How would you shoot for a takedown on the street?

Dick_Stillhard

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Obviously in a professional wrestling environment you would have mats to save your knees from injury, but on concrete it's a different story. How would you, personally, shoot for a takedown in a street fight for e.g? Would you even bother to shoot properly or just close the distance with punches then grab them and go to work?

Obviously in a professional wrestling environment you would have mats to save your knees from injury, but on concrete it's a different story. How would you, personally, shoot for a takedown in a street fight for e.g? Would you even bother to shoot properly or just close the distance with punches then grab them and go to work?

You don’t need to hit the ground with your knee, no one fights with a bench over stance... beside if you are getting in a sf, the last thing I would worry about is a few scratches on my knee...

As I did in my early 20s, I’m shooting the same way I did from the age of 9 thru college. I’ll worry about my knee later after I’m done holding the person attacking me down with his face in the sidewalk

My knee will survive. He wont.

You don’t need to hit the ground with your knee, no one fights with a bench over stance... beside if you are getting in a sf, the last thing I would worry about is a few scratches on my knee...

Agreed. Grapplers only go low because opponents tend to be crouched as well and thus have to go low to shoot for legs. All that's required is to get past the hands and get centre of gravity under

1) get grips or a clinch
2) o soto gari
3) profit

On the street you don't even need a good shot, the chances are the guy doesn't know shit about grappling and will likely fall over with even a bent back/bent posture shot.

According to my research on Worldstar, anything you try as a trained grappler will work on a mook. Knee pound or don’t, either way, the fight will be about over.

yeha why even drop to a knee just snatch a single and dump him

exactly !!! Snatch a single and kickout his other leg with your leg. He ll try punching you and the punches will have no power and make him more off balance. once yoyr on top you ll punch him back anyways

people who train need to remember that when you fight random people on the street that they have no training so base balance 99% of guys when you grab a single or double are gonna lock onto you which makes the takedown guaranteed they arnt gonna start stuffing your head trying to get hips out ect so i think it is best to snatch a single and drag them down so then you can stand over them or mount ect

people who train need to remember that when you fight random people on the street that they have no training so base balance 99% of guys when you grab a single or double are gonna lock onto you which makes the takedown guaranteed they arnt gonna start stuffing your head trying to get hips out ect so i think it is best to snatch a single and drag them down so then you can stand over them or mount ect

The draw back is the size difference. A lot of dudes are on steroids and fat as hell, especially guys that like to make a scene.

A full grown mma fighter at 150 pounds might have childlike strength compared to some of the ogres you’ll run into.

but if a guys big and fat as soon as you snatch a single leg they are gonna normally fall on there ass if done right

I actually don't blame TS for asking this, the first double you learn is usually the drop step to get the motion down, then they move on to blast doubles and other fun stuff once you have some motor patterns built up.

Last edited:
Back