Canelo vs GGG rematch close

Who wins?

• Total voters

nac386

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I did not see a thread on this. Canelo agreed to rematch on Cinco de Mayo.

canelo-ggg-live-blog.jpg

https://www.si.com/boxing/2018/01/11/canelo-alvarez-agrees-may-5-rematch-gennady-golovkin

Great news for the boxing world

Canelo wins it close but clean this time. I didn't see a lot of ability to adjust from Golovkin in the first one. I think Canelo will box him up a little cleaner this time.

I don't see anything other than another close fight, but then again, that's what I said before the Ward/Kovalev rematch. The biggest factor in the fight will again likely be Canelo's stamina. If it's similar to how it was the first time out, then we'll likely see another very close fight. If he can do more than fight in spurts for the second half of the fight, then I think he might be able to win clearly. Similarly, if Golovkin can find a way to capitalize on backing Canelo up to the ropes by going to the body and keeping him there, then he might be able to take the rematch cleanly. Either way, should be another damn good fight.

Fuck ya.

Canelo wins a comfortable decision.

Here's what I saw in the first fight:

1. Canelo fans were gonna see Canelo winning every close round (Adelaide Byrd, ahem)
2. GGG fans were gonna see GGG blow out Canelo and win 9-3 or 10-2
3. Canelo won 2/3 opening rounds, but GGG had a really good case for the first round (even though he didn't get it on the cards)
4. GGG cleaned house for the next 6 rounds (4-9). Canelo really didn't do much of anything but react (ironically, here, the Canelo fans that gave Canelo the edge for winning close rounds against Lara for aggressive criteria, in some cases, were the same fans that gave Canelo the benefit of the doubt for fighting in the opposite manner).
5. GGG stopped jabbing in the last 3 rounds and Canelo used that as an opportunity to come back into the fight. The last three rounds had arguments for both fighters.
6. GGG was actually out-boxing Canelo from the outside. It was during the exchanges where the fight got close.

GGG gets one of the first three and one of the last three, and with the middle six, he gets an 8-4 decision.

You really had to give Canelo the benefit of the doubt for the first 3 and the last three to even make it a draw.

Here's what I think about the rematch:

1. Canelo knows he can take GGG's power.
2. GGG is used to the build up and atmosphere (something he was not used to previously).
3. Canelo is a bit sharper in the pronlonged trades and gets the benefit of every close round even if it is a coin toss - unfair, but he throws loud combos, even if some are wasteful and do nothing.
4. GGG's eyes got used to Canelo's speed (not a problem for Canelo since GGG has never been a fast fighter), which sounds insignificant, but explains why it took GGG a while to adjust in the early rounds.

Overall, I'd say that Golovkin has the room for improvement. If he makes a couple changes, he can win. Namely, he is best keeping Canelo moving back and jabbing him. He needs to put the right hand or body blows behind his jab. There really aren't that many changes that Canelo can make. He pretty much did the best he could. Canelo will be the same. Still though, there is a story about leopard's being unable to change their spots, and another about teaching an old dog new tricks that works against GGG. GGG's age (he has slowed over the past 2 years, PM if you want a significant elaboration), and his willingness to get carried away and trade will work against him no matter what.

So the rematch becomes very interesting. It'd be nice to see the sequel in New York instead of Vegas. Put it in MSG since GGG is the 3x champ, Canelo is not.

its close but theyre waiting for ggg to sign.

Its great match up but im not paying for that again. every time i pay for a canelo fight i feel like im being robbed.

I feel JCC vs canelo was one of the few fights in my life i saw that was staged and i thought GGG won a close fight

1. Canelo fans were gonna see Canelo winning every close round (Adelaide Byrd, ahem)
3. Canelo won 2/3 opening rounds, but GGG had a really good case for the first round (even though he didn't get it on the cards)
4. GGG cleaned house for the next 6 rounds (4-9). Canelo really didn't do much of anything but react (ironically, here, the Canelo fans that gave Canelo the edge for winning close rounds against Lara for aggressive criteria, in some cases, were the same fans that gave Canelo the benefit of the doubt for fighting in the opposite manner).
5. GGG stopped jabbing in the last 3 rounds and Canelo used that as an opportunity to come back into the fight. The last three rounds had arguments for both fighters.
6. GGG was actually out-boxing Canelo from the outside. It was during the exchanges where the fight got close.

GGG gets one of the first three and one of the last three, and with the middle six, he gets an 8-4 decision.

You really had to give Canelo the benefit of the doubt for the first 3 and the last three to even make it a draw.

2. GGG is used to the build up and atmosphere (something he was not used to previously).
3. Canelo is a bit sharper in the pronlonged trades and gets the benefit of every close round even if it is a coin toss - unfair, but he throws loud combos, even if some are wasteful and do nothing.
4. GGG's eyes got used to Canelo's speed (not a problem for Canelo since GGG has never been a fast fighter), which sounds insignificant, but explains why it took GGG a while to adjust in the early rounds.

Overall, I'd say that Golovkin has the room for improvement. If he makes a couple changes, he can win. Namely, he is best keeping Canelo moving back and jabbing him. He needs to put the right hand or body blows behind his jab. There really aren't that many changes that Canelo can make. He pretty much did the best he could. Canelo will be the same. Still though, there is a story about leopard's being unable to change their spots, and another about teaching an old dog new tricks that works against GGG. GGG's age (he has slowed over the past 2 years, PM if you want a significant elaboration), and his willingness to get carried away and trade will work against him no matter what.

So the rematch becomes very interesting. It'd be nice to see the sequel in New York instead of Vegas. Put it in MSG since GGG is the 3x champ, Canelo is not.
UnfitSpitefulArachnid-size_restricted.gif

dear God this is detalied .. let me get back in a couple of days!!!

This was my FOTY last year, and I expect Canelo to win comfy, stamina wont be the issue like it was in the first, but GGG's inability to get to Canelo will be.

GGG realizes Canelo's power was only serious when he was fighting smaller guys and walks right through him.

This was my FOTY last year, and I expect Canelo to win comfy, stamina wont be the issue like it was in the first, but GGG's inability to get to Canelo will be.

Stamina is always an issue for Canelo. Why would that change now?

They'd be giving away money by putting it in NYC, and no one on either team wants that.

I don't see anything other than another close fight, but then again, that's what I said before the Ward/Kovalev rematch. The biggest factor in the fight will again likely be Canelo's stamina. If it's similar to how it was the first time out, then we'll likely see another very close fight. If he can do more than fight in spurts for the second half of the fight, then I think he might be able to win clearly. Similarly, if Golovkin can find a way to capitalize on backing Canelo up to the ropes by going to the body and keeping him there, then he might be able to take the rematch cleanly. Either way, should be another damn good fight.

Yeah, I think we'll see more bodywork from GGG, opening more opportunities for uppercut counters by Canelo.

Father Time is on Canelo's side, and May 2018 is a long time away from September 2017. Furthermore, Canelo adjusts better. He showed his chin can take GGG's punch, and he can manage the gas pedal to finish strong. A clear (and deserved) decision for him is more than likely.

I think the moment really got to GGG last time.

Knowing he was fighting his best opponent ever in his biggest fight which was one of the biggest fights of the modern era was a bit too much for him. He looked incredibly tense in the locker room before the fight when he is normally and smiles and obviously relaxed. Once the fight started he looked a little lost and even somewhat gassed early. He did recover and put on a great fight but the moment took it's toll for sure. I think this time he comes in ready but not shocked by the gravity of the fight itself and looks way better either winning clearly or stopping Canelo in the middle rounds.

Canelo has been in those types of huge fights before against guys like Mayweather and Cotto so being in "the big show" doesn't really phase him at all. I think he'll fight a little more and sit on the ropes a little less which could be good or bad for him but great for the fans.

The fact there is no rematch clause for this one means it will probably be the last time it ever happens. If Canelo wins he won't want to mess with GGG ever again. If GGG wins he is probably done boxing with an outside chance of trying to take Saunders belt and retire undefeated and undisputed like a fucking kingpin. So I'm willing to pay without hesitation for this one. The only thing disappointing about the first fight was the judging.

@wilddeuces I liked your write up but I think its curious that you say Golovkin can improve but Canelo cant. That hasnt really been the trajectory theyre currently on. Its pretty clearly the other way around imo. Canelo has showed different levels to his game in every outing. Golovkin looks the same (not a knock on him, hes awesome).

If Canelo can ever keep his that pace Golovkin doesnt have much for him.

Last edited:

That same punch had hurt a lot of other middleweights. GGG has real power, but Canelo can take a real punch too. Those concerns are gone.

Back