Fedor vs Mir booked for April 21st

Mixfight

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bellator’s year-long heavyweight tournament to choose the division champion begins on January 20 with Quinton Jackson vs. Chael Sonnen.

The rest of the opening round is bracketed as follows.

Matt Mitrione vs Roy Nelson
Bellator TBA
February 16
Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, Connecticut

Fedor vs Mir
Bellator TBA
April 21st
Allstate Arena, Rosemont, Illinois

Ryan Bader vs. Muhammed Lawal
Bellator TBA
May TBA
SAP Center in San Jose, California

There has been some controversy over the inclusion of Fedor Emeliananko. The greatest heavyweight of all time has struggled of late. He lost his last fight, to Matt Mitrione, in 74 seconds. And before that, he lost a remarkably controversial hometown decision to Fabio Maldonado. During a recent conversation with Kevin Iole, Bellator president Scott Coker addressed the issue.

“When you talk about heavyweights, like with Mitrione, they both punch each other in the face, knock each other down, Mitrione got up a little faster . . . and then he finished Fedor,” said Coker, as transcribed by Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting. “But it could easily went the other way. Yes, guys that are fighting into their thirties should not be fighting 21 year old kids like he was doing in the past but this is the perfect tournament for him.

“He wanted to come in. He said to me – through Jerry, the translator – I know that this is the fourth quarter for me and I want to compete, and I would love to be Bellator’s heavyweight world champion. When Fedor asks you that, what are you gonna do? Are you gonna say no? You have to say yes so we did and we gave him that respect and he’s gonna have an equal shot just like everybody else.”

“If you look at him and Frank Mir, Frank Mir’s coming off some losses, Fedor’s coming off some losses. This is kind of an equal fight in my mind and it’s gonna be great.”

“I believe that he hasn’t decided yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if he fought the tournament out and won the tournament, that he would retire the tournament champion and the heavyweight champion. What a way to have a great send off.

“Or if he loses the first fight to Frank Mir and gets stopped, he might call it a day too.”

Last edited:
Is this right? Mir's suspension isn't up until April and I thought that's when the fight was taking place?

Could they actually fight somewhere like a reservation in between suspensions? Hoping this is a real date...

Maybe they made a mistake.

Maybe its Fedor vs Mir in April and Matt vs Nelson in Feb.

Fedor vs Mir is supposed to happen in Chicago in the month of April

Last edited:
I hope Fedor employed Khabib's doctors and got his prime back.

non USADA Mir smashes current Fedor.

Yeah this is wrong I thin, Fedor/Mir in April, Meathead/Nelson in Feb and I think Mo/Bader in May.

Again, if a fighter is suspended, could he or she fight on say an Indian reservation in the mean time?

Why are they spreading the tournament fights across different cards? Kinda kills the whole tournament feel

Why are they spreading the tournament fights across different cards? Kinda kills the whole tournament feel

I'm looking at this as "Bellator Presents The Ultimate Fighter Redemption: Heavyweights and Fat Lightheavyweights"

Have absolutely no hopes for fedor nowadays. best case scenario is that he makes it past mir, and loses his second fight.

What an uninspiring fight (more so when Mir KOs Emelianenko).

Should've cashed in on Emelianenko-Sonnen while they could.

As well as terrible uninteresting matchups. 1st round have been paired so badly. Fedor vs Mir is about the only one they got right.

A win means a lot for both men’s legacy. Even a few years past their best both are at the same stage of their career so IMO it’s the best matchup they have put forward,

At least they didn’t do a Mo vs Rampage right.

Fedor vs Sonnen
Mo vs Nelson
Bader vs Mir
Meathead vs Rampage

These would have been a better way to go. And without doubt they should have fought on the same night.

Also they still haven’t announced an alternate fighter(s)

Carwin/Kongo/Sergei etc.. should be waiting in the wings because someone is bound to get injured or fail a drug test!

A win means a lot for both men’s legacy. Even a few years past their best both are at the same stage of their career so IMO it’s the best matchup they have put forward,

At least they didn’t do a Mo vs Rampage right.

Fedor vs Sonnen
Mo vs Nelson
Bader vs Mir
Meathead vs Rampage

These would have been a better way to go. And without doubt they should have fought on the same night.

Also they still haven’t announced an alternate fighter(s)

Carwin/Kongo/Sergei etc.. should be waiting in the wings because someone is bound to get injured or fail a drug test!

After seeing the Sonnen vs Wandy fight, i think Sonnen would defeat Fedor at this point in his career.
I don't want to hear Sonnen bragging about beating Fedor.

So is Fedor fighting Mir at the Mohegan or not?

I agree, but they can still do that fight down the line. Sonnen is an easy win for Fedor, good retirement bout.

I agree, but they can still do that fight down the line. Sonnen is an easy win for Fedor, good retirement bout.

I dont think Sonnen is an easy win for Fedor. I think Fedor can win but if his last few fights have shown us anything, he's done having "easy" fights.

Back