The Straight Ankle Lock

Ppl tap to footlocks all the time. Doesnt mean it's not taboo. Behind ur back em black belts come out they're mouth about u. Like i said, it might be different if an erberth or panza is applying it.Being around em brazilian black belts you realize there is a WHOLE other side to the sport. It more resembles a boxing environment if anything. Sooo ye, id rather agree to disagree.

Ok.

Sorry to get off-topic, but I've benefited a lot from many of your videos. For example the floating half-guard pass off the kimura has become a go-to pass for me. Thanks!

Sorry to get off-topic, but I've benefited a lot from many of your videos. For example the floating half-guard pass off the kimura has become a go-to pass for me. Thanks!
No matter how many times I hear this, it's always amazing. Thank you!

I learned ankle lock from my Sambo coach and it is usually 90% success for me in club and competitions. I add a twist to it too.

Ive heard from brazilians that it is super taboo to tap to straight ankles at black belt.Unless it's a luiz panza type of fella they will straight up talk about u in a negative light. Im preparing my feet.

You will hear from the older guys but that because traditional ankle lock were just the bony part of the wrist putting pressure on the Achilles. Which just resulted into a "pain move".

Well that sub technique has moved up by heaps in terms of techniques and potential to destroy your ankle that it is not longer a good train of though to not tap.

You will hear from the older guys but that because traditional ankle lock were just the bony part of the wrist putting pressure on the Achilles. Which just resulted into a "pain move".

Well that sub technique has moved up by heaps in terms of techniques and potential to destroy your ankle that it is not longer a good train of though to not tap.

It is still pretty important to use the blade against the Achilles though...

That’s not true, I train with a couple of guys who normally do camps for copa podio at Caio almeida’s, people do tap to ankle locks, a lot.. and it’s coming back full force, reason being, during a long time, Ankle locks were not even considered as a viable weapon seems like, people were just not doing them right...now days, a bunch of ankle lock savages out here, cavaca panza etc...

But as always, there are exepctions, it’s a joint lock, and there are some freaks that just don’t tap to joint locks, and it’s not becaus they can take the pain better than other people (well some get their limbs broken, but that’s not what it should be like).. it’s becuae they are just freaks with extreme joint flexibility.. miyaos don’t ever tap to toe holds, ever, I don’t think there’s a way to make robson Moura tap from leg locks, or Miyaos or Mendes... Marcelo Garcia has said that his feet aren’t very flexible so he just al along avoids leg entanglements...

But for most human beings, ankle locks work...

Exactly. I do ankle locks the way I learned from Roli Delgado's DVD (who modeled his after Cavaca), and I have literally gotten a quick tap every single time it was properly applied. Further, when I apply it this way (foot pinched to my ribs, wrist bone low on the Achilles, body arching over my shoulder) I can easily feel my opponent's ankle bone twisting the wrong direction such that it will break if not for the tap.

The biggest mistake I see everybody make on the ankle lock is not posting their feet on the opponent's hip to get the necessary power and leverage (sometimes you can get this leverage via hooking under the thighs or even sitting on the knee). Instead, many people seem to either look for weird grips on the ankle, or they try to rotate their bodies into extreme belly down positions. But no matter what grip you have, you will never get a good straight ankle lock without having the proper connection to your opponent where you can put your whole body into the lock.

Exactly. I do ankle locks the way I learned from Roli Delgado's DVD (who modeled his after Cavaca), and I have literally gotten a quick tap every single time it was properly applied. Further, when I apply it this way (foot pinched to my ribs, wrist bone low on the Achilles, body arching over my shoulder) I can easily feel my opponent's ankle bone twisting the wrong direction such that it will break if not for the tap.

The biggest mistake I see everybody make on the ankle lock is not posting their feet on the opponent's hip to get the necessary power and leverage (sometimes you can get this leverage via hooking under the thighs or even sitting on the knee). Instead, many people seem to either look for weird grips on the ankle, or they try to rotate their bodies into extreme belly down positions. But no matter what grip you have, you will never get a good straight ankle lock without having the proper connection to your opponent where you can put your whole body into the lock.

Yes,foot on the hips creates a lot of pressure, I rather use the knee in the middle though, but I sort of use a hook under my oponentes knee, I use this hook to control and prevent my opponent coming up and to create distance so I can use all the torque possible with my body... it’s really really tight...

Last edited:
Is this where you apply pressure to the Achilles vs hyperextending the foot?

Yes,foot on the hips creates a lot of pressure, I rather use the knee in the middle though, but I sort of use a hook under my oponentes knee, I use this hook to control and prevent my opponent coming up and to create distance so I can use all the torque possible with my body... it’s really really tight...

My favorite and most destructive ankle lock was taught to me by a Caio Terra brown belt, where you have no leg or knee connection and aren't in any leg entanglement. You just sit on the knee of the leg you're attacking with your leg on top of your opponent and extended outward. Then get the high Achilles grip, and finish the "good" way where you're pinching your elbow and arching. It's a devastating bite on the ankle and requires no knee or foot connection; in fact one of the reasons it works so well is that your opponent will always attack your foot not realizing the serious danger he's in.

My favorite and most destructive ankle lock was taught to me by a Caio Terra brown belt, where you have no leg or knee connection and aren't in any leg entanglement. You just sit on the knee of the leg you're attacking with your leg on top of your opponent and extended outward. Then get the high Achilles grip, and finish the "good" way where you're pinching your elbow and arching. It's a devastating bite on the ankle and requires no knee or foot connection; in fact one of the reasons it works so well is that your opponent will always attack your foot not realizing the serious danger he's in.

Are you talking about the DLR ankle lock? Caio Terra himself hits that one a lot in competition.

Are you talking about the DLR ankle lock? Caio Terra himself hits that one a lot in competition.

No, but you can set it up from de la riva. Say you hit the basic DLR knockover sweep (aka the pre-berimbolo). When your opponent's hip hits the mat you extricate your DLR hook and bring your leg on top of his. Then you sit on the knee and do everything I said above. You can also hit it off a closed guard hip bump sweep if that gives you the right visual.

No, but you can set it up from de la riva. Say you hit the basic DLR knockover sweep (aka the pre-berimbolo). When your opponent's hip hits the mat you extricate your DLR hook and bring your leg on top of his. Then you sit on the knee and do everything I said above. You can also hit it off a closed guard hip bump sweep if that gives you the right visual.

So im imagining what you might mean when you say 'sit on his knee'; does it resemble this in any way?

So im imagining what you might mean when you say 'sit on his knee'; does it resemble this in any way?

It's similar mechanically, except I am literally sitting on or right below my opponent's knee with my leg extended (my foot is usually around their outside ribs, which is why they always think they can ankle lock or HH me).

It's similar mechanically, except I am literally sitting on or right below my opponent's knee with my leg extended (my foot is usually around their outside ribs, which is why they always think they can ankle lock or HH me).

Sorta like a half boston crab then?

So if you were attacking your counterparts right leg, when you say 'my foot is usually around their outside ribs', do you mean your right foot on their left ribs?

Sorta like a half boston crab then?

So if you were attacking your counterparts right leg, when you say 'my foot is usually around their outside ribs', do you mean your right foot on their left ribs?

It's a normal straight ankle lock, but instead of an Ashi garami my leg is on top of my opponents leg and I'm sitting on his knee or just under it. My right foot is somewhere out from my opponents left rib which often baits him into fishing for his own footlock. To finish I just get a standard low Achilles grip, arch over the shoulder and it's over. Mechanically, it torques the ankle the same way as in the Caio DLR lock, but picture if Caio removed the DLR hook, scooted forward, and sat on the inside of his opponent's knee.

I wonder why most people prefer ankle lock us the outside, I personally love the inside ankle lock, specially because later on, you can transfer to the inside hh... anyways, my inside straight ankle lock is better than the outside, I have also more control...

In mma rules / no rules , focusing on the outside ankle makes it far more difficult for them to upkick you in the face with the free leg.

Most high belts won't tap to a straight ankle lock... Now a tight foot lock is a different story.

Back