2017 Green Bay Packers V2 What Gum Does Hundley Chew?

I wanted Fangio as well, but people seem to like Pettine. I dunno shit about him other than he got the most out of an extremely talented Jets defense and didn't go 0-16 with the Browns. Doesn't sound too shabby, honestly

I wanted Fangio as well, but people seem to like Pettine. I dunno shit about him other than he got the most out of an extremely talented Jets defense and didn't go 0-16 with the Browns. Doesn't sound too shabby, honestly

lmao that being an accomplishment

Well I'm just glad it wasn't an in house candidate.

Let's get this shit going.

I’m not expecting miracles off the bat (Buffalos d was terrible the year before he was there) but we need to see improvement and get out of the upper 20s and higher range for defense ranking. Hopefully he’s the guy to do it

Outside of Regis I don’t recognize anyone from that roster in the last Tweet holy shit

Outside of Regis I don’t recognize anyone from that roster in the last Tweet holy shit

Have some respect for Packers all time great Ahmad Carroll

Green was on the Packers the year after, helped cause the pick 6 in the SB

Bart Scott can’t wait

Jenkins was pretty good, got hurt that year though

Leonhard was a solid pro, Badgers legend

That was the year Revis was 2nd to Woodson in DPOY. The pass rush that year was bad yet they held 5 teams (including Patriots) to no touchdowns and had 2 shutouts

Point being they had a lot of solid-good players but one truly elite guy. You don’t need to have like 5 pro bowlers to have a good defense, a good scheme and right fits can do it too. I think there’s some decent individual talent on this team that was mismanaged, and things like Hayward, Hyde etc back that up even more

Looked it up since I was curious, GB played the Jets once in that span, 2010 they won 9-0. Rodgers completed less than 50%, Sanchez even worse. Back when the defense was good so they both offset lol

Have some respect for Packers all time great Ahmad Carroll

Green was on the Packers the year after, helped cause the pick 6 in the SB

Bart Scott can’t wait

Jenkins was pretty good, got hurt that year though

Leonhard was a solid pro, Badgers legend

That was the year Revis was 2nd to Woodson in DPOY. The pass rush that year was bad yet they held 5 teams (including Patriots) to no touchdowns and had 2 shutouts

Point being they had a lot of solid-good players but one truly elite guy. You don’t need to have like 5 pro bowlers to have a good defense, a good scheme and right fits can do it too. I think there’s some decent individual talent on this team that was mismanaged, and things like Hayward, Hyde etc back that up even more

Looked it up since I was curious, GB played the Jets once in that span, 2010 they won 9-0. Rodgers completed less than 50%, Sanchez even worse. Back when the defense was good so they both offset lol
200.gif

I wasn't watching football a ton back then cause I was never home on Sundays.

Thanks for the info. I realize a defense doesn't need 9 pro bowlers on it to be good but I hope he can make it work with what we have. I'm annoyed TT didn't spend money on guys but I also don't want the new GM to be overspending the way historically bad teams usually do. And someone needs to slap the piss out of Perry's mouth for how poorly he produced this last year after getting a fat payday.

Like, as an example, I know Ziggy Ansah is going to be a free agent most likely this offseason and while I'd love the pass rush production he CAN get (14.5 sacks) I don't want to pay the near Von Miller money he probably wants. Like, looking at his stats it feels like 2016 was just an off year or the guy (and I feel like I remember him being dinged up most of the year) but like I said, I don't want free agents getting overpaid and then us being stuck with an Albert Haynesworth type situation.

EDIT:
I know I rant about Rollins and Randall but I always seem to forget they're both converted safeties. Plus Randall STARTED pulling an Adams after the Dallas game this year only to get hurt.

EDIT 2:
Still grrring about this guy though

Hope Biegel gets some more shots this coming season. What I saw towards the end this last season he looks like he'll be decent to good. Maybe not truly elite but far better than what we have in Fackrell and a decent replacement for someone like Matthews.

When is Vita Vea expected to be picked in the draft? Top 10? I know he's probably more likely a nose tackle type and we have Clark and Adams there. Hercules Mata'afa from WSU will be in the draft too but he was a DL in college but is severely undersized for that role at the pro level at 6'2" 252lbs

Last edited:
We've lost Wolf to the Browns, he's to be assistant GM there.

I’m on board with GM hire. Seems like Gutekunst is well regarded around the league, was only a matter of time before a team gave him a GM job. Best resume among the internal guys. Read he’s trying to keep Wolf as his right hand man, but the Browns are interested in hiring him

Speaking of the Browns, saw GBs interviewing Mike Pettine for DC. Forgot he existed lol, apparently he’s been getting paid by the Browns for the last 2 years so that’s why he hasn’t had a job since. He was a very good DC in NYJ/Buffalo, tough no nonsense guy as well. I’d be ok with this

They also want to interview Gus Bradley as well, another good choice though that would likely mean switching to a 4-3

I hate coaches that are only capable of coaching one system. You have to adjust your system to fit the players you have. A good defensive coordinator can work with any system. A one trick pony is much easier to scheme against.

I've talked myself into Pettine. Very quickly actually. Next season should be fun

I've talked myself into Pettine. Very quickly actually. Next season should be fun

Why? He was on a down hill slope ever since 2009. And keep in mind that with Revis Island... He went from number 1, to 5, to 7, to 10, and after that it doesnt say since he want DC for the browns. By all means he might be better then Capers but he was constantly declining.

2010 Jets (11-5)

Rankings: Yards 4,664 (3rd), points 304 (6th), takeaways 30 (8th), 3rd down conversion 37.0% (10th), DVOA -10.9 (5th)
Notable players: CB Revis*+, CB Antonio Cromartie, LB Bart Scott, LB David Harris

The defense took a step back from its dominant 2009 form but it was still a solid top-five unit as the Jets again made the AFC title game, winning in New England along the way.

2011 Jets (8-8)

Rankings: Yards 4,993 (5th), points 363 (20th), takeaways 31 (5th), 3rd down conversions 32.7% (4th), DVOA -16.1% (2nd)
Notable players: CB Revis*+, LB Harris, LB Pace

The team’s record took another step back but the defense remained strong.

2012 Jets (6-10)

Rankings: Yards 5,174 (8th), points 375 (20th), takeaways 23 (18th), 3rd down conversions 37.2% (12th), DVOA -16.1% (2nd)
Notable players: CB Cromartie*, S LaRon Landry*, DE Muhammad Wilkerson

Revis went out with a torn ACL in the second game of the season but the defense held things together reasonably well. After the season Ryan survived but Pettine, whose contract had expired, was not retained.

2013 Bills (6-10)

Rankings: Yards 5,334 (10th), points 388 (20th), takeaways 30 (6th), 3rd down conversions 37.1% (14th), DVOA -13.8% (4th)
Notable players: MLB Kiko Alonso, DT Marcel Dareus*, DT Kyle Williams*, FS Jairus Byrd*, OLB Mario Williams*

The Bills were second in the league with 57 sacks and three members of their front seven were rewarded with trips to the Pro Bowl. Their DVOA improved from 27th in the league in 2012 to 4th. After the season the Browns hired Pettine as their head coach.

2014 Browns (7-9)

Rankings: Yards 5,857 (23rd), points 337 (9th), takeaways 29 (4th), 3rd down conversion 37.7% (11th), DVOA -3.0% (11th)
Notable players: SS Donte Whitner*, FS Tashaun Gipson*, LBC Joe Haden*, MLB Karlos Dansby

This wasn’t exactly a shutdown defense but it was an improvement over the 2013 edition of the Cleveland D. They gave up a lot of yards but they were solid in takeaways, good on third down, and very good in the red zone (5th in NFL). And, as the head coach, Pettine led the Browns to their best record since 2007.

2015 Browns (3-13)

Rankings: Yards 6,067 (27th), points 432 (29th), takeaways 21 (22nd), 3rd down conversions 39.9% (20th), DVOA 10.5% (29th)
Notable players: MLB Dansby, SS Whitner

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ins-defensive-coordinator-resume-mike-pettine

Lol yeah that list of notable players was also on a down slope. I could've ranked those teams myself

He's no Belichick but this guy also had a wobbly offense at all of those stops, which doesn't help the guys on defense

Rex Ryan spoke of him as a guy that doesn't rely on certain things, and is more than willing to mix it up

Tramon Williams loves the guy

Also the days of seeing corners line up 20 yards away from the wr seem to be over. That isn't his style at all

All of these are positives. Also won't hurt to have a dc with some fuckin fire in him

I hate coaches that are only capable of coaching one system. You have to adjust your system to fit the players you have. A good defensive coordinator can work with any system. A one trick pony is much easier to scheme against.

On that note

Well this is fuckin better than expected. Bummer about wolf leaving, but that's business i guess. No drama, looks like all the major pieces are in place for next season-and, knock on wood, they all look confident. Great, just great. Couldn't have picked a better time to come back to Wisconsin i think.

Back