Boxing and General Work Out Advice Needed

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey fellas. Long time no posting. I have been trough a very hard period in life which humbled me a lot. But I am getting back to get my life in track.

So I just did my first boxing class from a very long time. I go in a small group with 2 friends - one trains fights sports for 15 years now and has a lot of amateur fights, the other one is serious with boxing for 2 years and is in fight sports for 5 years but is a white collar guy.

We did 2 pad rounds each, 4-5 bag rounds and 6 spar rounds.

I have noticed I have lost a lot in the spar rounds. All the good habits are gone, my defence sucks, my attacks are predictable. I have also forgotten how to fight. I just get a high guard when things go bad and I am not countering, often lose sight on opponents, get surrounded and etc. I felt very powerless and eat some good shots. I hate eating shots and being helpless.

So how do I restart? How do I get back the good habits and etc? I will be boxing twice per week for now, but I have a lot of free time to practice on my own. Can you suggest how do I practice on my own.

Another thing. I have been tracking my diet and trying to work out a bit - 2km runs, some general weight lifting with lower weights and I have to say I am proud I lost 7kgs - from 94 to 87. I want to get under 85 and ideally reach 80 in the next 2 months. I have a lot of free time right now. Tracking my diet with myfitnesspal.

I wanted to start training more hardcore as I do have the time the next 2 months. I would like you to rate the stuff I am going to do and tell me if it is too much or I can do more.

Monday - boxing in the morning with my pals,
Tuesday - conditioning in the morning with my pals
Wednesday -
Thursday boxing in the morning with my pals
Friday - conditioning in the morning with my pals

And I am adding 4 weight lifting days 2 for upper body and 2 for lower body - basically this one - https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

I am planning on running at least twice per week and reaching 5km runs. One of my pals also runs, we went for a run yesterday.

I am loaded with quality food, kalogen with calcium and magnesium, BCAA and some protein.

Simply put - my goal is to learn how to box, look good and gain some good fitness levels in the same time.

4 x weightlifting, 2 x boxing, 2 x conditioning and at least 2 x running (or is that part of the conditioning days?) seems like too much to start out with. If you are the type of person who has had good success with a program like that, sure, but otherwise maybe think about cutting something down initially.

No program is better than the one you'll actually follow.

Congrats on losing weight! I lost about 10kg last summer as well using my fitness pal.

Just get back into it, most of it is mental. Physically your body doesn't decline that fast.

I'd say if you're back on a regular routine, maybe 1-2 months

Just get back into it, most of it is mental. Physically your body doesn't decline that fast.

I'd say if you're back on a regular routine, maybe 1-2 months

I thought so to be honest. It just sucked I got tagged so often and I got toyed. I did land too, but I was mostly helpless. Should I try to shadow box at home for few rounds, perhaps work the basics, work some footwork, some strikes and etc? Or I should just trust the coach and let him do the work? Fuck my nose still hearts from today :D

4 x weightlifting, 2 x boxing, 2 x conditioning and at least 2 x running (or is that part of the conditioning days?) seems like too much to start out with. If you are the type of person who has had good success with a program like that, sure, but otherwise maybe think about cutting something down initially.

No program is better than the one you'll actually follow.

Congrats on losing weight! I lost about 10kg last summer as well using my fitness pal.

You think it is too much, Sano? That is about 10 workouts for 7 days. So that is about a work out per day and 3 days I will get doubles. The bodybuilding one is not that heavy yet to be honest. I have lost a lot of strength - I can barely do 3 sets of 8 reps with 60 kg bench and deadlift. I cant run much at the moment so the running is about 2kms going up to 5km, which I do not consider much. I still have not done the conditioning day with my friends so no clue how heavy it is. The boxing work out feels like cardio too. So far I do not feel anything too hard, but I am just really all day long cooking, working out, showering and reading. Getting tons of rest during the day. I will see how it goes and may drop something if I feel it is too hard on me.

I thought so to be honest. It just sucked I got tagged so often and I got toyed. I did land too, but I was mostly helpless. Should I try to shadow box at home for few rounds, perhaps work the basics, work some footwork, some strikes and etc? Or I should just trust the coach and let him do the work? Fuck my nose still hearts from today :D

You think it is too much, Sano? That is about 10 workouts for 7 days. So that is about a work out per day and 3 days I will get doubles. The bodybuilding one is not that heavy yet to be honest. I have lost a lot of strength - I can barely do 3 sets of 8 reps with 60 kg bench and deadlift. I cant run much at the moment so the running is about 2kms going up to 5km, which I do not consider much. I still have not done the conditioning day with my friends so no clue how heavy it is. The boxing work out feels like cardio too. So far I do not feel anything too hard, but I am just really all day long cooking, working out, showering and reading. Getting tons of rest during the day. I will see how it goes and may drop something if I feel it is too hard on me.
Its hard to tell, you might have an off day coming back, and could spar with the intent of working things, wheeas your partners are looking to bang because they've had a shit day. That's happened to me before, at the end its no biggie

I don't think it's too much, or too little. It is whatever it is to you. If you have done something simular before consistently, or you are sure that it works for you, then go for it. If it feels right, keep at it!

It's all relative anyway, so as long as you feel like you are recovering and you are having fun with it (and actually doing the workouts) then it's the right amount.

Main thing is being consistent. Someone doing 2 strength sessions consistently a week for a year will gain a lot more than someone doing 4 for a few weeks, then nothing for a few weeks, repeat, for a year. Cardio, strength, martial arts, consistency is key. Oh, and having fun with it. That's why it's not that important how much you do right now, it's that you do it.

In regards to the sparring, as j123 said, sometimes you just have off days, especially coming back. Keep working on the things you learned, try drills with your pals and get back into it.

Well I only have 2 months to train that much. Afterwards I am starting to work again and it will consume good 9 hours of my day.

I have done something similar in the past and I hit 85 kg for the first time in my life back then.

My idea is to get a solid base now. Then I will probably reduce to 4-7 work outs per week. So it is not the most consistent plan. But I enjoy what I do at the moment.

I worked out about 13-14 times as week (8-10k runs in the morning 5 times a week, 3 hour training sessions 6 times a week, strength training 2-3 times a week) while training for fights. But this is after years of accumulation and I would slowly build up the amount I work out before camp. You can't just jump into that level of intensity. To me, your schedule isn't that much but if you're not used to it, your body needs time to adjust. But once you do adjust, it's amazing how our bodies can adapt. I sometimes can't believe how much I worked out when I think back. I sure as hell can't jump into that kind of routine now without preparation.

I prepared for about 2 months with some general training - circuits in the gym and running.

I did the conditioning work out yesterday which was a circuit with some weights going one after another which included exercises for shoulders, chest, legs and core and later in the evening I surprised myself with my running I did 1.6 km on a pretty high tempo and another 1.6 on a lower. Seems like I am getting past the injury too. I had a 25 kg plate falling down on the insides of both my shins from 1 meter. I could barely walk for a week. Funny enough this was the moment it literally fall on me my fioncee is dangerous for me.

Regarding boxing. I received from the palls a feedback to work on my guard and general defence as I was an easy target. I am looking forward on how to work on that at home.

I plan on implementing the strategies shown in these videos: , .
and implement the footwork shown here
into some nice shadow boxing rounds. Just to get my head into it and my body moving.

Last edited:
I prepared for about 2 months with some general training - circuits in the gym and running.

I did the conditioning work out yesterday which was a circuit with some weights going one after another which included exercises for shoulders, chest, legs and core and later in the evening I surprised myself with my running I did 1.6 km on a pretty high tempo and another 1.6 on a lower. Seems like I am getting past the injury too. I had a 25 kg plate falling down on the insides of both my shins from 1 meter. I could barely walk for a week. Funny enough this was the moment it literally fall on me my fioncee is dangerous for me.

Regarding boxing. I received from the palls a feedback to work on my guard and general defence as I was an easy target. I am looking forward on how to work on that at home.

I plan on implementing the strategies shown in these videos: , .
and implement the footwork shown here
into some nice shadow boxing rounds. Just to get my head into it and my body moving.

i recommend shadowboxing with as much defensive work as possible. i highly recommend doing some basic punching defence drills with your training partners. start of with just parring the jab and progress through to blocking, ducking and slipping. it helps heaps, you can start adding counters when you are comfortable with the defensive movements. it is a lot easier to get comfortable with blocking properly if you know what techniques are being used and they aren't throwing combos or feints.

Yeah I gotcha, but we do not do many partner drills.

Basically we are 3 people doing short boxing class. We do 2 rounds each on the pads. 1 round then change. And we spar when we are not on the pads.
This is totally 6 rounds. But these are close to 4-5 min rounds.
Then we go do few bag rounds.

Then we usually do some rope skipping, squads 4x10 and some grip work.

As it is seen it is mostly a fitness and self defence oriented class where we box. The pad rounds are pretty good with solid advice, but really not enough. The bag rounds are also sound on technique advice.

We had another coach who was leading the box class and it was a master class after a master class with an amazing technique work. But this coach wants to teach us how to fight mostly. Even at his pad work he gives solid advice on how to put power behind punches, how to set up good hooks and crosses that can KO ppl and etc. He teaches us how to bang :)

Check out rosstraining a website run by a guy who was a former boxer and now a professional s&c coach for pro boxers , he has loads of info in articles and he wrote two great books for boxing fitness never gymless and infinite intensity.

Back