab initio unheld while beating a Roxanne Modafferi in claiming it. That's not a dig against Roxanne or more relevant here, Nicco, but rather a preface to asking whom of the current top 5 do you believe Nicco's coach to have outdone? I'm having a hard go seeing a one.

And Justin coached only for the 42-day duration of filming TUF 26, do I understand that right? Because career coaches are almost inarguably going to be on a different level.

If Edmund were an option everybody would be voting him just to be an idiot

Matt Hume is hands down the best coach in mma and one of the greatest minds in the history of mma. He gets my vote.

No standouts this year, I'll vote for coach Roddy.

Does RDA still train with Cordeiro? I thought he moved on

Good to see Ludwig getting some love.
Remember when everyone was on Cody's nuts hating on TJ AND Ludwig (for some reason) until they realized Cody was a dick, which was obvious on TUF, yet still people supported him. Many jumped off his nuts after the loss.

I was always with TJ. What's wrong with leaving a camp after years if your main coach for getting you the title had to move? He still split camps for a while before moving completely to Ludwigs.

Does RDA still train with Cordeiro? I thought he moved on
Rafael leave Rafael?

latest

Never in all sincerity saw anything of his leaving but confusing can be that dos Anjos seasonally associates with another gym to Kings – called Evolve. He studies world-champion MT there as well as instructs on occasion. Does that ring any bells or you reckon seeing something else entirely?

Rafael leave Rafael?

latest

Never in all sincerity saw anything of his leaving but confusing can be that dos Anjos seasonally associates with another gym to Kings – called Evolve. He studies world-champion MT there as well as instructs on occasion. Does that ring any bells or you reckon seeing something else entirely?

I thought around the time of the Ferguson fight, RDA opted to move on from Kings and start his own fight team centered around himself. Haven't been paying attention to who has been cornering recently though.

Back