The 2017 Heavies Awards - Best Knockout of the Year - Winner: Francis Ngannou over Alistair Overeem

2017 Best Knockout of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ngannou’s, I’ve never seen that size punch so powerful and quick.

Why is Platinum Elbow not in there?

NLeRlaE.gif

WhichGoldenAnkolewatusi-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
That Ramos vs. zahabi one was even more brutal than that gif makes it seem--zahabi was laid out flat like a board. Beautiful KO.

Recency bias will give it to Francis,

but Barboza's knee on Dariush was fucking awesome.

I seem to be in the minority as I'm not that bothered by the Ngannou / Overeem KO. It was great but Overeem gets KO'd all the time and when he realised he couldn't wrestle Ngannou he just went for broke and handed it to him really.

Voted for Paul Daley as that jumping knee looked epic

i'm with Barboza: clean, technically beautiful, perfect timing

HW KOs arent that impressive. most HWs possess KO power.
Sanchez getting KOed like that is much better, especiallz since Sanchez is know for his toughness. Platinum's KO is up there too.

Perry Hellbow belongs.

1. Perry Hellbow
2. Moraes magic Knee
3. Ngannou Shoryuken

Matt Brown's KO was just pure unadulterated violence. Diego was vulnerable, he thought about it, measured him, and crushed him.

Not that the clips should really effect anyone's choice, but I would argue that the Ramos clip is too short (and a couple others are borderline) in that it's the aesthetics of the fall, and in some cases the immediate follow up, that complete the picture of the knock out.

Gotta go with Barboza. Was beautiful and he timed Beneil perfectly. He was also losing the fight too.

Ngannou is leading the poll and I’m not surprised but he didn’t do anything that crazy. I don’t expect him to be losing any polls anytime soon because Sherdog is obsessed with him at the moment.

The way Overeem put his head wide open in the air made the KO look more spectacular. And Overeem has been KO’d like a dozen times.

I think you illustrate well the question of style vs. substance. You make valid points re: Ngannou/Overeem, but the sweeping majesty of the strike, the dramatic snap of Overeems head, and the perfect double leg twitch on the follow up punch, make it an awfully pretty one for example. One could argue that Rose's has to be #1 because it made her a world champ as a huge underdog, but aesthetically it's far below some of the other choices.

Plenty of fantastic KOs this year, but Francis literally took somebodies head off their fuckin body, so there's no real contention in my mind

It's not even a question. Ngannou damn near decapitated Overeem.

I went for Ngannou butttt.....my actual KO of the year, and I'm no fan of the bloke:

Mike Perry vs. Ellenberger.

That standing elbow was so flush, and Jake fell like a stiff piece of timber, it was picture-perfect.

Matt brown with zero hesitation..
That was craft and sheer will of a true MMA fighter to finish with a spectacular elbow that detached poor old deigo from his ancestors....

It was MMA perfection...

The one leading was a bit punch by a big puncher..good but not as good

Back