WCW’s biggest f--- up

- Giving out guaranteed money:
This attracted the old, and the lazy brothers. Why would you put on good matches when you're getting paid the same, regardless of whether people turn up or not?
They don't get Hogan and Hall/Nash without them though.

- Ignoring PPV.
You got Hogan vs. Goldberg, for the first time ever, in the Georgia Dome, and it's for the title? Give that shit away for free! Nah, why make money on a supermatch?! That's stupid! They focussed so much on "beating" WWE, they gave their shit away for free. Had they have saved these matches for PPV, they'd have made money hand over fist.
Turner got all the revenue from PPV and tape sales.

Vince Russo apparently made $3 million.
Who said this?

Firing Steve Austin. not only did it get rid of an actual popular upper mid-carder but they handed other companies one of the top three wrestlers of all time

Making the nwo so big was a huge fuck up they should have kept it just a few guys.

People bring up the Starrcade 97 debacle but 98 was actually their best year in terms of business. Everyone around me just started losing interest in WCW around early 99 so I'll blame the Fingerpoke.
It wasn't an overnight reaction but it was the point of no return. It's their Operation Barbarossa if you whilll. Yeah the war lasted 3 more years but it essentially ended that night. They sacrificed the future of the company for another 8 months of riding the NWO wave. If they end it at Starcade, make Sting the guy, disband the NWO making all their top guys just singles stars, throw Hart into that mix and continue building Goldberg then they have a new batch of freshened up stars for their main event scene for years to come.

Firing Steve Austin. not only did it get rid of an actual popular upper mid-carder but they handed other companies one of the top three wrestlers of all time
they had Stunning Steve, Brian Pillman, Dustin Rhodes, Cactus Jack, and Triple H at some point in their early careers......shame

It wasn't an overnight reaction but it was the point of no return. It's their Operation Barbarossa if you whilll. Yeah the war lasted 3 more years but it essentially ended that night. They sacrificed the future of the company for another 8 months of riding the NWO wave. If they end it at Starcade, make Sting the guy, disband the NWO making all their top guys just singles stars, throw Hart into that mix and continue building Goldberg then they have a new batch of freshened up stars for their main event scene for years to come.
Sting should've squashed Hogan but people have fallen pray to WWE revisionist history and either don't know or forgot how over the Wolfpack was in 98.

It would probably be easier just to name things WCW did right post-1997, than to try and pinpoint which one of their plethora of mistakes buried the company.

The horrible booking of the Sting-Hogan match, Fingerpoke of Doom and David Arquette, WCW champion all are very high on the list.

Judy Bagwell in a wrestling match.
David Arquette winning the championship.
Vince Russo winning the championship.
Mongo as a commentator (he doesn't know how to call matches/has an annoying voice)

they had Stunning Steve, Brian Pillman, Dustin Rhodes, Cactus Jack, and Triple H at some point in their early careers......shame
...and then a few years later had Jericho, Benoit, Gerrero, Booker, etc.

you have to be the most reckless and ungrateful promoter in the world to fuck up with stars like Hogan, Nash, Hall, Macho Man, Steiners, DDP, Goldberg, Flair, Bret, Sting, and Booker T

all that talent and no direction

That´s a lot of ego right there. However, those people were sharks, which means their competitiveness towards each other made for a great product. Guys today play videogames and make youtube videos ...

That´s a lot of ego right there. However, those people were sharks, which means their competitiveness towards each other made for a great product. Guys today play videogames and make youtube videos ...
Those guys had guaranteed money though. How much they made was dependent upon what they drew. A lot of big names coasted through their WCW days, while WWF was consistently putting on great matches.

-Nash beating Goldberg
-having bums in the nWo
-weekly shock booking (turns that made no sense)

Far from number one, but I really think that they should have given Bam Bam Bigelow a world title run.

Lifelong fan of my local homeboy, Bammer, but I never saw him as a world champ. Maybe it was because of that familiarity. He was aces, though. Carried LT to a WrestleMania main event. Even Nash recounts how he told Vince during the Kliq holdout, "I don't like Scott, but he can work. Don't let him go."

you have to be the most reckless and ungrateful promoter in the world to fuck up with stars like Hogan, Nash, Hall, Macho Man, Steiners, DDP, Goldberg, Flair, Bret, Sting, and Booker T

all that talent and no direction
Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.

Lifelong fan of my local homeboy, Bammer, but I never saw him as a world champ. Maybe it was because of that familiarity. He was aces, though. Carried LT to a WrestleMania main event. Even Nash recounts how he told Vince during the Kliq holdout, "I don't like Scott, but he can work. Don't let him go."
Yeah I get what you mean, I feel that way about a lot of guys that I like but others would rather see higher on the card.

Bummed me out on one of Prichard's last podcasts when he said his and a lot of people in the office's opinion was he didn't have the it factor to get to the next level.

His wcw booking really was all over the place though, I was rewatching him coming in and fighting with Nash and Goldberg and wondering how he ended up stuck in that shitty hardcore division for so long.

giphy.gif

Lol! Indisputably #1! You win!
It's like Meltzer said, "That Gobbledy Gooker shit was the worst thing that has ever been seen in wrestling history!"
And then Dusty said, "Hol' mah beer, Cody. I'm fixin' a make some hard tahmes for Uncle Fre!"

Back