The 2017 Heavies Awards - Best Sub of the Year - Winner: Demetrious Johnson's "Mighty Wiz-bar"

2017 Best Submission of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My heart says Oleinik. I knew DJ would be massively ahead but I was very happy to see his is a clear 2nd.

What seperates it for me is a HW getting a submission from the bottom of being mounted as to someone who was clearly the superior fighter on all levels.

That said, what DJ did should win every year just because

I voted Sergei just because I havent seen someone do an achilles hold that way yet

doesnt get better:

R6VkYlB.gif
Yes it does. See below GIF.

giphy.gif

DJ, submission was wild and something I’ve never seen before.

Gotta go with DJ.

For me, most of the rest were a little bit "amateur hour," if I'm honest.

I mean, how in hell do you get subbed with an Ezekial choke when you have full mount and no gi?

To be fair, Alexey has hit the Ezekiel choke......11 times. His squeeze is supposedly unreal.

Yeah. Didn't realize that when I posted.

He's a freak, 45 wins by way of submission. If he had come to the UFC before he was ancient he would probably have set an unbreakable record for most submissions in a UFC career. His squeeze pressure is so great he can hit a rear naked, from the side just using pressure alone. He compressed Travis Browne's skull.

im torn. MM's was on a more established opponent, and excellent grappler. but alexy's was from mount.

Obviouly Alexei via pulling off a choke that's basically impossible

Anyone who votes against Mighty Mouse is a god damn hater. That submission was something straight out of a video game.

Oleinik. The calf slicer and suplex armbar were flashy, but submitting a dude from mount with what is usually a gi choke is just insane. Considered Kharitonov for submitting someone with something you learn in your first week of BJJ classes, but had to go with the Ezekiel.

That Kharitonov submission is like day 1 jiu-jitsu shit, never cross your feet while on someone's back, I'm voting for it for that reason alone

Not a MM fan but has to be him. that was some computer game shit.

Honourable mentions, Brett Johns and Oleynik.

Fuck that...a Ezekiel from the guard no gi...
I know everyone will vote for the mouser...
But that was technically beautiful..
It was one of my go to moves once I got caught then taught it...

Back