Progressive Rock/Metal, Power and Traditional Metal Thread

Overture is basically every song on that album in different parts. You can sing everything from Home to one last time listening to Overture.

Do people actually like Dream Theatre? All their songs sound like a protracted circle jerk with each guy trying to outdo the others.

Do people actually like Dream Theatre? All their songs sound like a protracted circle jerk with each guy trying to outdo the others.
I don't find that at all. the more progressive the music, the more technical breaks and composition you will see.

They are heavily Beethoven influenced and his music was technical storm

giphy.gif

DT have tons of musical genius going on in their songs.

You mustn't have heard much by them.

I'll admit they go over board at points, but the majority of what they do is, imo, some of the best Metal out there.

I don't find that at all. the more progressive the music, the more technical breaks and composition you will see.

The guys probably just being a troll.

Even so, if people can't see the beauty in what DT or Progressive bands in general do, it's their loss.

No one's disputing their technical proficiency, but most of their tracks sound like a group of Malmsteens showing off.

No one's disputing their technical proficiency, but most of their tracks sound like a group of Malmsteens showing off.
No, they don't.

You're just focusing on Rudess and Petrucci shredding, sometimes I feel they take it a bit too far, but you're completely ignoring the great riffs they play, James vocal melodies, the atmosphere of Rudess keyboard playing...

Most of their tracks are musical genius.

If you have a problem with blistering solos, why the hell are you a fan of Maiden? Murray and Gers do JUST as much wanking when it comes to solos. Have you NOT seen Gers wanking on his guitar in Rock in Rio?

Last edited:
You admit that but then think I'm a troll for pointing it out, perhaps inelegantly, as well?
You're boiling everything they do down to a bunch of "circle jerking".

I'm saying they go overboard on ocassion, not the same thing.

If all they did was circle jerking they'd be no better than Rings of Saturn, which is unlistenable.

All their songs sound like a protracted circle jerk with each guy trying to outdo the others.

You can't be serious when you say this, or you might be using hyperbole.

But, "All their songs...circle jerk... outdo the others" is not the same as what I said Dream Theater do.

Just because they take a couple of minutes sometimes to show some really interesting pieces of playing doesn't discredit all of the amazing shit they do the rest of the time.

tenor.gif

Finally sat down today to listen to Ayreon's The Theater Equation. Man, it's amazing.

No, they don't.

You're just focusing on Rudess and Petrucci shredding, sometimes I feel they take it a bit too far, but you're completely ignoring the great riffs they play, James vocal melodies, the atmosphere of Rudess keyboard playing...

Most of their tracks are musical genius.

If you have a problem with blistering solos, why the hell are you a fan of Maiden? Murray and Gers do JUST as much wanking when it comes to solos. Have you NOT seen Gers wanking on his guitar in Rock in Rio?

Where did I criticize guitar solos specifically? A circle jerk involves more than one person lol

Where did I criticize guitar solos specifically? A circle jerk involves more than one person lol
Then what are you critcizing about Dream Theater? It's the guitar and keyboard solos where they sometimes go off the rails.

Maiden can be just as bad with their solos.

And yeah, it does, Maiden has 3 guitar players who wank, one after the other LOL.

Last edited:
You bring up DT sounding like a bunch of Malmsteens trying to outdo eachother, yet you're a fan of a band who has been known to do just that at times.

Hypocrite.

It's funny though, Gers said in an interview once that "so many guitar players just fast nowadays with no soul"

Then you see him AND Murray wank their hands raw in Rock in Rio.

Last edited:
Then what are you critcizing about Dream Theater? It's the guitar and keyboard solos where they sometimes go off the rails.

Maiden can be just as bad with their solos.

And yeah, it does, Maiden has 3 guitar players who wank, one after the other LOL.

That's only after Smith came back, and their solos are rarely overdone. It's odd you keep bringing up Maiden when I use the second album's pic, which should be a sign of which period I prefer.

DT sounds over-produced and technical for the sake of being technical, like Malmsteen. The music just doesn't sound that good, which is why their following is so much smaller than other metal bands.

You bring up DT sounding like a bunch of Malmsteens trying to outdo eachother, yet you're a fan of a band who has been known to do just that at times.

Hypocrite.

It's funny though, Gers said in an interview once that "so many guitar players just fast nowadays with no soul"

Then you see him AND Murray wank their hands raw in Rock in Rio.

Maiden has never been accused of that. You must be drunk or high or both.

That's only after Smith came back, and their solos are rarely overdone. It's odd you keep bringing up Maiden when I use the second album's pic, which should be a sign of which period I prefer.

DT sounds over-produced and technical for the sake of being technical, like Malmsteen. The music just doesn't sound that good, which is why their following is so much smaller than other bands.
And yet are still overdone, all the same.

Funny, again, you bring up Maiden only doing it sometimes, that's the same thing I said about Dream Theater. They're technically more skilled, so they show it, but they make amazing music too, just like Maiden. They don't just wank all the time.

Solos can often be an over-indulgence in ones own abilities anyway.

Murray has been doing his own legato version of wanking forever. That's his style.

And LOL at you defending yourself as being "just a fan of their early stuff"

DT have an early history where they didn't over-indulge as much too, their first few albums, some of the tracks I posted already are from those albums, yet too you "All their songs sound like a protracted circle jerk with each guy trying to outdo the others."

That statement was wrong, bottom line.

Here's some of their best songs from Awake where they aren't wanking much at all outside of the solos.

They have alot of songs that don't overindulge.

Malmsteen overinduldged 99% of the time btw. His first album was entirely him playing fast leads.

DT don't do that, they actually compose a song and throw some interesting pieces in there, at the end of the day there's still a core song that they focus on, it's not just a bunch of wankery.

And I honestly don't care who's more popular.

I will point out though, Maiden started 10 years before and were active/part of the revival of Heavy Metal, so it's no wonder they have a bigger fan base, it's not about who's better necessarily. The guys have put in more years of touring and were fortunate to have been part of a time when Metal was big.

Dream Theater didn't release their second album until the early 90's when grunge took over, so...

Last edited:
Maiden has never been accused of that. You must be drunk or high or both.
They've never been accused of wanking?

Are you serious?

That's all Dave Murray's or Janick Gers solos are sometimes.

Now you're just lying.

What're the solos in this song if NOT mostly wankery?

Come on dude. Murray's solo especially.

Last edited:
And yet are still overdone, all the same.

Funny, again, you bring up Maiden only doing it sometimes, that's the same thing I said about Dream Theater. They're technically more skilled, so they show it, but they make amazing music too, just like Maiden. They don't just wank all the time.

Solos can often be an over-indulgence in ones own abilities anyway.

Murray has been doing his own legato version of wanking forever. That's his style.

And LOL at you defending yourself as being "just a fan of their early stuff"

DT have an early history where they didn't over-indulge as much too, their first few albums, some of the tracks I posted already are from those albums, yet too you "All their songs sound like a protracted circle jerk with each guy trying to outdo the others."

That statement was wrong, bottom line.

Here's some of their best songs from Awake where they aren't wanking much at all outside of the solos.

They have alot of songs that don't overindulge.

Malmsteen overinduldged 99% of the time btw. His first album was entirely him playing fast leads.

DT don't do that, they actually compose a song and throw some interesting pieces in there, at the end of the day there's still a core song that they focus on, it's not just a bunch of wankery.

And I honestly don't care who's more popular.

I will point out though, Maiden started 10 years before and were active/part of the revival of Heavy Metal, so it's no wonder they have a bigger fan base, it's not about who's better necessarily. The guys have put in more years of touring and were fortunate to have been part of a time when Metal was big.

Dream Theater didn't release their second album until the early 90's when grunge took over, so...

You're so sensitive, are you their manager? The only thing maiden overdoes is the storytelling and even that is usually limited to one or two tracks per album, but the music is still listenable and the songs aren't annoying.

All metal has solos, no one's criticized that, so the fact that you keep bringing it up is a poor attempt at deflection. You're obsession with turning everything back to Maiden shows your insecurity that less technical musicians have been immeasurably more successful than DT.

They've never been accused of wanking?

Are you serious?

That's all Dave Murray's or Janick Gers solos are sometimes.

Now you're just lying.

What're the solos in this song if NOT mostly wankery?

Come on dude. Murray's solo especially.

You really are an idiot. I've repeated several times that my criticism isn't related to solos, yet there you go again, crying about solos. If you think Killers is overdone then you're not even arguing from a position of sanity anymore. And Gers wasn't even around till Prayer, so stop obsessing over him.

Back