What happened to Sugar Ray Robinson in the Mayweather Jr GOAT discussion?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How come Sugar Ray Robinson is out of the the discussion about Mayweathers jr legacy as greatest of all time or not? Robinson was once 71-1-1 or something like that. Freakish record. And really the inspiration for the term pound for pound.

Anybody know why it's all Ali vs Mayweather nowdays?

Was Robinsons opposition too weak?

SRR is pretty much at the top of every regular ATG list on this board.

Its hard to tell since there is little footage of him. He had a great record and fought like every other week but his opponents looked like a bunch of Jeff Horns. I personally think boxing and boxers have evolved a lot since then. I think today boxers are more knowledgeable about nutrition, training and boxing in general.

Just look at the few fights of him on YouTube. Look at the way his opponents fight and move. Concentrate on the small things. I mean we'll never know but based off the eye test I personally don't think the fighters back then are as good as fighters today. The same way based off the eye test I think a fighter like Errol Spence is better than Jeff Horn. They're both undefeated and there's a chance I could be wrong but when you observe the way they fight you can see who's better.

128-1-2 to be exact. From what I've seen he's almost always put at #1.

SRR is pretty much at the top of every regular ATG list on this board.

Should be added though that a good portion of the posters here (and elsewhere too) are dumb sticks with no own opinion.

Robinson had draws and losses in his prime, ducked the Murderers Rows ...and as far his huge number of wins goes ... well, if they say that Chavez beat a lot of cab drivers in between his signature wins, what does that say about Robinson who competed even more than Chavez?

Lots of Robinsons wins were at sparring level...at least for him...maybe his overchallenged opponents went through hell.
Floyd and Pacquiao constantly fought world class opposition. Leonard too.

IMO Leonard beats him, Tommy Heanrs beats him, Hagler and Hopkins too.

Its hard to tell since there is little footage of him. He had a great record and fought like every other week but his opponents looked like a bunch of Jeff Horns. I personally think boxing and boxers have evolved a lot since then. I think today boxers are more knowledgeable about nutrition, training and boxing in general.

Just look at the few fights of him on YouTube. Look at the way his opponents fight and move. Concentrate on the small things. I mean we'll never know but based off the eye test I personally don't think the fighters back then are as good as fighters today. The same way based off the eye test I think a fighter like Errol Spence is better than Jeff Horn. They're both undefeated and there's a chance I could be wrong but when you observe the way they fight you can see who's better.

I saw a few rounds of the Carmen Bastillio fight and it was pretty boring/unremarkable by todays standards. Was Robinson a "boring" fighter style-wise?

here's good example by ESPN's Don Rafael:

Robinson was undefeated as an amateur, and, at one point as a pro, he was 128-4 and had a 91-fight unbeaten stretch.

Plus, he didn't cherry-pick opponents. He fought the best of the best when they were on top of their games, unlike Mayweather, who has mostly feasted on older or smaller guys since he became a welterweight.

This is the typical "black & white footage vs. modern era" bollocks ... how did he compile such a record withouth cherry picking? No man on his planet fights 10 world class opponents within a year.

If you want to beat Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Ortiz, Cotto, Guerrero, Canelo and Maidana in a row, you'll need a professional training camp,
which is physically very demanding and which can't be done in a short span of time.

There’s a bellend on this bird who basically tells you you’re an idiot if you name an old time fighter in an atg discussion. Aside from that I don’t think you’ll see anyone with a brain have srr outside the top ten.

There’s a bellend on this bird who basically tells you you’re an idiot if you name an old time fighter in an atg discussion. Aside from that I don’t think you’ll see anyone with a brain have srr outside the top ten.

Oh shit, the tough guy is back. I thought you wanted to beat me up?
What were you again? 6'7, 320 pounds and bullying sisters?

You're still a mental midget. I would just slap you around a little and buy you ice cream afterwards in order to dry your tears.

How many all time greats did Mayweather Jr beat when they were in their prime? Shouldn't that be taken into concideration?

Oh shit, the tough guy is back. I thought you wanted to beat me up?
What were you again? 6'7, 320 pounds and bullying sisters?

You're still a mental midget. I would just slap you around a little and buy you ice cream afterwards in order to dry your tears.
I have no idea what I told you because that is how the internet works right? Why are you following me around saying you’re going to beat me up? Giving we both like combat sports and trash talk we probably would be friends, you know in the real world. I’m not 6’7”, I’m not 320lbs and I don’t come from San Salvador. Oops. I will always throw down if a friend is in trouble so I’m not a complete moron. Have a good day sugar tits.

Prime Ali was not an old time fighter?

This might be of interest to you OP. A panel of boxing pundits voted on their top 15 fighters in history. This was before the Floyd and Manny fight. https://sports.yahoo.com/news/where...-all-time-boxing-greats-062113734-boxing.html
f1b5b7c0-eca3-11e4-b201-81d7761d1908_top-25-new.jpg

Yeah princely will trash your list because he thinks he knows the answers. If you have a list without Ricardo Lopez on there I’m in the disagree camp I haven’t looked at it in detail.

I see you recovered from the past days and regained some confidence.
Just wait until I catch you post some bullcrap tough, so I can take that confidence away from you.

Should be added though that a good portion of the posters here (and elsewhere too) are dumb sticks with no own opinion.

Robinson had draws and losses in his prime, ducked the Murderers Rows ...and as far his huge number of wins goes ... well, if they say that Chavez beat a lot of cab drivers in between his signature wins, what does that say about Robinson who competed even more than Chavez?

Lots of Robinsons wins were at sparring level...at least for him...maybe his overchallenged opponents went through hell.
Floyd and Pacquiao constantly fought world class opposition. Leonard too.

IMO Leonard beats him, Tommy Heanrs beats him, Hagler and Hopkins too.

It's not like you have to be dumb with no own opinion to put SRR on top of an ATG list, and having your own opinion isn't necessarily a good thing if it's mostly for the sake of sounding different. It takes 10 minutes on Google to be well aware of SRR's ups and downs, many people in here went much deeper, and they still rank him at the top spot.

As for any ancient or modern champion, his resume can be downplayed, but the bottom line is that he did achieve a lot. There are still many hall of famers, world champions and ranked fighters in his resume if you take out the bums. He avenged in dominant fashion his draw against Basora as well as 2 losses out of the 3 he had in more than 130 pro fights (the 3rd loss was to a LHW world champ and hall of famer, and SRL had started at LW) before retiring for several years and getting over the hill. Then as a shot fighter he beat some pretty big names. All in an era when boxing was fairly popular and attracted some serious athletic talent.

As for several other ATGs, his ducking opponents tends to be exaggerated. Some versions of the Burley talks make it clear that he wasn't that interested either in a SRR fight, and a guy like Hollman Williams was already declining when SRR moved to 160. To each his own opinion of where SRR belongs on the ATG list, I guess. As long as you don't call him an invincible god or a vastly overrated fighter, it does fly.

Last edited:
Back