WCW’s biggest f--- up

burying johnny b badd
with a gimmick like this, that's true

JohnnyBBaddWCW.gif

mero does have kind of a little richard thing going on

I say their biggest mistake was the misuse of Brett Hart just after they signed him. The night in which he debuted on PPV....what should have been booked was Sting absolutely destroying Hogan, then after taking the title, have the whole NWO rush out to beat down Sting, only to be saved by Brett Hart, instead of the whole "fast count/restart the match" deal, when the count clearly wasn't "fast" at all.

They could have went a step further, by having the NWO turn on Hogan after the loss, Hogan go back to being his normal face character, and let Nash run the NWO: cutting ties with some/bringing some different wrestlers in to shake things up.....eventually leading to a final "showdown" for control of the company, maybe 6 months to 1 year down the road.....Could have been something like Goldberg, Hogan, Hart, Sting against Hall, Nash, and 2 more of your choosing. Could have been epic.

Raven was my second favorite (Flair) wrestler during his prime WCW run, so they did some things right with him for sure, but their mishandling of him at the end was maddening for sure.

I think they wanted to give him a big face turn/push but couldn't quite figure out how.

It´s hard to pinpoint an exact moment, however, being a huge WCW fan as I was, I would nail it down to this.

Biggest wrestling mistakes:

Sting vs Hogan. A one year build up match that was a complete mess due to the demands of a Diva that was only and always doing business for himself.

Goldberg vs Hogan. Arguably WCW biggest match, on free tv with only 3 days of advice. That set the tone for how clueless those people were in the longrun.

Final nail in the coffin:

Fingerpoke. Not only diminished the title, but that was the one time that fans finally gave up and most of the roster realized that it was the Hogan & Pals show and they didn´t even needed to wrestle add reigns to their resume.

Edit: As you can see there is a common factor in those three...

But in honesty, Raven aside and the other things people have mentioned here, Halloween Havoc with Warrior and Hogan was the straw that broke the camel's back imo.

Seriously?? A botched fireball attempt and then Horace fucking "Hogan" with a chair shot after one of the worst matches and angles of all time? That's the payoff after years and years since the amazing Wrestlemania 7 glory? That was brutal.

But in honesty, Raven aside and the other things people have mentioned here, Halloween Havoc with Warrior and Hogan was the straw that broke the camel's back imo.

Seriously?? A botched fireball attempt and then Horace fucking "Hogan" with a chair shot after one of the worst matches and angles of all time? That's the payoff after years and years since the amazing Wrestlemania 6 glory? That was brutal.
Ftfy
<LucyBless>

Firing Steve Austin. not only did it get rid of an actual popular upper mid-carder but they handed other companies one of the top three wrestlers of all time
Austin wasn't going to be SCSA in WCW anyhow. Had he stayed, he would've just been another midcarder. Looking back, even Austin himself realizes this. He needed WCW firing him while he was recovering from an injury to kick him in the rear and get going.

Biggest fuck up was Starrcade '97. They F up Hogan/Sting and they bring in Bret Hart the worst way possible.

Austin wasn't going to be SCSA in WCW anyhow. Had he stayed, he would've just been another midcarder. Looking back, even Austin himself realizes this. He needed WCW firing him while he was recovering from an injury to kick him in the rear and get going.

Biggest fuck up was Starrcade '97. They F up Hogan/Sting and they bring in Bret Hart the worst way possible.

Oh I completely agree but by firing him it gave him and WWE that opportunity.

It's not like WWE made him Stone Cold either. They gave him the lame Ringmaster gimmick and wouldn't even let him talk (Dibiase was his mouthpiece).
Even Austin himself has admitted that he deserved to be fired.

Yep. Just like Mean Mark wouldn't have been Taker in WCW or Terror Rising HHH.

Yep. Just like Mean Mark wouldn't have been Taker in WCW or Terror Rising HHH.
Correct. Hogan already there and Nash and Hall incoming, Austin would have been doomed to a life on the undercard. He went to the WWE at the right time. Alot of timing helped. The Kliq was on their way out within a year and HBK injures his back and reluctantly retires.

And yes, Austin has admitted he deserved to be fired. When he and Bischoff spoke about his firing, Bischoff said the reason he gave Austin his papers was because he called Austin after he had gotten back from the tour abroad where Austin got injured. Austin's wife answered and Bischoff asked to speak to Austin to have him come in and do some promo work and Austin told his wife to tell Bischoff to "fuck off" and Bischoff heard it. Austin didn't deny it and said he probably did say that and did deserve his papers and that if he were in Bischoff's shoes, he would've done the same thing.

It took WCW firing him, him working in ECW, and being thrown a stupid Ringmaster gimmick before he was pissed and motivated enough to go out on a limb and get more creative with his promos and stand up to Vince.

Not the biggest but giving away the Mankind title win was a huge mistake.
I didn't have access to spoilers at the time and thought there was no way Mankind would actually win. I had no plans to watch RAW that night until Tony put my butt in the seat.

Last edited:
Not the biggest but having Tony give away the Mankind title win was a huge mistake.
That occurring on the same night as the fingerpoke of doom had a compounding effect IMO. WCW basically told viewers to change the channel to watch a fan favorite win the belt, and simeltaneously shit on their own fan base with another worn-out NWO power play angle.

Not the biggest but giving away the Mankind title win was a huge mistake.
I didn't have access to spoilers at the time and thought there was no way Mankind would actually win. I had no plans to watch RAW that night until Tony put my butt in the seat.

was awesome

Seriously?? A botched fireball attempt and then Horace fucking "Hogan" with a chair shot after one of the worst matches and angles of all time? That's the payoff after years and years since the amazing Wrestlemania 7 glory? That was brutal.

WM6 bro. 7 was Hogan/Slaughter, Warrior/Savage

Not trying to be a dick it just bugged me. (Remember watching them live on PPV)

Back