Why does Fedor suck so much in a cage?

PubliusVentidius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Fedor only won 1 fight in a cage (vs Rogers, technically he also ''won'' vs Maldonado but that wasn't a win, it was a draw at best) and lost all the other ones while also looking like shit.
I don't buy the out of the prime excuse that's thrown around, after getting battered in Strikeforce he looked like a world beater again in the ring, he dismantled Jeff Moonson with a flawless performance and went on a nice winning streak again (ok admittedly the competition wasn't stellar but still...he even struggles against cans in the cage while he beats them handily in the ring), what is it with a cage that undermines his game, if anything?

Because he was WAY past his prime when he started fighting in them.....

Last edited:
Because he's fought better, bigger, more well rounded competition in them.

Psychologically feels trapped in cage ? Criminals and animals are in cages . Doesnt feel like a sport in a cage ? Rings or flat ground have been traditionaly used and are FELT as sport . The cage was used originally by the UFC as a pro - wrestling style gimmick - " NO HOLDS BARRED ... IN A STEEL CAGE !!! " .

Lol, yeah, the type of enclosure is clearly the main difference.

He had gotten old, and gotten sloppy, he barely escaped Werdum's triangle, to jump right away at the same angle, for fuck's sake.

That's really this simple.

"World beater" against corpses of Monson and Rizzo doesn't change much. :p

{<jordan}

The butthurt this comment is going to cause.
2b7.jpg

feminist2.jpg

Er3RO.jpg

Bring it.

Psychologically feels trapped in cage ? Criminals and animals are in cages . Doesnt feel like a sport in a cage ? Rings or flat ground have been traditionaly used and are FELT as sport . The cage was used originally by the UFC as a pro - wrestling style gimmick - " NO HOLDS BARRED ... IN A STEEL CAGE !!! " .

Fedor in Ganryujima would maul Stipe

poor argument. he is old. thats it.

He was 33 when he lost to Werdum, who was 1 year younger than him. 33 or 34 when he lost to Big Foot, who was 3 years younger than him. Same with when he lost to Hendo, who is 6 years older than him.

I know he had mileage, but so did Hendo.

Cage is more barbaric and animalistic, therefore he fights like a wild animal rather than a legendary martial artist

Because he is fighting stiffer competition when he fights in America in MMA. In Japan he was their poster boy and they did what they had to including look the other way when it come to PED's if somebody was using them, I am not saying Fedor was using them but I read somewhere that Mark Kerr stated steroid use was encouraged because of the bulky bodies for more women attraction and performance increases.
Here he has to pass a drug test and the fights are not hand fed.
Dan Henderson was fighting at MW at the time and beat the living hell out of him as a matter of fact he quit, he was not knocked out he quit so they waved it off.

There was an interview of Alistair Overeem in the Strikeforce years, where he was saying that he had noticed Fedor was uncomfortable walking to the cage and having to fight in the cage...

I remember the same "Cage" talk propping up when CroCop got Gonzaga'd. Could be some truth to it as a ring does not allow one to be trapped (mostly) and a cage does. Several other factors are there I'm sure but I think it could play a (small) part.

He was 33 when he lost to Werdum, who was 1 year younger than him. 33 or 34 when he lost to Big Foot, who was 3 years younger than him. Same with when he lost to Hendo, who is 6 years older than him.

I know he had mileage, but so did Hendo.
irrelevant. he was old, same happened to anderson

Because he is fighting stiffer competition when he fights in America in MMA. In Japan he was their poster boy and they did what they had to including look the other way when it come to PED's if somebody was using them, I am not saying Fedor was using them but I read somewhere that Mark Kerr stated steroid use was encouraged because of the bulky bodies for more women attraction and performance increases.
Here he has to pass a drug test and the fights are not hand fed.
Dan Henderson was fighting at MW at the time and beat the living hell out of him as a matter of fact he quit, he was not knocked out he quit so they waved it off.
WTF? What stiffer competition?

Pride was the best organization in the world at that time. Look at MMA competition in America from that period, it definitely wasnt stiffer, it was weaker.

Next to ageing, mileage and loss of motivation, anybody who is bigger, with bigger reach than Fedor and with solid movement has bigger advantage over him in cage than in the ring because the space is much bigger and opponent can avoid being hit by just moving away and with distance management.

Biggest strenght of Fedor was to throw a barrage of hooks and then close the distance and transition to judo throw, and most of that can be avoided with movement in big circular space with no sharp angles. And there is also better option to counter him when you evade his attacks.

There is also an aspect of fence wrestling and clinching since american rules and fence allow bigger guys to controll and neutralize opponent on the fence for long periods of time using their body.

irrelevant. he was old, same happened to anderson

Like I said 1 year older than Werdum and younger than Hendo. Age doesn't cut it as an excuse. The game passed him by, just like it did Cro Cop and Big Nog.

Back