Which fighter ever could win slugfest with Hagler?

Mike McCallum who every major champ ducked.maybe.

Wasn't kid greb a light weight or something?

Might have to go back to a jake la motta

I love fight sports nostalgia. Its always no current fighter could touch previous fighter. Then current fighter retires and becomes a mythical unbeatable figher too.
Well, the question is who would beat Hagler in a slugfest. I can think of lots of guys who could outbox him but beat him slugging it out? No one beat Hagler like that.

Well, the question is who would beat Hagler in a slugfest. I can think of lots of guys who could outbox him but beat him slugging it out? No one beat Hagler like that.
Which I agree with. I said it wasnt specific to this discussion.

In a shootout eh it’s hard to say.... I think monzon beats him narrowly in a war but very few if any beat Marvin in a shootout

I agree with this it’s just hard to see anyone beating Marvin like that

I don't think Golovkin could his defence would get hims topped his best chance would be his jab.
McCallum was a monster so maybe him but if Hearns couldn't?
Lamotta would be interesting and the fight would be sure to go the distance. I would favour Hagler though he would land the cleaner punches even in a brawl.
James toney? The had the power, chin, handspeed, defence. He had just about everything to stand toe to toe with just about any fighter ever. I don't think there is any boxer ever up to CW who could stop James Toney. Samuel Peter couldn't stop an ancient fat and shot Toney so how would anyone beside some really dangerous HWs. At MW certainly no one ever could

McCallum might've been able to get to his body, considering Hagler's skull is about as tough as a bull's I'd assume a vicious body puncher could get more done than a headhunter. Mike also had a hell of a chin.

GGG is the only other guy I'd give a chance to win off the top of my head, if we're talking slug fests. Gerald's a good shot too as well as Jackson who could ko a statue. Going with the Body Snatcher as the best shot to maybe get to the body well enough to win a banger.

James Toney could and wouldn't even blink, while getting hit by Marvin, but Toney probably would gas, Middle weight was his weakest weight class, but James would go, 12 full rounds with Hagler, maybe not 15.

Mike MacCallum could go toe to toe, 15, rounds, he took James Toney"s, punching power and

Julian Jackson, could go, toe to toe with Marvin and would encourage it, but Julian, Jackson's chin wouldn't hold up.

Gerald McClellan could, he was going toe to toe, with everyone at the time of his championship years, he was practically going up against monster punchers, until he got hurt really bad. Gerald was bigger and stronger then Hagler and wouldn't even back up.

Julio Cesar Chavez jr, due to his massive size advantage and weight advantage, Chavez jr, could go toe two toe with Hagler, would he win? hell no. Chavez would get out pointed by Marvin Hagler, Marvin would be to busy of a fighter to lose to Chavez jr. Hagler isn't knocking Chavez jr out, no way in hell. But Jr isn't catching Marvin either, Hagler"s work rate is to high for Jr to handle.

Gerald McClellan vs John 'The Beast' Mugabi

Julian Jackson vs Gerald McClellan 1

Julian Jackson vs Gerald McClellan 2

Mike MaCcallum vs Roy Jones jr.

Chavez jr vs Sergio M.

Julio Cesar Chavez jr, due to his massive size advantage and weight advantage, Chavez jr, could go toe two toe with Hagler, would he win? hell no. Chavez would get out pointed by Marvin Hagler, Marvin would be to busy of a fighter to lose to Chavez jr. Hagler isn't knocking Chavez jr out, no way in hell. But Jr isn't catching Marvin either, Hagler"s work rate is to high for Jr to handle.
Chavez jr vs Sergio M.

<{cruzshake}>

Hagler, isn't knocking out Light Heavy weight Chavez Jr and Chavez Jr isn't backing up from a inside fight with Marvin either, no way in hell Chavez Jr, backs up against Hagler, from a inside toe to toe fight.

Hagler, isn't knocking out Light Heavy weight Chavez Jr and Chavez Jr isn't backing up from a inside fight with Marvin either, no way in hell Chavez Jr, backs up against Hagler, from a inside toe to toe fight.
He wouldn't have to back away, his body would give out.

Blown up LW Duran and ATG Antefuermo could do,it, but obviously it’s beyond the realm of possibility that Hopkins or GGG could.

Nice thread. Nobody. BUT to find sound competitors, you would have to go back in time when boxers used to genuinely FIGHT, clean or ugly - most often ugly.

Who is in with the best chance?
Hearns without a broken hand in the first round.
GMan is not a bad shout.
Graziano, Zale, Zivic could get in there and be very dangerous.

If anyone theoretically is going to stop Hagler in history, it's Charley Burley late (and that's not a slugfest).

Last edited:
Hagler better hope, Gerald MacCallum, or Jackson, doesn't knock him out, because don't forget Sugar Ray, did buzz him a couple of times and Hearns rocked him once, but Marvin"s chin though, jesus he took some bombs. Don't forget, Gerald was, 6, ft, 1, he was a huge middle weight , so it wouldn't surprise me if Gerald didn't knock Hagler out.

Toney or Golovkin would be the only ones I would give a chance to.

Toney was just so sharp and he fought very well on the inside. He also had a great chin, excellent defense, and good power at mw. Toney doesnt get near as much credit as he deserves.

Golovkin has a great chin as well and legit 1-punch ko power to boot. He's also an excellent boxer.

Somebody else already said it, but honorable mention to Julian Jackson. That guy had scary power. He regularly knocked guys stiff that had never been ko'd before. He would've only had a puncher's chance though...which is a slim one because we're talking about Hagler.

All still maybes. Hagler was a fucking beast. I don't even remember him being wobbled and he fought some heavy-handed dudes.

Toney or Golovkin would be the only ones I would give a chance to.

Toney was just so sharp and he fought very well on the inside. He also had a great chin, excellent defense, and good power at mw. Toney doesnt get near as much credit as he deserves.

Golovkin has a great chin as well and legit 1-punch ko power to boot. He's also an excellent boxer.

Somebody else already said it, but honorable mention to Julian Jackson. That guy had scary power. He regularly knocked guys stiff that had never been ko'd before. He would've only had a puncher's chance though...which is a slim one because we're talking about Hagler.

All still maybes. Hagler was a fucking beast. I don't even remember him being wobbled and he fought some heavy-handed dudes.

Toney, at middle weight, was his weakest weight class though, i think Hagler takes James at 160, but Marvin isn't knocking Toney out. At super middle weight James Toney, beats Hagler, 12 unanimous D.

Back