170 is the one division where the UFC champ might not be the best fighter

I think MMA relies a lot on opportunity.

I think there's a lot of guys sitting at the bottom of the top 10 right now that could be champions tomorrow if they just got that opportunity of a big fight.

I think there's a lot of guys sitting at the bottom of the top 10 right now that could be champions tomorrow if they just got that opportunity of a big fight.

Of course, but getting a title-shot and earning the #1 Contender spot is also about consistency, which is the hardest thing to achieve in MMA. Winstreaks and shit. Being always on-point on fight day, etc.

That's what seperates a guy who can beat the champion on a good day vs a guy who can beat 6 guys in a row, beat the champ, and defend the title twice in a year.

I don't think so. He used to be vocal about superfights, and now he acts like he doesn't want them because matter of fact UFC won't give them to him.

I don't care, either way.
I respect him because he stays active and that's all we can ask for from a champ, isn't it?

I don't think so either. I don't think GSP is afraid of Woodley either. Woodley offers GSP nothing, it's that simple. Tyron showed expressed similar feelings when talking about smaller draws then himself. Suggesting GSP is afraid of Woodley is cheap, unfair and dishonest.

Women's Flyweight

Valentina Shevchenko
Jennifer Maia
Alexis Davis
>
Nicco Montano = UFC Champ

With lots of questionable fights:
Adriana Lipski
Liz Carmouche
Ilima-Lei Macfarlane
Andrea Lee
Sjara Eubanks

I don't think so either. I don't think GSP is afraid of Woodley either. Woodley offers GSP nothing, it's that simple. Tyron showed expressed similar feelings when talking about smaller draws then himself. Suggestion GSP is afraid of Woodley is cheap, unfair and dishonest.

Maybe you're right, you probably are. I don't think being "scared" is a common trait in MMA, but it's a business after all. And GSP fighting Woodley isn't the smartest business move because of the things you mentioned.

I just brought up GSP because of the irrational hate Woodley gets, when the greatest WW of all time was also known for being in rather "lackluster" fights, or at least some fans perceive them that way.
Matter of fact, GSP mostly put on clinics. He schooled his opponents. Which is EXACTLY what Woodley did to Maia and Wonderboy. Neither of them is boring, usually. Some fights are.

Wonderboy was SO shook and tentative that he didn't even try to win the title in the second fight. That's quite something. Woodley's similiar to Assuncao in just shutting his opponents down. Also a little similiar to GSP.
So I just don't understand the hate. His next fight will be better. Nobody expected a slugfest outta Maia vs Woodley, did we? But it was an important fight to make.

Lol if you truly see fights in that vague of a sense than you shouldn' be watching mma.

Vague? It's literally what happened. He beat him. You can't dispute that.

Not sure how one win in 2014 makes Rory the best WW in 2018.

Well, I get your point, but it's pretty much that way in every divisions, (other than Mighty Mouse's division, he's the best) Khabib, Ferguson could be champ, while Conor is champ. Garbrand, Cruz could be champ, but it's TJ now. Cain Velasquez could be champ, it's Stipe right now. Jon MF Jones could be champ, but it's Cormier that has the belt. There's always better guy on paper, who's better that night is what counts.

No I don't.

Conor is the real Champ... UFC Champ, Lineal Champ
But Conor is not the #1 LW in the world.

Sometimes they're two different things. It happens.
eh semantics.... fine, he's the people's champ.

exactly. its amazing how someone can look with promotion and the right opportunities. a fighter that takes on all comers should be given more cred.

The one division?

HW: Stipe is at great risk with Ngannou, many see the latter as favourite
LHW: is an eternal awkward situation
MW: who the fook is the champ these days?
LW: Khabib is'nt thwe UFC Champ

Actually WW got one of the most dominant champs

Vague? It's literally what happened. He beat him. You can't dispute that.

Not sure how one win in 2014 makes Rory the best WW in 2018.

Are you simple? Where did I attempt to dispute who won?

Because Rory would beat the "best" WW again in 2018.

Please tell me how Woodley has improved. Seems to me you're just some keyboard MMA expert who is avoiding proving that you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not a fan of Woodley, but he'd beat the shit out of Askren.

Not his fault, but Woodley has some questions around his status as the best 170 pounder in the world that I don't think any of the other UFC champions have. Both Ben Askren, undefeated and a higher level wrestler, and Rory McDonald, a former top talent who beat Woodley, could make their claims as being better than anyone else with some plausibility. And of course there is the shadow of GSP looming over the division as well.

With your logic, then the same thing can be said about HW, LHW, MW, FW.

Really, the only division where the champion is clearly not the best fighter is the LW division, with Conor ducking Ferguson and Khabib.

Prior to Bisping losing, the MW division also fit this description.

Bantamweight, Lightweight, Welterweight, Light Heavyweight, Heavyweight, women's strawweight and women's flyweight - all of these are divisions in which the champ might not be better than certain contender(s).

This can by argued for every weight class except DJ’s and Cyborg’s weight class.

First, there's no plausible argument for Ben Askren being the best WW. At this point, Woodley clearly has the best argument for being the best WW.

Second, a strong argument could be made for either Tony or Khabib being the best LW. Sure, Conor besmirched Eddie. But he also got besmirched by Nate, who's not even a top 5 LW. The "it was at 170" argument holds little merit.

Third, while I've been saying for quite a while that TJ is one of the best p4p fighters out there, the reality is that he did drop a decision to Cruz not too long ago. That whole TJ/Cruz/Cody triangle still creates some plausible doubt about who's the best BW.

Not his fault, but Woodley has some questions around his status as the best 170 pounder in the world that I don't think any of the other UFC champions have. Both Ben Askren, undefeated and a higher level wrestler, and Rory McDonald, a former top talent who beat Woodley, could make their claims as being better than anyone else with some plausibility. And of course there is the shadow of GSP looming over the division as well.

conor has the lightweight belt and has one fight at lightweight. probably gets murdered by 9 of the top 10

cain might be better than stipe

de randamie would murk cyborg

Back