Nintendo just can't compete at the top any more with consoles.

Nintendo would be wasting their time trying to compete with Sony and Nintendo. Three samey consoles with jacked up price tags because of graphics that are going to be outdated in a couple years anyway? No thanks.

Their biggest titles are basically cartoons. You don't need cutting edge graphics for those games. No one should give a shit about how the light gleams off the water in a Mario game.

I'm just saying that it will be competing with similar devices that can do that, and ten million other things the Switch can't. It might not even be fair to compare them, but it's a reality the Switch faces. Same with it competing with Sony and MS. All I've heard about this thing, since it's more glaring issues have come to light, is that it's not in competition with anything, and that it's shortcomings "don't matter".

Not having video streaming services isn't a deal breaker, or anything, but it's just another strike against it, because the other systems offer it. The potential consumers of this thing, aren't going to all be gamers with other consoles that supports services like Netflix. It could be a factor to some. Probably few, but it all adds up. If you're looking at getting one console, there isn't much of an argument you can make for the Switch over the other two. If it was significantly cheaper like the Wii was, these issues wouldn't be so bad, but coming out at the same price tag is going to invite direct comparisons, and The Switch just doesn't stack up that well.

Actually, The Switch stacks up VERY well for a HUGE number of people.

WAR Nintendo!

Nintendo would be wasting their time trying to compete with Sony and Nintendo. Three samey consoles with jacked up price tags because of graphics that are going to be outdated in a couple years anyway? No thanks.

Their biggest titles are basically cartoons. You don't need cutting edge graphics for those games. No one should give a shit about how the light gleams off the water in a Mario game.
A couple years to be outdated? Lol

PC 4 life

I’ve been thinking about trading in my Wii U(never play that thing) for a Switch. Zelda, Mario, SMT. Thinking about it...

A couple years to be outdated? Lol

PC 4 life

I’ve been thinking about trading in my Wii U(never play that thing) for a Switch. Zelda, Mario, SMT. Thinking about it...

It's a good thought.

The Wii U did have great games, but faaar too few of them, whereas The Switch is going to EXPLODE even more next year in terms of new games, including many high profile exclusive ones.

had to check to see if this thread was grave dug, because I can't see anyone making a thread like, and this time, this considering how well switch is doing.

had to check to see if this thread was grave dug, because I can't see anyone making a thread like, and this time, this considering how well switch is doing.

I resurrected this thread due to the hilarity.

Whereas some people used hate to justify their anti-Nintendo perspective, competition is GOOD.

I haven't given a fuck about Nintendo since the Original came out. Why are people hyped on the switch? Isn't it just the same kids games re-hashed?

They have their own area carved out in the gaming world, the problem is whether it be new consoles or the classic editions they seem to think low in store inventory will make demand high. People now will just move onto the next thing instead of waiting, especially kids that must have everything right now.

I say that as someone that has worked retail during a wii, wii u, and nes classic launch and saw it first hand.

Interesting read the first page of this thread but to stay on topic my next purchase will be a switch in the process of selling my Wii u.

They have their own area carved out in the gaming world, the problem is whether it be new consoles or the classic editions they seem to think low in store inventory will make demand high. People now will just move onto the next thing instead of waiting, especially kids that must have everything right now.

I say that as someone that has worked retail during a wii, wii u, and nes classic launch and saw it first hand.
Maybe the demand is just high? I can't imagine being the fastest selling console in the U.S. market ever, and then hear the capitulations that they are intentionally keeping supply low to create demand actually sounding logical to people at this juncture. You can't have an artificially scarce product that is a "best seller" beating out other like products in quantity sold in the same space. It doesn't mathematically compute.

Not coming down on you specifically about this (as you aren't the only one saying this), but it just doesn't compute.

the wii was a legit phenomenon that was unanticipated. everyone and their dog wanted a wii because it was so different and novel. shit was still selling like hotcakes 2 years after launch from my vague recollection. I don't recall a system ever being that hot for that long.

i was legit surprised that people wanted the wii u. i didn't get the system and what he was trying to do and avoided buying it. my buddy bought one and to this day i have yet to have tried that system. just didn't seem like my cup of tea. it sold hot early one and then cratered cause it didn't have any great games to support it.

nes classic was an outright mistake on their part. they didn't anticipate young gamers who had never played the regular NES to be interested and yet a lot of gamers wanted this system.

As to the switch... hhmmm no they churned out as many systems as they could. it's the fastest selling console in the US right? You can't get that without producing as fast as possible. they're in stores now so it took a full year to start meeting demands.

Got a wii u cos have young kids and can play that shit with family. PS/Xbox arent as good for coop games, not getting switch though cant see how it is worth it

Why are people saying GameCube is underrated? Everyone knows it had some good Nintendo exclusives, but overall got wrecked by ps2 and Xbox with all of the rpg's it didn't get and halo.

I hate halo, btw. I'm just honest about how big of a deal it was.
Yeah I had Gamecube, and while an enjoyable console for a casual/sucker for nostalgia like me, it was another in a long line of Ninetendo consoles with maybe a dozen amazing (generally first party) games and not much else.

I haven't given a fuck about Nintendo since the Original came out. Why are people hyped on the switch? Isn't it just the same kids games re-hashed?

I'm not sure re-hashed is the way I'd phrase it. Breath of the Wild uses a familiar IP, but the gameplay certainly isn't re-hashed from previous games in the series, aside from "you can use a sword". Gameplay wise, Mario Odyssey is really refreshing and introduces new mechanics and a liviliness we haven't seen in a Mario game before.

Basically I think if these games didn't have familiar faces but instead just used original characters, things wouldn't looked rehashed at all.

I think I played my Wii U for all of about a month.

I wanted to play a new Mario game, I did, and then realized I paid too much to do so.

Have never been disappointed with a Nintendo system. Not sure why the WiiU gets a bad rep aside from the weaker system sales, it didn't have a big library (outside of indies) but what it had was very good.

Apparently the PS4 managed to move another 5.9m units just during the holidays.

I was surprised considering how well-selling the Switch is, and also that the biggest gaming phenomenon in 2017 was PUBG which is exclusive to the PC and Xbox One.

Back