Rampage vs Chael prompted to main event.

AGEZ909

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
6B4BD997-BDF8-4C43-8A61-622E805378B5.png

Read that it was a paramount decision. Don’t agree with it, but I understand the reasoning.

What the fuck??? Ok great way to start off on the wrong foot....

They’re much bigger names. Titles have always been secondary to Coker anyway. He has the logical next LHW title matchup happening in the first round of a HW tournament.

Name recognition is the only reason this was done. Its not a sleight to rory or lima, they just arent as big a draw. I made a similar comment when talking about how poor ticket sales were doing.

After seeing the thread earlier this week about how poorly tickets were selling, this doesn’t surprise me. Prob would’ve been the best decision from the get go. Bellator is utter trash lately anyway so whatever.

not cool, they need to use Rory for Canada not co-headline an event in inglewood

Disappointing.

Bellator are in trouble. They are cutting costs, are drawing record low ratings, face battling to prove they fit into the new-look Paramount Network, and almost four years into the Scott Coker era still haven’t produced a single indiginous star name. They are wholly reliant on UFC cast offs, whether old men who are years past their prime or a couple of fighters who are excellent but not quite the best.

Given the UFC’s lack of direction in 2017, last year was the time for Bellator to really step it up and develop a sense of identity. Instead they were even more anaemic than the UFC. I was pulling for them. This is really disappointing.

It’s time to accept that Coker has not been able to replicate Strikeforce in Bellator, and realistically is never going to be able to.

If I was Viacom I would be looking to get rid of Bellator.

Terrible decision, Cheal and Rampage are irrelevant while Lima vs Rory is a world class fight.

if this was a PPV it would stop me from buying it.

as it is now i can turn off the TV after the real mainevent.

Sonnen-Jackson is the big marquee fight with two of the biggest stars in MMA history, while Lima-MacDonald is supposed to establish Bellator's claim to the best WW in the world.

I probably would've gone with the latter as the main event, or bill them equally as co-main events with Lima-MacDonald going on last on fight night.

good thing you guys don't run an mma org
Yea, I truly do think that lima vs Rory is far more legitimate than rampage vs Chael, but it’s abput ratings and money. Fact is that the rampage fight will draw more casuals.

The UFC is such a joke, it should be about the sport. Bellator rules! Jimmy Smith is great. Oops wrong forum and Jimmy Smith is gone I guess, welp...

Brilliant move and glad they got rid of that can Jimmy Smith too.

I'm not mad, I do like the way they've spaced out the GP fights. I don't care if it takes 6+ months to determine the winner, I want to see all the original guys face each other and not have late replacement wild cards. Bellator have committed financial suicide before putting the high name fights or freak shows all in one basket.

Ultimately, I don't see how this is going to change anything for sales.

If you read the article, it does mention that the head of the paramount network (old spike) made this call and not coker. Not really anything he could do about it I guess. Im guessing this is due to poor ticket sales and word of mouth. To be fair this card really isnt "that stacked" but looks good for a bellator card.

Good, people wont have to stay up as late to watch the Rory vs Lima fight.

Back