The 2017 Heavies Awards - UFC Event of the Year - Winner: UFC 217

What did you think was the best UFC event of 2017?

• Total voters

Lethal

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
2017 UFC Event of the Year

Hey everybody, thanks for participating in the 2017 Heavies Awards so far! We're back for another category of choices for you all, this time going in a different direction than fight results!

Event wise, 2017 was an interesting year to say the least. We saw an epic return in GSP coming back to win the Middleweight Title, saw two of the sport's most dominant champions in Cruz and Jedrzejczyk get dethroned, saw Jon Jones skyrocket right back to the top, only to lose it all outside the cage, once again. We saw Demetrious Johnson break the record for most consecutive title defenses, and so much more in 2017.

Please vote in the thread and let us know why you feel your choice deserves UFC Event of the Year! Thanks again everyone for participating!

Nominees

UFC 217

ufc-217-poster.jpg

Main Card:
GSP vs. Bisping
Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt
Namajunas vs. Jedrzejczyk
Thompson vs. Masvidal
Costa vs. Hendricks

UFC 211

ufc-211.jpg

Main Card:
Miocic vs Dos Santos
Jedrzejczyk vs Andrade
Maia vs Masvidal
Edgar vs Rodriguez
Branch vs Jotko

UFC 209
UFC209-poster.jpg

Main Card:
Woodley vs. Thompson
Teymur vs. Vannata
Kelly vs. Evans
Calvillo vs. Cooper
Overeem vs. Hunt

UFC 214
DDF6FB5VYAAhulR.jpg

Main Card:
Jones vs. Cormier
Woodley vs. Maia
Cyborg vs. Evinger
Lawler vs. Cerrone
Oezdemir vs. Manuwa

UFC 218
UFC_218_Holloway_vs._Aldo_2_Poster.jpg

Main Card:
Holloway vs. Aldo
Ngannou vs. Overeem
Cejudo vs. Pettis
Alvare vs. Gaethje
Torres vs. Waterson

Honorable Mentions:

UFC 210
UFC Fight Night 104
UFC Fight Night 116
UFC on FOX 23
UFC on FOX 24
UFC on FOX 26

217 was epic.

Everything about it was spectacular.

and not an Irishman in sight

217 easily. Great night of fights

217 by armbar.

217 definitely.

An honourable mention should go to UFC 218 as well. With Holloway v Aldo, Overeem v Ngannou, Gaethje v Alvarez and Cowboy Oliveira v Medeiros I don't think it was too far behind.

217 was wicked but 218, for me. So many standout moments and crazy wars.

I put 218....I meant 217.
Cody...lol

UFC 217 was the best one for me

I am going with UFC 218. Francis vs. Overeem is KO of the year, Eddie vs. Justin is fight of the year, and Max Holloway is perhaps fighter of the year. It was a ton of fun to watch.

217. St Pierre finishing "the mouth" Bisping. Cant vote against that. Hopefully 2018 brings back the good old days.

Struve vs Volkov was the best card of the year front to back

217 gave me flashbacks of a few years ago. Had a great time watching it.

217 it is, but 218 was underrated and a very close second in my book. To me, 218 had better highs (a candidate for fight of the year in Alvarez/Gaethje, the KO of the year by Ngannou), but 217 was more balanced. All the 5 main card fights delivered, while 218 had Cejudo/Pettis that kinda killed the momentum. Torres/Waterson wasn't that great either.

Same goes for the prelims on those cards (I don't know if they should count in the voting here). 218 had the awesome Oliveira/Medeiros fight (another candidate for fight of the year easily), and Felders destruction of the other Oliveira was great too, but the rest of the fights were pretty uninteresting. 217 had interesting fights all through the prelims.

Cool that 217 would be best of 2017.

Back