EA UFC 3 (Update: RPM Tech Striking Deep Dive Blog)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would've preferred they overhaul the ground game and clinch first tbh. I absolutely despise these aspects of the game, and while the striking isn't amazing in UFC 2, its much better than the ground and clinch game which are identical in this game

There is no way they would have done that though unfortunately. They spent most of their resources for UFC 2 on overhauling the ground game. Which personally, i think it much better than it was in UFC 1. So they wouldn't do that and then overhaul it all over again for UFC 3 while leaving the striking alone for the 3 consecutive game. And when you compare the Striking on UFC 3 to UFC 2 & 1, it's obvious how bad it was by comparison. The logic behind the damage system, the movement, the hit detection, the stamina, the effect on certain strikes like push kicks and jabs, body strikes, etc..UFC 1 & 2 were Checkers. UFC 3 is Chess in terms of standup.

Everything needs work. I think they are doing it right though. Next game I'd expect a big upgrade to Clinch, submissions, etc..

There is no way they would have done that though unfortunately. They spent most of their resources for UFC 2 on overhauling the ground game. Which personally, i think it much better than it was in UFC 1. So they wouldn't do that and then overhaul it all over again for UFC 3 while leaving the striking alone for the 3 consecutive game. And when you compare the Striking on UFC 3 to UFC 2 & 1, it's obvious how bad it was by comparison. The logic behind the damage system, the movement, the hit detection, the stamina, the effect on certain strikes like push kicks and jabs, body strikes, etc..UFC 1 & 2 were Checkers. UFC 3 is Chess in terms of standup.

Everything needs work. I think they are doing it right though. Next game I'd expect a big upgrade to Clinch, submissions, etc..
I had to delete UFC 2 off my hard drive after the Beta. It was so shit in comparison. Can't wait for 3.

I had to delete UFC 2 off my hard drive after the Beta. It was so shit in comparison. Can't wait for 3.
I still have UFC 2 on my PS4, but only for the Ground game. I play practice mode occasionally and just set my opponent to Skilled Ground Game and just roll.

Since this is basically unchanged in UFC 3, I figured its great practice while not losing what i've learned about the striking from the Beta.

And I must say, my Ground Game has improved leaps since doing this. I'll be submitting folks in UFC 3 for sure, it was not a strong suit in UFC 2 or 1 for me.

good point, UFC 4 will be epic I think.

I'm still baffled at EA choice to replace actual transitions with a stupid ass minigame, and switch a bunch of the ground controls around from the first to second.

Just needed to add reversals to the ground game of ufc 1 and a few more transitions and it would've been much more feasible and fun than that garbage mini game of a ground game aND clinch game we got.

I could be wrong here, but aren't the changes to the ground game in UFC 2 and now UFC 3 just showing you what is happening under the hood, and simplifying the control input to not require a "swoop"?

I don't see this as a mini game. Just a more informative and simpler input system that now allows for simultaneous transitions to occur instead of having a "turn-based" system.

In the past, you had major transitions and minor transitions. The minor transitions took less time to complete and had a smaller denial window than the major transitions.

Isn't the same thing happening now? Just with a visual aid to show you what transitions are available and how quickly they perform and how large the denial window is?

If I'm mistaken just let me know.

Get rid of the visual aid, and I fail to see a big difference in the grapple system other than welcome improvements to the logic.

I could be wrong here, but aren't the changes to the ground game in UFC 2 and now UFC 3 just showing you what is happening under the hood, and simplifying the control input to not require a "swoop"?

I don't see this as a mini game. Just a more informative and simpler input system that now allows for simultaneous transitions to occur instead of having a "turn-based" system.

In the past, you had major transitions and minor transitions. The minor transitions took less time to complete and had a smaller denial window than the major transitions.

Isn't the same thing happening now? Just with a visual aid to show you what transitions are available and how quickly they perform and how large the denial window is?

If I'm mistaken just let me know.

Get rid of the visual aid, and I fail to see a big difference in the grapple system other than welcome improvements to the logic.

I'm with you on this one.

I think maybe people saw the swooping from the thq games as doing more, but it was literally the same idea, now you press one direction instead of making the motion.

I think maybe people saw the swooping from the thq games as doing more, but it was literally the same idea, now you press one direction instead of making the motion.
Yea I'm just not seeing the mini game that hear people bringing up.

Ea UFC is very Meter/HUD heavy. It doesn't need to be. In UFC 3 they have a meter for everything - leg, head health, stamina, block strength, etc.

They seem intent on showing the user everything going on under the hood. It's the same thing with the ground. Instead of just learning that a pass from guard to half guard doesn't take as long to complete as a sweep from bottom, they provide a meter to show you it.

Whats the point of having a big roster if you make 95% of the fighters so bad that they are literally unplayable against decent opposition?

I totally agree, but why not do it like the fight night games and have it stacked with a bunch of legends. They didn't even put Vitor Belfort, Shogun, Wand, or Cain Valasquez in the game. I'd like to see guys like Couture, Ken Shamrock, Tank Abbott, Bas Rutten, Don Frye etc...

Oh well, I have never really cared for the EA UFC games anyway. I had the beta for UFC 3 and spent about two hours on it and didn't really feel it. I'll play with it a little more off line and Download the 9 hour trial on EA Access, but I'll probably just end up waiting for it to be free through EA Access a year or so from now. I still like the feel of the THQ's UFC 3 better to be honest.

I wish EA would do another Fight Night game. I actually picked up a used 360 from game stop basically just to play Fight Night Night. The disc drive on my other 360 shit the bed and used 360 are only $60 so I just traded in some games and got a slim. For a 13 year old system it still holds up quite well.

I totally agree, but why not do it like the fight night games and have it stacked with a bunch of legends. They didn't even put Vitor Belfort, Shogun, Wand, or Cain Valasquez in the game. I'd like to see guys like Couture, Ken Shamrock, Tank Abbott, Bas Rutten, Don Frye etc...

Im 100% sure that Cain is going to be in the game. That roster list is not final its the confirmed fighters so far.

You are misunderstanding that list man. Thats only the list of fighters that have appeared in promotional videos, screen shots, and other items that can be confirmed right now. They havent released the official roster yet. There will be around 250 fighters, which is a HUGE #. Belfort, Shogun, Cain will 100% be in the game. Wanderlei, i'd still say he makes it since they have his Model from UFC 2.

Bas Rutten was in UFC 2, and will likely be in this one.

Guys like Couture, Shamrock, etc.. I agree would be great to be in the game, but have historically had contract disputes with the UFC over their rights.

But this list you are viewing is not close to the entire official roster.

You are misunderstanding that list man. Thats only the list of fighters that have appeared in promotional videos, screen shots, and other items that can be confirmed right now. They havent released the official roster yet. There will be around 250 fighters, which is a HUGE #. Belfort, Shogun, Cain will 100% be in the game. Wanderlei, i'd still say he makes it since they have his Model from UFC 2.

Bas Rutten was in UFC 2, and will likely be in this one.

Guys like Couture, Shamrock, etc.. I agree would be great to be in the game, but have historically had contract disputes with the UFC over their rights.

But this list you are viewing is not close to the entire official roster.

Gotcha. EA UFC 2's roster was crazy impressive. I really hope this game grabs me. I used to play the shit out of the THQ games online to the point I never really played any other games. I think I got really good at those and never really adjusted once EA took over. Don't get me wrong EA is not doing a bad job, It just hasn't been for me.

Yea, and I get the reason they have the Transition HUD on screen. There are a ton of grappling options depending on each position. Subs, Sweeps, posture, etc.. Most of the subs are directional (ex far-side Kimura). And many of the players don't understand when and where these options are available so the HUD is helpful for that. I don't watch it for most of what I'm doing, but I do like having it so I know what types of Subs the fighter has in certain positions.

The will have the same amount as last game. They already have the character models for a lot of fighters already from 2. I just wish more news would come out. What’s the hold up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back