Is 5'10 considered too short for an Amateur Heavyweight boxer today?

LatinTerminator480

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Just wondering since I'm a 22 year old college student who just considered getting back into competing into boxing. I used to compete as a Middleweight-Light Heavyweight(165-178lbs) during my mid-late teens standing between 5'9.5-5'10 tall. Then I stopped competing at around age 18 to work a job while balancing my college schedule. Now, I'm trying to get back into amateur boxing again. However, I completely outgrew my previous weight classes and now weight 232lbs and it isn't mostly body fat either. It's more muscle(basically short and stocky built kinda like Mike Tyson and David Tua). I'm gonna have to fight on the inside more often against a weight division where the average height these days are between 6'3-6'5

Last edited:
No, just got to fight to your advantages and style. Throw low blows if needed

If you’re body composition makes you land naturally at 232 you’re going to have to fight bigger fighters. If you’re kidding yourself and you’ve got 28 unnecessary pounds that make you able to cut to cruiser it’s a matter of being honest to yourself.

And yeah your autocorrected. Sue me.

I would say that you have an uphill battle but if you cant cut the weight you cant so fight to your strengths

All depends on your skill set and physical abilities. Tyson, Qawi, Hamed etc were all short for their weight class but successful.

I walk at around 178 to 185, got no problem cutting to 160 on a months notice. You're young man and I think amature heavyweight is around 210 it shouldn't be an issue for you to fight there. You might surprise yourself, you might be able to get down to 176 in a year or so.

Just attack what's in front of you...the body. I see so many shorter guys headhunt and it drives me nuts. Learn to move your head and don't let a young Tyson fool you...that shit is harder than it looks.

Do you understand the kind of living you can make becoming the modern day 'King of the 4 Rounders'?

I never say never, they said Tyson was too small too and even Marciano but.., 5-10 is too short, nothing sadder than seeing a shorter guy, even a talented shorter guy just get potshotted and not being able to do anything about it. It happened to tyson time and again later in his career, I never watched the Lewis-Tua fight but from what i heard it was the same thing. Heavyweights are huge today, even bigger than they were when tyson and marciano were fighting. I wouldn't have much faith in anyone that size regardless of talent unless they are like a young Tyson, freakishly intense, fast, defensive and powerful.

Don't. If you have to ask, you probably should be sticking to a weight class that matches your height. You aren't the exception if you are asking. If you are 238, you likely have a lot of weight to shed.

If you are just boxing for fun, it doesn't matter because all the huge good guys move on quickly from your level. Let's not pretend there are a million 6'7" boxers out there that would make you uncompetitive at club boxing.

No, just make sure you box to the correct style that will suit your height\build\attributes

I can't see what you look like but it's real easy to be over 200 pounds, not really be all that fat looking but still have a lot of fat that can be lost. Unless you're built like a tyson, you've got a lot of fat on you. It's easy to do, I'm not that fat looking either but I am obese now, i'm 5-10 and 230, back when i was training, i was less than 160, i still train but it's hard to get my weight down at my age. I'm nowhere near a heavyweight i can tell you that but when i tell people i'm too fat, they either, out of of kindness or because I don't have a huge belly say "you're not fat". I'm fat as fuck now. For me, it would be 90% diet to get my weight down because 3-4 hour workouts aren't accomplishing a damned thing.

You'll be boxing at Super HW in the amateurs unless you can shed the pounds and get down below 200lbs. The fighters at SHW will be too tall and long for you. You may be muscle but if you just train pure boxing with cardio supplemented in I'm sure you'll lose a lot of that weight even if it is muscle. Do you weight train currently? If you do then maybe think of giving that up.

Are you even training? If not, your weight might be way out of whack, and you just don’t know it.

bro you got alligator arms or what? height dont matter.

The average amateur heavyweight boxer is a spud with 0 technique and 50% bodyfat.... you should be fine.

With your body composition if you're fighting fit at 235lbs, you're in the wrong sport. You should've gone become a damn wrestler lol.
Depends on your training regime and current body fat ultimately.
Get your body in perfect condition for 12 round fights and you'll see how much leaner you get, and your functional muscle for boxing would be lower than your current weight right now.

I wouldn't say it is. Some of the greatest heavyweights have been 'shorter' than the average heavyweight boxers nowadays but they still accomplished a tremendous amount.

Joe Fraizer, Rocky Marciano, Mike Tyson to name a few.

And in the UFC, 5'10 Mark Hunt beat the 7 foot Stefan Struve. I know that's MMA and not boxing but it's still a height difference of over a foot and he still beat him.

I'm not saying height doesn't play a part, it does. But if you have the talent and train hard, there's no reason why you can't become a heavyweight boxer at 5'10.

Seriously, unless you have KO power in both hands I cannot see a 5'10 HW being competitive in this day and age.

Forget about the Tyson comparison, he was an enigma and was groomed for the belt from the age of 15.

Back