Mma striking

MarinoH

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am a taekwondo black belt(10 years of trsining) and I am 17 now. I've been training bjj for a year now. I want to be an mma fighter but my town doesn't have an mma gym. I will move to another city next year and train mma but now I am thinking about boxing for a year because boxing is my weak spot.

Can I get good at boxing in 1 year training 4 times a week

Who cares? You won't use it in Mma anyway. Your stance in mma will be completely different, as will the tactics.

Last edited:
it takes along time to get good at boxing, but learning the basic skills as opposed to not knowing them will help your mma game.

I think muay thai would be more useful for MMA as you'd also learn how to use the clinch, knees and elbows. But boxing is also a must for an MMA fighter, as is wrestling etc.

I’d say you have a lot of time and boxing is a sport that takes a long ass time to get comfortable in.

I say 1 year of boxing would be extremely beneficial, as long as you remember to round out your game after that.

you are better off blocking spacetime if you continue posting in this subforum.

just start boxing, you will learn alot in your first year.

Who cares? You won't use it in Mma anyway. Your stance in mma will be completely different, as will the tactics.
Same is said for every style that steps up to MMA. BJJ in MMA is not BJJ, certain BJJ tactics on the bottom is a guarantee you'll get your face caved in. In the clinch, going with typical MT jock to jock, legs parallel is takedown city. Shooting in wrestling with your head down is gonna get you guillotined or kneed in the face.

Every style has to make changes. But for the most part, boxing has the most useful carry over to MMA. And this is coming from a MT guy.

I am a taekwondo black belt(10 years of trsining) and I am 17 now. I've been training bjj for a year now. I want to be an mma fighter but my town doesn't have an mma gym. I will move to another city next year and train mma but now I am thinking about boxing for a year because boxing is my weak spot.
i did a lot of competitive taekwondo as a kid and then crossed into boxing. my wrestling and boxing are my main games now but the taekwondo is a really sneaky one and people are surprised by how well i kick. i recommend doing boxing first before thai boxing as punching basics and punch defense are some of the most important aspects of fighting. it is just too easy to get knocked out with a punch if you don't have a decent guard. cross over into thai boxing once you are comfortable being punched at and work on the power of your kicks and checking. i have taught myself to turn a caught leg kick into a side kick and it works a treat.

Every style has to make changes. But for the most part, boxing has the most useful carry over to MMA. And this is coming from a MT guy.
agree, even as a Dutch kick boxer.

Mma is a fist fight first and foremost. How many punches are thrown on the feet on average compared to kicks, knees and elbows? Take downs? Time on the feet vs. time spent on the mat? Boxing is hugely beneficial to mma.

Same is said for every style that steps up to MMA. BJJ in MMA is not BJJ, certain BJJ tactics on the bottom is a guarantee you'll get your face caved in. In the clinch, going with typical MT jock to jock, legs parallel is takedown city. Shooting in wrestling with your head down is gonna get you guillotined or kneed in the face.

I disagree. A lot of elite level guys are weak punchers. Wonderboy got outboxed by a wrestler!! And he still does very well in mma.

I disagree. A lot of elite level guys are weak punchers. Wonderboy got outboxed by a wrestler!! And he still does very well in mma.
His background's in Karate, and Tyron has alot more boxing exp. than he does.

WB's situation is no different than someone who decided to go MT/KB, forgo boxing, and faces your typical American wreslter/boxer fighter

agree, even as a Dutch kick boxer.

Mma is a fist fight first and foremost. How many punches are thrown on the feet on average compared to kicks, knees and elbows? Take downs? Time on the feet vs. time spent on the mat? Boxing is hugely beneficial to mma.
You could be an excellent kicker as well, but there's always the risk of getting caught and put on your back. Balance on punching is much more firm and easier to do than with a kick.

Boxing and wrestling blends with each other very well also, everything from both systems are intuitive compared to most others. There's a reason they're both up there, and its not because coaches or fighters are salty or ignorant on other systems.

So th99
His background's in Karate, and Tyron has alot more boxing exp. than he does.

WB's situation is no different than someone who decided to go MT/KB, forgo boxing, and faces your typical American wreslter/boxer fighter

You could be an excellent kicker as well, but there's always the risk of getting caught and put on your back. Balance on punching is much more firm and easier to do than with a kick.

Boxing and wrestling blends with each other very well also, everything from both systems are intuitive compared to most others. There's a reason they're both up there, and its not because coaches or fighters are salty or ignorant on other systems.

Wonderboy transitioned to full contact Kickboxing.

Counterpoint, David Teymur's recent fight against Klose. Teymur pretty much won the fight by blasting the left kick into the body, Klose couldn't catch the kick nor take him down and had a hard time getting into punching range to land his own strikes. RDA is another good example, took out Diaz with low kicks, finished Cerrone with body kicks and knees, and beat Lawler by chopping out his legs with low kicks.

While I agree that boxing is very useful in MMA, kicking is as well, and it's not as high risk as most people think it is. Problem is the kicking game in MMA is still stuck in the dark ages for the most part, there's few fighters who can time & place their kicks well. Kicking is more or less where boxing was when GSP introduced the jab 10 years ago.

Good - no.
Good enough for MMA - perhaps.
You can try out as many arts as you like and stick with the ones that feel best before you transition to MMA. Most ppl will stick to the proven formula of "MT + BJJ" but we all know that there have been Sambo-based champs, Judo-based champs, Karate-based champs etc. The "best" martial art and/or gym is not what "most people" consider the best. It's what is best for YOU - what is best suited to your character, body type, mindset, natural talents and what generally FEELS right. IMHO.

Best of luck.

Good? No. A hell of a lot better than you probably are now coming from a pure TKD background. Boxing is an essential skill for MMA, the sooner you start learning it the better.

Southpark-come-at-me_o_121814.jpg

While there are tons of MT techniques that work really well in MMA, the MT meta game really does not work well in MMA at all. The scoring and incentives more generally are just too different.

Back