New Intel Security Flaw Fix Could Slow All Intel CPU''s Up To 30 Percent

My Windows 10 desktop only now got the update, and even that seemed wonky. As in Windows Update said there was an issue and to try again later, but then I restarted after installing Nvidia's drivers and Windows did its thing like it would have normally. Update history says it worked, so whatever I guess.

Like I posted above, there's a lot of fanboyism and media blowing this way out of proportion.
There's security flaws that are patched all the time, we just don't know about them. The only reason we heard about this is that is was leaked and someone broke the NDA.

Let's get one thing straight I currently don't have anything running with AMD inside. Second Intel multiple times screwed people over in the past. Everything from a floating point defect to these issues currently.

The CEO dumped a bunch of his stock ahead of this news. You want to put complete blind faith into a company that treats this like a bandage?

Someone just dumps 400 dollars on a CPU an there is a defects that could leave them open to massive security breeches. That seems like someone should get at least a partial refund or hardware replacement.

But no I am a fanboy who totally in love with AMD. I am just tired of the secrets an backdoor deals Intel makes to protect their near monopoly over the market.

Let's get one thing straight I currently don't have anything running with AMD inside. Second Intel multiple times screwed people over in the past. Everything from a floating point defect to these issues currently.

The CEO dumped a bunch of his stock ahead of this news. You want to put complete blind faith into a company that treats this like a bandage?

Someone just dumps 400 dollars on a CPU an there is a defects that could leave them open to massive security breeches. That seems like someone should get at least a partial refund or hardware replacement.

But no I am a fanboy who totally in love with AMD. I am just tired of the secrets an backdoor deals Intel makes to protect their near monopoly over the market.

So you're talking about the floating point defect from almost a quarter of a century ago?
<Huh2>

Come one son.

Will anyone be held accountable?

Well Intel trying to change the conversation.

Intel has announced a 49-qubit quantum chip at CES 2018, with CEO Brian Krzanich calling it a major breakthrough in quantum computing and the next step to "quantum supremacy".

CES 2018

The Big Trends for Business

CES showcases the tech trends that will shape the year ahead. See the most important products that will impact businesses and professionals.

Read More

During the Intel keynote, Krzanich said Intel's labs and researchers are "committed" to advancing quantum computing, with a Netherlands-based lab specifically testing and building quantum computing systems.

Intel did not disclose any timeline details for the quantum chip.

Other advanced computing systems being tested by Intel include neuromorphic computing the form of its artificial intelligence (AI) test chip Loihi, which was announced in September.

According to Krzanich, Intel now has a fully functioning neuromorphic chip that after a few weeks is already performing simple object recognition in the labs. In the coming years, Krzanich said Intel will put Loihi in the hands of partners to explore use cases.

Krzanich had kicked off his CES 2018 keynote by addressing Meltdown and Spectre, saying it is "truly remarkable" how so many tech companies have come together to research and resolve these issues."

So you're talking about the floating point defect from almost a quarter of a century ago?
<Huh2>

Come one son.

Come one son? Is some kind of sexual thing? New to me?

The day Linus destroyed Intel.

"
In an email to a Linux list this week, Torvalds questioned the competence of Intel engineers and suggested that they were knowingly selling flawed products to the public. He also seemed particularly irritated that users could expect a five to 30 percent projected performance hit from the fixes.

“I think somebody inside of Intel needs to really take a long hard look at their CPU’s, and actually admit that they have issues instead of writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed,” Torvalds wrote. "

This is one guy who understands the problem not a bunch of Intel tolls.

"“Or is Intel basically saying ‘we are committed to selling you shit forever and ever, and never fixing anything’?” he added. “Because if that’s the case, maybe we should start looking towards the ARM64 people more.”"

https://gizmodo.com/linus-torvalds-is-not-happy-about-intels-meltdown-and-s-1821845198

The day Linus destroyed Intel.

"
In an email to a Linux list this week, Torvalds questioned the competence of Intel engineers and suggested that they were knowingly selling flawed products to the public. He also seemed particularly irritated that users could expect a five to 30 percent projected performance hit from the fixes.

“I think somebody inside of Intel needs to really take a long hard look at their CPU’s, and actually admit that they have issues instead of writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed,” Torvalds wrote. "

This is one guy who understands the problem not a bunch of Intel tolls.

"“Or is Intel basically saying ‘we are committed to selling you shit forever and ever, and never fixing anything’?” he added. “Because if that’s the case, maybe we should start looking towards the ARM64 people more.”"

https://gizmodo.com/linus-torvalds-is-not-happy-about-intels-meltdown-and-s-1821845198
While I understand the sentiment, none of that addresses the already existing infrastructure that is built on this flawed hardware, neither does it realistically tackle any of the real logistical issues of correcting the problem existing on what is in place (and what has been fully implemented) fro the last decade. While Torvald can competently create a viable OS, he is still at the mercy of the hardware required to run his OS. Maybe he can throw in and help the people who are the mercy of this instead of throwing shit at the wall and hoping to influence people towards a product that doesn't have any real market presence.

While I understand the sentiment, none of that addresses the already existing infrastructure that is built on this flawed hardware, neither does it realistically tackle any of the real logistical issues of correcting the problem existing on what is in place (and what has been fully implemented) fro the last decade. While Torvald can competently create a viable OS, he is still at the mercy of the hardware required to run his OS. Maybe he can throw in and help the people who are the mercy of this instead of throwing shit at the wall and hoping to influence people towards a product that doesn't have any real market presence.
That's the way Linus rolls yo. It's funny to see people's reactions when they think he's a nice lovable guy but find out he's an angry, bitter ass hole.
He ripped nVidia a new one a couple of years ago with an epic rant.

The fix is available. Where is he saying fuck you Intel?

I saw an article today that said a patch was pulled back after causing some computers to fail to boot.

I also ran the latest iOS updates on phone and iPad while charging them and the battery status looks really low so soon after charging and I didn't really do anything much.

Back