Sparring stories from the masses

One was really early in my training, I met this cool guy he was a chubby indian kid about 20 and we were doing a bit of sparring on the outside, and then in the ring there was a regular training partner of mine who did not look like the sorta guy you'd fuck with. He was a big six foot tall black guy, i believe a middleweight.

So we were chatting after our round and he asked if we wanted to spar. I was up for it because i trusted the dude, and we did a few rounds and he obviously got the better of me. Then the chubby indian kid gets in, and despite never training before in his life, had a hell of a go of it.

He got kicked back and instead of panicking, he went into some kung fu stance, just for the show, before reverting back to his muay thai stance and began fighting out and even through a fucking HEAD KICK.

Missed by a mile, but he still went for it. After me and the big black dude were talking in the changing room, and we were pretty impressed, thought he was a natural.

Had never trained before, but was looking pretty mighty.

As far as i'm aware he never went on to fight but still - had promise.

Sometimes you can just tell when someone is just a damn natural. I really think everyone has something that theyre almost a natural at or it comes super easy to them. Whether its body type or mentality or both i think people should at least try to go that path (kinda a "born to do it" type thing i guess?)

I suck at fighting and am the only person under middleweight at my gym. Every time I spar I get my ass kicked, but usually its buy belt holders in Australian boxing so it's not that bad.

I genuinely dont know how to feel about this so im just gonna...
<Goldie11>

I get that, its not that, you just said you get your ass kicked but its not that bad. Like they play around with you softly type thing?

Awhile back I used to be real paranoid about shitting in public toilets and immediately after leaving home for work, I felt some nasties coming up, spend the whole day cooling it off and I did.

Felt good for sparring, went in against the top ammy prospect, and for some reason he was really working on body shots. I felt it surge and wanna drop out, but it was a fight, and I was not gonna let #2 splash all over the $200 mats and be a legend.

After, I bolted home (took an hour), plopped my ass on the toilet and BFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, had to plunge that down, and shit in 2 rounds instead of 1.

My 3rd fight, I was set to fight this guy and I felt the exact same thing, then they DQ'd him for lying about his record, I thought if we fought it wouldn't be so bad, then 15min later, I couldn't take the rumblings and sat on the toilet (got over the paranoia of public toilets at this point), and "let er rip", good thing I did because damn, adrenaline + devastating bodyshots would have me be the laughing stock of the already tiny combat sport community.

Awhile back I used to be real paranoid about shitting in public toilets and immediately after leaving home for work, I felt some nasties coming up, spend the whole day cooling it off and I did.

Felt good for sparring, went in against the top ammy prospect, and for some reason he was really working on body shots. I felt it surge and wanna drop out, but it was a fight, and I was not gonna let #2 splash all over the $200 mats and be a legend.

After, I bolted home (took an hour), plopped my ass on the toilet and BFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, had to plunge that down, and shit in 2 rounds instead of 1.

My 3rd fight, I was set to fight this guy and I felt the exact same thing, then they DQ'd him for lying about his record, I thought if we fought it wouldn't be so bad, then 15min later, I couldn't take the rumblings and sat on the toilet (got over the paranoia of public toilets at this point), and "let er rip", good thing I did because damn, adrenaline + devastating bodyshots would have me be the laughing stock of the already tiny combat sport community.

I think Yaire puked on Joes shoes after a fight and someone Felice was trying to submit shat herself. I know too well the feeling of getting home after an hour drive and kicking in that door haha

Oh I get my ass kicked. Power spewing from livershots, headaches, bruises, cuts. But it's not that bad because when I fight other lightweights it's a walk in the park lol.

umm you only have one liver and one brain man it may be easy but you wont be able to do it for long but I guess ride it till the wheels fall off
<{clintugh}>

Sparred the #2 ranked 152lber in the US when I was 114lbs. His hands felt like sledgehammers for real for real. I've sparred many 140-150+lb guys, dude hit like an absolute Mack truck. One of my good friends now.

If you have seen any of my boxing vids, I commonly sit on the ropes and stand in the pocket without too much worry of opponents offense. I was boxing great against him but I was on my bike for sure lol wasn't touching no ropes with a dude punching that damn hard.

Taught me what heavy hands actually meant. The end. @Sinister knows who I'm talking about I'm sure.

The most important sparring session of my life was a complete beatdown.

I trained first Judo then Karate for some years and the coaches were very smug about western MA how inferior they were,lowclass, only idiots would train in it.....etc. In retrospect it was laughable.

Sadly the standard in many eastern oriented ma dojos. At some point I started to question that because it was obvious my coaches had developed a distorted view on reality and their own fight capabilities. We only did light sparring and even in that all but one black belt only used oi tzuki and mae geri. It wasnt a McDojo. We had two national champs and one medalled internationally .

So 18 years old I went to a boxing gym and asked for a sparring session. At least thats what I thought regarding Intensity., but I made the big mistake asking for a fight.

Little did I know that competitive karate kumite was light sparring in boxing. Was so nervous that I could not even take a sip of water before the fight.

Well I got it and was beat down from pillar to post. If I remember correct we went at it for 3x 3min
I had no defense, feints, timing, angles, variety of punches. Only positive aspect was that I could cover distance fast. It was brutal but I am thankful to this day. Learned a lot about human hybris. I quit Karate soon after but did not went to boxing because all the indoctrination was still too strong.

Got much better technical open minded japanese MA training after that

Last edited:
umm you only have one liver and one brain man it may be easy but you wont be able to do it for long but I guess ride it till the wheels fall off
<{clintugh}>
Let him bang mang!

chin conditioning

liver conditioning

old_no7_01_opt.png

The funniest story involving sparring I can think of is at the end of class we paired up and started doing randori sparring judo with added subs.

Now usually I don’t eat before class because I can’t exercise on a full stomach so most of the time I’d turn up to class in a fasted state (and then eat properly after the session).

Unfortunately for this sparring session I decided to eat beforehand. So while doing randori my stomach kept rumbling. Eventually it ended up on the floor, myself on the bottom and as I was bridging I let out some huge ass fart. I started cracking up instantly, so didn’t fully bridge and the guy paired up with me got better position as a result and proceeded to work a choke, meanwhile to add insult to injury, while he was working the choke I let out more successive farts - laughing hysterically I gave up my neck and he got the choke.

I’m just thankful I didn’t shart myself as it was my first couple of months training at this new gym (was a few years back).

The nose experience from the last workout.

So I go to private lessons with a couple of friends to have some white collar boxing. We warm up and go to pads. I am first and when I end my round another pal goes in the ring for pads. My other friend invites me to spar. We do a round a light one but he tags me twice lightly on the nose. Then I had a light exchange with the other friend too. Then I went on the pads. Afterwards we spar again with the guy that tagged me on the nose and he coughs me with a jab on the nose in one counter it fucking heart. Then next exchange he goes jab side step and hook full power which lands on my nose again. I am like dude wtf...

Then a little kid 15-16 years old joins the class and we do a small spar session. I am with the kid first round and just jab him lightly and he side steps and lands a fucking full power jab guess where... Yep my fucking nose. The coach tells him to lighten up.

Second round I am against a pall who again lands a jab hook in my nose and last round the other pall lands a light straight in my nose. I have no clue how it is not broken but two days later it still hearts.

The most important sparring session of my life was a complete beatdown.

I trained first Judo then Karate for some years and the coaches were very smug about western MA how inferior they were,lowclass, only idiots would train in it.....etc. In retrospect it was laughable.

Sadly the standard in many eastern oriented ma dojos. At some point I started to question that because it was obvious my coaches had developed a distorted view on reality and their own fight capabilities. We only did light sparring and even in that all but one black belt only used oi tzuki and mae geri. It wasnt a McDojo. We had two national champs and one medalled internationally .

So 18 years old I went to a boxing gym and asked for a sparring session. At least thats what I thought regarding Intensity., but I made the big mistake asking for a fight.

Little did I know that competitive karate kumite was light sparring in boxing. Was so nervous that I could not even take a sip of water before the fight.

Well I got it and was beat down from pillar to post. If I remember correct we went at it for 3x 3min
I had no defense, feints, timing, angles, variety of punches. Only positive aspect was that I could cover distance fast. It was brutal but I am thankful to this day. Learned a lot about human hybris. I quit Karate soon after but did not went to boxing because all the indoctrination was still too strong.

Got much better technical open minded japanese MA training after that until a very bad training incident with a coach that led to my complete demise from martial arts. But thats annother story.

You can't end your story with that dramatic line, "complete demise from MA" and not tell us what happened.

One of my boxing coaches liked to practice his head movement when he was sparring with beginner & intermediate students, he'd drop his hands for a while and make a lot of guys look silly trying to punch him in the head. I'd seen him do this a few times and knew there was no way I could time the guy and hit him in the head, so I went for the body. When the coach dropped his hands I put a few throwaway punches at his head then got him good with a couple hard body shots. Unfortunately I spent a bit too long admiring my handiwork and didn't move my feet or get my guard back up in time, coach popped me in the face with a lightning jab and had me seeing stars, then I had to take a knee after got me with follow-up body shots of his own.

One of my boxing coaches liked to practice his head movement when he was sparring with beginner & intermediate students, he'd drop his hands for a while and make a lot of guys look silly trying to punch him in the head. I'd seen him do this a few times and knew there was no way I could time the guy and hit him in the head, so I went for the body. When the coach dropped his hands I put a few throwaway punches at his head then got him good with a couple hard body shots. Unfortunately I spent a bit too long admiring my handiwork and didn't move my feet or get my guard back up in time, coach popped me in the face with a lightning jab and had me seeing stars, then I had to take a knee after got me with follow-up body shots of his own.

Ah the Coach sparring story, always a good one. First time I sparred my coach who is like 125 and a national champ (im a big welterweight) He hit me with so many clean body shots I had to run to the washroom and projectile vomit what little water I had out of my system. That made it 3 for the puke count

Story from Roger Mayweather he used to always tell me, he said when he was about 14 years old and first started boxing his coach was a heavyweight & that he sparred with him to work with him, and Roger said he hit him with a right hand and knocked him out cold. His coach, a heavyweight, knocked out cold by a kid. His coach didn't spar him again lol

Back