Type of weigh training for weighloss

biggino

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Man so i lost over 20 lbs and i somehow regained it back in a little more then a years worth. This is beyond frustrating to me because there were no significant changes to diet or training and im super active. Well im on a 1000 calorie deficit i made it tbat high so there is room for forgiveness. I weigh currently 260 lbs again fml and am 6'2, Bf 24%. Now i run 5 k once a week and do martial arts 3 times a week at least. And to be i just like hitting weights because i dont drink or go out and thats my form of socialization. So with all my stuff what would be the best rep range for weight training? i been doing 8 to 10 range for hypertrophy, should i do more lower weight for strengh gain(4 -6) or higher rep (12-20)for endurance if i want to lose weight and keep it off in addition to all my other forms of training. Thanks in advance

Contrary to bro science, all of those rep ranges will give you muscle growth at pretty much similar rate, so from a muscle building perspective it doesn't exactly matter which one you are going to use. However if you are looking for weight loss, I'd stick with higher rep ranges as those sets will take you longer to finish (heavy rep training isn't exactly calorie demanding), or at the very least combine them with some heavy lifting as an accessory work.

What's more important tho is that in your case, I'd do giant sets. For example, your upper body work can look like this:

A. Rowing movement
B. Horizontal pressing movement
C. Obliques movement
rest 60 secs, repeat

Obviously you can do this for vertical movements, squats, deadlifts, etc.

This gets pretty brutal and gets you really fatigued provided you go hard enough. Giant sets are particularly popular with strongmen, because they need both endurance and crazy max strength combined to be on the top. Also get your diet in check.

Contrary to bro science, all of those rep ranges will give you muscle growth at pretty much similar rate, so from a muscle building perspective it doesn't exactly matter which one you are going to use. However if you are looking for weight loss, I'd stick with higher rep ranges as those sets will take you longer to finish (heavy rep training isn't exactly calorie demanding), or at the very least combine them with some heavy lifting as an accessory work.

What's more important tho is that in your case, I'd do giant sets. For example, your upper body work can look like this:

A. Rowing movement
B. Horizontal pressing movement
C. Obliques movement
rest 60 secs, repeat

Obviously you can do this for vertical movements, squats, deadlifts, etc.

This gets pretty brutal and gets you really fatigued provided you go hard enough. Giant sets are particularly popular with strongmen, because they need both endurance and crazy max strength combined to be on the top. Also get your diet in check.

Thank you for the informative reply. I was worried about reading the replies this morning because im already giving myself a hard time about the weight, didnt need to want to hear someone attack me about something. ✌

Preferably cardio and high number of reps with short rest time between sets.

During a calorie deficit, your goal in the weight room should be maintaining your strength and muscle. You should stick to lower rep scheme. Pick a strength program and try to run it best you can. Don't worry too much about getting stronger. Again your goal here is to minimize the detriment that the deficit is going to cause to your muscle/strength levels.

I would start by picking up drinking and going out. I like the greyskull lp method while still being able to progress with that amount of volume. Also I would just keep up the martial arts, eat less junk, and maybe try time restricted eating. But idk I'm no expert.

~DaViD~

I am using myfitnesspall the past two months combined with very little cardio due to injuries - about 2 km every other day and I am already 7 kg lower. The app showed me I am too high on sodium thus holding a lot of water and I have learned from it how to watch around about my micros.

I have just started a body building program and I noticed a loss in strength already.

So stick to a good diet, I recommend you the app. Add some weight lifting to maintain strength levels and some low intensity cardio and you should be good.

I am moving to a more hardcore plan now after 2 months cause I have the time.

I am using myfitnesspall the past two months combined with very little cardio due to injuries - about 2 km every other day and I am already 7 kg lower. The app showed me I am too high on sodium thus holding a lot of water and I have learned from it how to watch around about my micros.

I have just started a body building program and I noticed a loss in strength already.

So stick to a good diet, I recommend you the app. Add some weight lifting to maintain strength levels and some low intensity cardio and you should be good.

I am moving to a more hardcore plan now after 2 months cause I have the time.
im downloading the app give it a try. thanks for advice.

BTW i was looking at possibly using "supplements" and am curious what is Cardarine? i never heard it. im honestly trying tp avoid this route. as i am very competive and dont want crutches. But id be lying if i said i didnt think about using some anavar and clen or ECA. But its just a thought that most likely will never come to fruition

It's not about calories, but what you are eating and/or drinking.

It's not about calories, but what you are eating and/or drinking.

This is false and you should feel bad for saying it. It is simple. If he isn't losing weight he is eating too many calories. He needs to pick a program that will keep him going but without his diet in check then he will not lose weight. You could lose weight on oreos and pizza as long as you are in a calorie deficit. You will probably feel like crap and your body composition may be crap but you will lose weight as long as the deficit is maintained.

This is false and you should feel bad for saying it. It is simple. If he isn't losing weight he is eating too many calories. He needs to pick a program that will keep him going but without his diet in check then he will not lose weight. You could lose weight on oreos and pizza as long as you are in a calorie deficit. You will probably feel like crap and your body composition may be crap but you will lose weight as long as the deficit is maintained.

I don't feel bad at all. Why are you trying to project how bad you feel about yourself onto others?

I don't feel bad at all. Why are you trying to project how bad you feel about yourself onto others?

I didn't say you did I said you should and while you were wrong I was just joking about that anyway.

I didn't say you did I said you should and while you were wrong I was just joking about that anyway.

Well we both know calories in/calories out is too simple of an explanation (I hope).

I lost a bunch of weight with low carb/high fat diet. I never counted calories. There was some intermittent fasting thrown in with it.

Now that I'm not losing weight, I have carbs a couple of days a week.

You are right though about his diet. That is the key to weight loss. Not how much he will kill himself in the gym. He'll only be on a rat wheel that way.

@ Biggino you aren't drinking sugar in all its many forms and those nasty energy drinks? What are you eating and how often?

Well we both know calories in/calories out is too simple of an explanation (I hope).

I lost a bunch of weight with low carb/high fat diet. I never counted calories. There was some intermittent fasting thrown in with it.

You are right though about his diet. That is the key to weight loss. Not how much he will kill himself in the gym. He'll only be on a rat wheel that way.

@ Biggino you aren't drinking sugar in all its many forms and those nasty energy drinks? What are you eating and how often?
No i dont drink anything but water always..very rare i have juice...once a month... btw i did lose the 20 lbs originally i did do a calorie deficit. not low carb tyoe diet. it was balanced always as i need goood sustained energy for my lifestyle..i simply over eat, cause i eat clean as hell..i actually beem doing this since i was kid...cause i like how i feel on a clean diet.

BTW i m not asking about diet as i figured this out to a science by now.. i use a food scale too now. so i can weight to the gram. But my questjon is what type rep range would you guys use to lose weight. with all my other activities. and im in a deficit and lost 1.5 lbs in this week. i still feel energized tbh. i dont feel too weak. maybe not as big a deficit as i originally thought....i might be misestimating

BTW i m not asking about diet as i figured this out to a science by now.. i use a food scale too now. so i can weight to the gram. But my questjon is what type rep range would you guys use to lose weight. with all my other activities. and im in a deficit and lost 1.5 lbs in this week. i still feel energized tbh. i dont feel too weak. maybe not as big a deficit as i originally thought....i might be misestimating
If you feel like you have your diet dialed down, and you're already losing weight, it doesn't really matter what rep scheme you choose. If you're already running and doing martial arts AND lifting, as long as you're diet is in check you'll burn plenty calories if you have an otherwise active lifestyle.

Obviously circuit style training with more volume, less breaks and more exercises will burn more, HOWEVER, that might not be what will help you the most with your other activities like running and fighting. I would stick to the diet plan, stay active and then use the strength workouts to do what you enjoy and what helps you improve in your sport.

During a calorie deficit, your goal in the weight room should be maintaining your strength and muscle. You should stick to lower rep scheme. Pick a strength program and try to run it best you can. Don't worry too much about getting stronger. Again your goal here is to minimize the detriment that the deficit is going to cause to your muscle/strength levels.
Yeah, it's hard to get any/much strength increases while at a calorie deficit, but obviously that's what it takes to lose the weight

Calories in/calories out is simple and will ALWAYS work if counted properly. There is no debate. If it didn't work it would violate the laws of physics, specifically the first law of thermodynamics.

Diet is the key to weight loss. Seriously wtf

Back