NINTENDO SWITCH Official Discussion v3: Still noobs at online gaming

Didn't see the Direct this morning, but read YS: VIII is going to hit the Switch. Perfect game to add to the Switch Library.

Nice I was going to pick this up on PS4 eventually once the price went down. Glad I waited.

Nice I was going to pick this up on PS4 eventually once the price went down. Glad I waited.

Same here. I have YS: Seven and YS: Memories of Celcita on my Vita and they are great games, made even better playing them on the go. Having this on the Switch to have on the go or on the TV is outstanding.

Fuck yeah - The World Ends With You (later this year) and Dark Souls (May 25) confirmed.

I played TWEWY almost 10 years ago. One of my favorites, not underrated but definitely didn't get the fanfare it shouldve. Best game ever made for the Nintendo DS imo.

I played TWEWY almost 10 years ago. One of my favorites, not underrated but definitely didn't get the fanfare it shouldve. Best game ever made for the Nintendo DS imo.

I bought it twice on the DS (lost one copy somehow) and when I had an iPhone. Definitely one of my favorites on DS

I bought it twice on the DS (lost one copy somehow) and when I had an iPhone. Definitely one of my favorites on DS

Now that I think of it, I honestly can't think of any nintendo game off the top of my head with a better more engaging story tbh.

Now that I think of it, I honestly can't think of any nintendo game off the top of my head with a better more engaging story tbh.

I was slightly interested in this but after hearing this I'll be keeping an eye on it. Always enjoy a game with a good story.

That mini direct was pretty good. The World Ends with You, Ys 8 and that new Mario Tennis game caught my eye.

Never played any Ys games, are they good JRPGs?

I was slightly interested in this but after hearing this I'll be keeping an eye on it. Always enjoy a game with a good story.

It's really good story, the characters are really well done. You kinda get attached to them all in their own ways, one of my personal favorite stories on any game console. Plus the Shibuya setting is really cool and sucks you in, which is saying something for a handheld game.

Combat was a bit confusing at times on the DS, because you had to control both top screen using D-pad to attack, while attacking on the bottom using the stylus if I remember correctly. Interested to see how combat is on the Switch compared to the DS.

This is honestly one of my all time favorite games, probably favorite handheld game. Wish they would hurry up and make a sequel already, this is one game that truly deserves it. Was such a unique game when it came out and honestly it still is.

It's really good story, the characters are really well done. You kinda get attached to them all in their own ways, one of my personal favorite stories on any game console. Plus the Shibuya setting is really cool and sucks you in, which is saying something for a handheld game.

Combat was a bit confusing at times on the DS, because you had to control both top screen using D-pad to attack, while attacking on the bottom using the stylus if I remember correctly. Interested to see how combat is on the Switch compared to the DS.

This is honestly one of my all time favorite games, probably favorite handheld game. Wish they would hurry up and make a sequel already, this is one game that truly deserves it. Was such a unique game when it came out and honestly it still is.
The soundtrack is stellar and so is the art style.

That mini direct was pretty good. The World Ends with You, Ys 8 and that new Mario Tennis game caught my eye.

Never played any Ys games, are they good JRPGs?

The more current ones are like a cross between Zelda and Secret of Mana, but at like 4x speed. There are dungeons with equipable loot like Zelda that boosts your character or helps clear obstacles. You have multiple party members that you can switch on the fly that have different skills and attacking attributes like Slash/Crush/Pierce that are more effective against different enemies.

The game play is more hack and slashy than either Zelda of SoM, and I was worried when I started playing that it would just be about mashing buttons. The general world enemies fall under this, but the boss battles really surprised me that you have to use a lot of strategy. If you try to run up and slash away, you'll end up looking at the Game Over screen pretty quick.

Based on Dunkey's review I am going to pick up Furi on Switch to check that out. I like that type of music so it should be decently fun.

The more current ones are like a cross between Zelda and Secret of Mana, but at like 4x speed. There are dungeons with equipable loot like Zelda that boosts your character or helps clear obstacles. You have multiple party members that you can switch on the fly that have different skills and attacking attributes like Slash/Crush/Pierce that are more effective against different enemies.

The game play is more hack and slashy than either Zelda of SoM, and I was worried when I started playing that it would just be about mashing buttons. The general world enemies fall under this, but the boss battles really surprised me that you have to use a lot of strategy. If you try to run up and slash away, you'll end up looking at the Game Over screen pretty quick.

This sounds right up my alley so I'll be keeping an eye out on this game. Are all the games standalone stories or do I have to play some of the others to understand?

As for combat, I typically like my JRPGs turn based (actual turn based, no ATB gauge garbage) but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 completely changed my view on action based JRPGs.

This sounds right up my alley so I'll be keeping an eye out on this game. Are all the games standalone stories or do I have to play some of the others to understand?

As for combat, I typically like my JRPGs turn based (actual turn based, no ATB gauge garbage) but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 completely changed my view on action based JRPGs.

The lead character Adol is recurring character, but from what I remember in Ys: Seven he had lost his memory so there was no back story from previous games needed. I don't remember how the opening in Celcita went, but from what I remember the back story wasn't necessary. I've only played the last 2 so I can't speak to the earlier games, but they took place on different continents so I'm sure they referenced past characters like in Persona games, but you can pick up anyone in the series and start fresh.

Based on Dunkey's review I am going to pick up Furi on Switch to check that out. I like that type of music so it should be decently fun.

He's probably by favorite video game reviewer. In fact he's the only one I watch. Sometimes his accent sounds weird to me but whatever, his reviews are usually good and he really takes the time to edit and bring out the humor.

No need to reference previous games. The only ones that are like that are Ys I & II and they're sold in a bundle together. All the other ones that you will find are either a prequel to the whole series (Ys Origin), or it skips to Ys VI (Ark of Napishtim). If I remember, Ys III: Wanderers from Ys is a side-scroller (the only in the group) and was released in English for the SNES and Sega Genesis. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun, and Ys V: Kingdom of Sand have never been localized into English (you can find them on the Super Famicom and PS2 respectively). Those games take place in a top-down view like LoZ or SoM, just like the rest of the games in the series.

If you're interested in the other games, you can find the majority of them on Steam. I recommend them all, but Ys I & II (Chronicles) is pretty hard to get back into if you get familiar with the newer engine of the games from VI and after.

Man, if I knew it was going to hit the Switch I would have waited. I picked up the PS4 version a few months ago.

Last edited:
Back