Mma striking

While there are tons of MT techniques that work really well in MMA, the MT meta game really does not work well in MMA at all. The scoring and incentives more generally are just too different.

Yep.

MT clinch aka no underhooks against a wrassler. Yeah, not gonna be too great.

Weight on back leg? Bye bye sprawls

Not used to trips from the clinch as those are illegal

Hell, you can arm triangle people in MT, its technically a hold. That was an issue a but back, grapplers moving over put the nak muays there and choked them out. Played it off as a side knee KO'd him, and everyone was pissed. Couldn't do jack though, its a legal hold like a single collar

Yep.

MT clinch aka no underhooks against a wrassler. Yeah, not gonna be too great.

Weight on back leg? Bye bye sprawls

Not used to trips from the clinch as those are illegal

Hell, you can arm triangle people in MT, its technically a hold. That was an issue a but back, grapplers moving over put the nak muays there and choked them out. Played it off as a side knee KO'd him, and everyone was pissed. Couldn't do jack though, its a legal hold like a single collar

To be honest I think muay thai clinching when done properly... as in Thai style, is VERY effective. Actual Thai style clinching largely ignores the double collar tie and is about head positioning (namely below the opponents), double underhooks, body locks.

Guys like Matt Brown and Demetrious Johnson get it, you even see Overeem going for the Thai sweeps... it's just that Anderson Silva looked so good doing a double collar tie against a guy who'd never seen it before, that people just sorta thought that's what muay thai clinching is.

To be honest I think muay thai clinching when done properly... as in Thai style, is VERY effective. Actual Thai style clinching largely ignores the double collar tie and is about head positioning (namely below the opponents), double underhooks, body locks.

Guys like Matt Brown and Demetrious Johnson get it, you even see Overeem going for the Thai sweeps... it's just that Anderson Silva looked so good doing a double collar tie against a guy who'd never seen it before, that people just sorta thought that's what muay thai clinching is.

I rarely use the double collar these days and that's because my partners are great at preventing it. So I'm really in single collar 95% of the time. Still, against greco guys, I get put on my back

As much as I hate to say it, wonderboy dispelled the myth that side-on stance Kickboxing loses to wrestling bases. It can work. Yes he crosstrains, but he is still nowhere near the level of a wrestler.

So a Taekwondo base can absolutely work.

I rarely use the double collar these days and that's because my partners are great at preventing it. So I'm really in single collar 95% of the time. Still, against greco guys, I get put on my back

My game is all double underhooks and body locks, if someone tries to double collar me, if just cup their right bicep and crossface them off with the left. Or I'll pull on the bicep to get them to resist and then throw their arm up, take the back and dump. I'd say my clinching is fairly Thai style, but I imagine it's going to gradually get more and more sambo as time goes on.

My game is all double underhooks and body locks, if someone tries to double collar me, if just cup their right bicep and crossface them off with the left. Or I'll pull on the bicep to get them to resist and then throw their arm up, take the back and dump. I'd say my clinching is fairly Thai style, but I imagine it's going to gradually get more and more sambo as time goes on.
@ARIZE moo thigh is evolving

While there are tons of MT techniques that work really well in MMA, the MT meta game really does not work well in MMA at all. The scoring and incentives more generally are just too different.
this.. thai is very flat footed and if we are talking about legit fighters like atleast purple belt level with decent wrestling yeha those kicks are gonna get doubled

I am a taekwondo black belt(10 years of trsining) and I am 17 now. I've been training bjj for a year now. I want to be an mma fighter but my town doesn't have an mma gym. I will move to another city next year and train mma but now I am thinking about boxing for a year because boxing is my weak spot.
Learn the basics and fundamentals first. work, work, work. Reps are key.

I would recommend going to a pure boxing gym and getting work from someone who's been there and done that. as someone who's boxed since they were a kid (me) I'm gonna say, boxing is a whole lot different than people make it out to be. it requires a lot of cardio and focus. only time will tell how good you are at it, all a coach can do is teach you, the rest is up to you.

Back