Judo throw setups

Paolo Delutis

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Looking to improve my throws, i train in japanese jiujitsu which is the predecessor to judo and bjj..was wondering if any judo guys or fellow japanese jiujitsu can give me some good Jiujitsu/judo throw setups or combos...not how to do the throws so much as the setups you use to land them or get inside.. thanks in advance

Train judo. Or Sambo. There’s no point to internet advice if you don’t seriously train a stand up takedown art.

Train judo. Or Sambo. There’s no point to internet advice if you don’t seriously train a stand up takedown art.

For real. I'm a reformed Aikido black belt (now BJJ brown). I came in "knowing" about a zillion throws and "setups", none of which worked for shit when the rubber met the road. You won't have anything functional without thousands of reps on resisting opponents.

Lol didnt read my post very well did you..we do judo throws as part of my martial art.. thats where judo got there techniques from.. thats why im asking for setups or cues for throws..im not asking for advice on how to throw or whats a throw..im looking for some pointers on setups or moves guys have used to pull off harai goshis or uchi matas with more regularity..i train at a maximum 3 times a week for japanese jiujitsu and go do bag work and weights outside of JJ sessions

For real. I'm a reformed Aikido black belt (now BJJ brown). I came in "knowing" about a zillion throws and "setups", none of which worked for shit when the rubber met the road. You won't have anything functional without thousands of reps on resisting opponents.

I ageee i would be training them with resisting training partners during sparring and grappling matches..so have you found any that seem to work better then others?..

Looking to improve my throws, i train in japanese jiujitsu which is the predecessor to judo and bjj..was wondering if any judo guys or fellow japanese jiujitsu can give me some good Jiujitsu/judo throw setups or combos...not how to do the throws so much as the setups you use to land them or get inside.. thanks in advance
Hello jjj brother. I just made a similar post to yours in the standup area.(not on purpose) So keep an eye on that obe for tips. I'll keep peeping at urs to.

Hello jjj brother. I just made a similar post to yours in the standup area.(not on purpose) So keep an eye on that obe for tips. I'll keep peeping at urs to.

Great sounds like a plan, brotha thanks for the heads up ill go find it now

For something to think about TS, come up with a list of throws and pair some up that go in different directions - eg ko uchi gari/seoi nage. There are countless combinations and some work better than others. But, you might come up with some that work really well.

Check out our Channel on Youtube - Efficient judo https://www.youtube.com/c/efficientjudo

We breakdown techniques into: Basics - Set ups - Competitive variations, and we'll be back in the studio next week recording our next batch of content.

Here are some clips showing what we do:

For something to think about TS, come up with a list of throws and pair some up that go in different directions - eg ko uchi gari/seoi nage. There are countless combinations and some work better than others. But, you might come up with some that work really well.

Interesting , im aware that most reaping/tripping techniques seem to have some flows to them footwork wise , just wondering if springing and lifting techniques can be woven the same way i will definetly consider your post. Thanks

Use a backward technique (ashi-waza for me) to set up a forward throw... and vice versa.. it works! But nowadays, wchampion judoka use techniques from modified grips. Really though, just go to a judo club, they will most likely much better than your aikido club in randori and tachi-waza.

Use a backward technique (ashi-waza for me) to set up a forward throw... and vice versa.. it works! But nowadays, wchampion judoka use techniques from modified grips. Really though, just go to a judo club, they will most likely much better than your aikido club in randori and tachi-waza.

Aikido club?

I've trained judo for 4 years. What you want to do is, after grabbing him, push him aggressively...listen..timing is gold here...push n push till you feel he is going to resist n push back. When that moment comes, enter the harai goshi n execute it.
Oh yeah I forgot..before you are able to execute this flawlessly, you need to be able to drill in the steps of haraigoshi 1000 times

I've trained judo for 4 years. What you want to do is, after grabbing him, push him aggressively...listen..timing is gold here...push n push till you feel he is going to resist n push back. When that moment comes, enter the harai goshi n execute it.
Oh yeah I forgot..before you are able to execute this flawlessly, you need to be able to drill in the steps of haraigoshi 1000 times

Thanks...will try and keep this in mind for my next sparring sessions ive done it this way during grappling matches , but will try and execute it during some striking and grappling sparring next class..it should work but my only concern is becuase they can strike maybe there less likely to push back but well see thanks ..also i cant be to overly aggressive when pushing as it would open me up to thrown by harai goshi too no?

Thanks...will try and keep this in mind for my next sparring sessions ive done it this way during grappling matches , but will try and execute it during some striking and grappling sparring next class..it should work but my only concern is becuase they can strike maybe there less likely to push back but well see thanks ..also i cant be to overly aggressive when pushing as it would open me up to thrown by harai goshi too no?
I think it's better for you to research the YouTube library. It's far better explained there. And there are tons of judo videos of how to make your opponent help you execute the throw.
What I meant to cover before is, to push him aggresively but for you to stay balanced while doing it AND the goal is to make him resist the push , in such a way, all you have to do in that golden moment is to pull him slightly(it's what you normally do when entering the harai goshi) that will make him lean abit forward losing his firm balance and which will make him easier to be thrown. You only have that moment though to execute the throw, that's why the execution have to be smooth and drilled a 1000 times before during practice.
Still, I encourage you to check out the videos on YouTube regarding the various ways to set up a judo throw

I think it's better for you to research the YouTube library. It's far better explained there. And there are tons of judo videos of how to make your opponent help you execute the throw.
What I meant to cover before is, to push him aggresively but for you to stay balanced while doing it AND the goal is to make him resist the push , in such a way, all you have to do in that golden moment is to pull him slightly(it's what you normally do when entering the harai goshi) that will make him lean abit forward losing his firm balance and which will make him easier to be thrown. You only have that moment though to execute the throw, that's why the execution have to be smooth and drilled a 1000 times before during practice.
Still, I encourage you to check out the videos on YouTube regarding the various ways to set up a judo throw

Yeah ive been watching them for awhile now.. just got the forum up to see what ideas roll in..something i havent seen or tried yet

I’ve always wanted to start an Akido school, beat the hell out of my students with BJJ, and pretend that I had mastered Akido. Show some BJJ moves for extra credit, but no unrealistic “rolling” unless with me, when I know I’ll win easily.

I’ve always wanted to start an Akido school, beat the hell out of my students with BJJ, and pretend that I had mastered Akido. Show some BJJ moves for extra credit, but no unrealistic “rolling” unless with me, when I know I’ll win easily.

Aikido?..what does my post have to do with aikido

Back