Traveling in Vietnam (Update)

Just make sure your platoon mates are the kind of bro's who will watch your six. Stay safe, bud.

Try their local smokes--loose leaf tobacco smoked from a plastic bottle bong. I offered some dudes one of my Marlboro Reds. They sniffed it, shook their heads, and then offered me theirs. That shit hits hard!

I will just pull out a pack of Parliament Lights and fuck up all that shit. That will put hair on the cancer in your lungs!
372bdaae1b8a6297b6d01777936809a2_medium.png

Just make sure your platoon mates are the kind of bro's who will watch your six. Stay safe, bud.

My grandfather fought in Nam. I wonder what he'll think about me going to commie land.

10 days is really not much in Vietnam, but it's a awesome country. The food is amazing, the partying is half decent, and there are some decent beaches as well.

The best way to see it is to rent a scooter (like 5 bucks a day) and rip around. Hoi An is awesome, and the Hai Van pass is amazing to ride (dunno if you'll make it down there, it's in like the middle of the country). Hoi An has beaches, parties, markets, and really everything you would need. If you go to Nha Trang, stay at iHome hostel, it's good fun and they'll get you drunk and take you out and party. The guy working there (Andy) is a beauty.

Phong Nha is really nice. Lots of nature, caves, and places to explore.

Ha Long bay is a must if you're in Hanoi...you can take the chilling trips or the partying trips (like Castaways from Vietnam Backpackers.) It's more expensive, but it's a lot of fun and there's a lot of partying. If you do choose castaways, only buy from Vietnam Downtown Backpackers (in downtown Hanoi); the other ones with the same name are rip offs.

I also went trekking in Sa Pa and stayed at a local homestay and hiked around the hills and rice paddies for a couple days. Was really pretty.

10 days is really not much in Vietnam, but it's a awesome country. The food is amazing, the partying is half decent, and there are some decent beaches as well.

The best way to see it is to rent a scooter (like 5 bucks a day) and rip around. Hoi An is awesome, and the Hai Van pass is amazing to ride (dunno if you'll make it down there, it's in like the middle of the country). Hoi An has beaches, parties, markets, and really everything you would need. If you go to Nha Trang, stay at iHome hostel, it's good fun and they'll get you drunk and take you out and party. The guy working there (Andy) is a beauty.

Phong Nha is really nice. Lots of nature, caves, and places to explore.

Ha Long bay is a must if you're in Hanoi...you can take the chilling trips or the partying trips (like Castaways from Vietnam Backpackers.) It's more expensive, but it's a lot of fun and there's a lot of partying. If you do choose castaways, only buy from Vietnam Downtown Backpackers (in downtown Hanoi); the other ones with the same name are rip offs.

I also went trekking in Sa Pa and stayed at a local homestay and hiked around the hills and rice paddies for a couple days. Was really pretty.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm actually staying a week and yeah, I wish I had more time. Other cities like Hoi An seem too far to travel to with only a week so I'll just go Ha Long Bay and maybe Sapa. Ninh Binh as well. It's a shame because it sounds awesome and someone told me Hoi An has the best Banh Mi.

I actually found an airbnb where the owner says provides her scooter with the room so I can use it anytime I want. Watching videos of the city on youtube makes a me a bit scared to drive a scooter by myself though.

I'll definitely check out the trips with the Backpackers. My friend suggested I stay with them so I'll probably do that.

<Kpop01>

How did that happen?
Do you mean how did my grandfather end up in the Vietnam War? Korea sent troops to support the US during the war as part of a deal to get American military gear for our military. From what I know Korea was still using M1-Garands in the 70s and we got M-16s from the US by fighting in Nam.

<{Heymansnicker}>

Since you are a korean, could you kindly tell me what does " 좆같은 빨갱이 새끼들" mean ?
lol I think you already know.

Do you mean how did my grandfather end up in the Vietnam War? Korea sent troops to support the US during the war as part of a deal to get American military gear for our military. From what I know Korea was still using M1-Garands in the 70s and we got M-16s from the US by fighting in Nam.

lol I think you already know.

Just tell me what it means. I want to know if my friend told me the right one lmao

My grandfather fought in Nam. I wonder what he'll think about me going to commie land.
Probably take you down to Chinatown. No pun intended.

Just tell me what it means. I want to know if my friend told me the right one lmao

He did. It's kind of like saying "fucking commie bastards." Not a direct translation though. 좆같은 is a weird swear to translate into English because it literally means "cock-like," which I guess the closest English word with the same feeling would be "fucking." People usually use it to describe something shitty. I guess it's kind of like how Italians say "cazzo" all the time. 새끼 means offspring or child but it's reserved for animals so calling a person that would be insulting. 빨갱이 means commie.

I'm planning a trip to Vietnam in February with a friend. We will land in Hanoi and are thinking of maybe ten days. I'm hoping we'd have time ample time to hangout in the city and also go to other places like Da Nang.

My rough list so far :
see some awesome natural sights.
go to a beach (if I can snorkel, better)
stay at guesthouse for most of the time to meet other travelers and party
I'd of course would love to meet some local women
Eat lots of local food, including bugs that are still alive

Anyone been to Vietnam? What are your suggestions?

i actually had this discussion with someone the other day because i am going to germany and europe to visit. dont go to any "touristy places" go see the actual country you are visiting and walk around to see how people live there. eat their food which it sounds like you are going to do. and just be polite. you are visiting, they live there. good luck TS and have fun

He did. It's kind of like saying "fucking commie bastards." Not a direct translation though. 좆같은 is a weird swear to translate into English because it literally means "cock-like," which I guess the closest English word with the same feeling would be "fucking." People usually use it to describe something shitty. I guess it's kind of like how Italians say "cazzo" all the time. 새끼 means offspring or child but it's reserved for animals so calling a person that would be insulting. 빨갱이 means commie.
<CerseiPlotting><Baelish01>

I really appreciate your detailed explanation. I can now use Korean slur with full confidence.

Vietnam's awesome, , but I was there in 2009 so almost 10yrs ago. It's probably quite a bit different. I remember when I went there, only Hanoi had hostel(s) whereas now I think pretty much every destination has a few.

Hanoi and Halong Bay are sweet; if you get to go further south, Hoi An and Hue are pretty cool, Nha Trang was good for getting fucked up and partying but might have changed a lot now. Ho Chi Minh city is carnage but alright. Mui Ne is supposed to be nice, as is Dalat, but didn't go to those.

Vietnam's awesome, , but I was there in 2009 so almost 10yrs ago. It's probably quite a bit different. I remember when I went there, only Hanoi had hostel(s) whereas now I think pretty much every destination has a few.
one of my friends just got back from visiting family there and said it was sad just how much more polluted it had become in the past few years. Especially Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city of course.

Two of my best friends are Vietnamese. Very hard working and their success is due to their parents who taught them that anything is possible in America.

After the fall of Saigon most Vietnamese went to California, Louisiana and Texas. We have a large Vietnamese community here in New Orleans.

Vancouver, Canada too.

Back