What's In Your Shave Den?

I wanted a Merkur, btw, when I was reading about safety razors, but this was just sitting by itself at Winners for $20 with five blades, and I had to try.

Ya, kinda. It’s a series of plates that the blade sits on that you change out depending on how aggressive of a shave you want. The most sensitive setting is so comfortable, impossible to cut yourself, and still gets close. But I use a closer setting for some parts of my face.

Rockwell Razors. I just got off my ass to look.

As comfortable on that gentle setting as an electric, and much closer.

It it one of those Futur clones?

I wanted a Merkur, btw, when I was reading about safety razors, but this was just sitting by itself at Winners for $20 with five blades, and I had to try.

I was looking at Feather shavers and I found one in Toronto area where there must be some mistake on their website. Normally it's a 200 dollar stainless steel razor and somehow it's listed for 23 dollars. I doubt they send it to me for that price, lol.

I'll have to have a look at Winners next time I'm in there to see if they have them here.

Maybe it depends on how many days between shaves? If you shave the day before it may work?
it's possible.

that time i tried it, i had a weeks worth of growth. I shave every other day to keep my beard line sharp now.

I use a Gillette 3 blade razor and an uneven Ted shaving cream for sensitive skin. I have a beard and only shave part of my face and only when I am working. My blade lasts for at least 6 months and my shaving creams lasts for years.

for you guys that use an adjustable. Have y'all tried a vintage gillette fatboy adjustable, or the slim? the super adjustable?

i have all three, and i got very good shaves out of all of them. Wish I could find a Toggle to finish the collection.

That's 20 bucks at Winners?

I an contemplating getting a slant razor and Rockwell, Ikon and Merkur are all in the mix.
It might not be that model, but it looks just like that. I’m not getting up again to check, lol.

Tired of paying for disposable Gillete cartridges over the years I decided I want to try something different. I've started wet shaving in the last couple of months. The whole idea of doing this was to get as good or better shave for less money --- although I am putting out some money to get these products up front, in the long run I'll probably save money. I lucked out and bought most of this stuff 25-35% off online.

For those that only use cartridge razors, shaving with a double edge razor is a bit of a skill as you do not have a pivoting head like you would with a Gillite Fushion for example. Pressing down on your face with a double edge razor like how you would with a cartridge razor will not end well.

Razor:

My double edge safety razor is a Merkur Progress that I bought on sale and saved a whopping 35 percent on before Christmas. With so many options for razors, I decided to go with something adjustable that allowed me to control how aggressive the shave is due to more or less blade exposure. The progress has a short and long handle version. I purchased the short version and even with my XL hands, I have no issues at all controlling it. It has a nice weight and balance to it. I love how I can shave my face more aggressively and take it easier on more sensitive areas like my neck:

Brush:

The site I purchased my brush for had a moving sale so the options were limited. However, I did end up buying a badger hair brush priced. The Progress Vulfix No. 374 Black handle Super Badger Shaving Brush for 56 dollars minus 25 percent discount is what I'm using to apply the shave lather. I was surprised how expensive some of these brushes can get.

Shaving Cream options:

Unsure of what sort of shaving cream to get, I knew I wanted to get a few different options. I went with a more premium brand with Taylor of Old Bond Street and a couple of different scents of Proraso.

Taylor of Old Bond Street coconut shaving cream

Proraso shaving cream for sensitive skin

Blades:

I purchased 100 Persona double edge blue hospital "prep" blades that were on sale. They are rated close to Feather for sharpest blades you can buy. I probably am overdoing it getting them, seeing that I can control how much of the blade is exposed with my adjustable Merkur Progress. They have a reputation of being able to get 5 to 6 shave per blade. For 35 dollars, that's a pretty good investment. These ones are made in the USA.

I also have various sample packs (5-7 blades per pack) of various Gillette blades, Personna,Feather, Derby Extra and Astra Platinum. I like the Gillette Platinum the best of the Gillete product line. The Feather I used on one of my early shaves where my technique wasn't quite there yet and paid the price (cuts). I'll reserve judgment on all the blades until I use them all and gain experience with my shaving technique.

Pre/Post shave:

I use Proraso sensitive as a post shave rather than pre-shave. I was using it pre-shave, but since I went to cold water shaving in the last few weeks, I don't see the need to soften my whiskers before I shave. It feels nice post-shave

Nivea has an alcohol free balm that you can buy almost anywhere. I found that i needed it after dragging a razor blade across my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqeC3Suf9m8

Oh man shaving! I love having a clean face. In the Marine Corps I had to keep my face shaved every day. I was young, poor and didn't know shit about shaving. Didn't care and used the regular Gillette razor with the disposable blades. It did the job, but I often cut myself on the neck around the Adams Apple and under my chin. When I was lucky I had hot water and shaving cream. When I was unlucky I had a rusty and dull razor to dry shave with. Between too many dry shaves and basically leaving my face exposed to the elements for 4 years I was surprised that I didn't fuck it up completely.

Then I got out of the Marine Corps and grew the obligatory 'don't give a fuck' veteran beard. They made me shave daily and I needed time to reclaim my face. Didn't need to look good because I was just going to school on the gi bill and there was no reason to have a clean look.

After a year of just growing it out and using a trimmer to keep it at a lower height I finally started having my barber take care of it. My barber would trim it down and line it up nicely for me. I would say the style I prefer is the 1/3 cheek medium stubble with a clean line at the neck crease.

Eventually I got really sick and tired of paying my barber $40 every week and started doing this on my own. It really began when my girl bought me a straight razor starter kit. I started doing my own beard and eventually bought myself a Wahl clipper.

So I started doing my own hair. My beard was fine, but the razor wasn't a great quality and it cut my face up a lot with my poor technique. The hair clippers got it done, but my fade was horrible. Eventually I got the fade down.

The Dovo Bergischer Lowe 5/8" razor is what I'm using right now and it's amazing. I wouldn't ever want to switch to something else.

sr-dov-358012.jpg

God damn dude. Do you live in a 30,000 square foot mansion or something?
Haha.
Ok, I just sent my manservant to check. He assures me it is indeed the model pictured.
I am now instructing him to shave my taint.

Oh man shaving! I love having a clean face. In the Marine Corps I had to keep my face shaved every day. I was young, poor and didn't know shit about shaving. Didn't care and used the regular Gillette razor with the disposable blades. It did the job, but I often cut myself on the neck around the Adams Apple and under my chin. When I was lucky I had hot water and shaving cream. When I was unlucky I had a rusty and dull razor to dry shave with. Between too many dry shaves and basically leaving my face exposed to the elements for 4 years I was surprised that I didn't fuck it up completely.

Then I got out of the Marine Corps and grew the obligatory 'don't give a fuck' veteran beard. They made me shave daily and I needed time to reclaim my face. Didn't need to look good because I was just going to school on the gi bill and there was no reason to have a clean look.

After a year of just growing it out and using a trimmer to keep it at a lower height I finally started having my barber take care of it. My barber would trim it down and line it up nicely for me. I would say the style I prefer is the 1/3 cheek medium stubble with a clean line at the neck crease.

Eventually I got really sick and tired of paying my barber $40 every week and started doing this on my own. It really began when my girl bought me a straight razor starter kit. I started doing my own beard and eventually bought myself a Wahl clipper.

So I started doing my own hair. My beard was fine, but the razor wasn't a great quality and it cut my face up a lot with my poor technique. The hair clippers got it done, but my fade was horrible. Eventually I got the fade down.

The Dovo Bergischer Lowe 5/8" razor is what I'm using right now and it's amazing. I wouldn't ever want to switch to something else.

sr-dov-358012.jpg

Seeing that no one has asked you yet and are dying to know, "have you shaved your taint with that or what?"

sr-dov-358012.jpg
that's very nice! west coast has it for over $300, how much did you pay for it.

i have a simple dovo. Only paid $85 for it (the site had a sale that day)

g148b.jpg

a cheap three blade razor and some cheap shaving cream.

I dont get the weird fascination some sherbros have with shaving where they make it some elaborate ritual with all these blades and creams and shit

a cheap three blade razor and some cheap shaving cream.

I dont get the weird fascination some sherbros have with shaving where they make it some elaborate ritual with all these blades and creams and shit
before i discovered double edges, straights. i used a mach3 or whatever they had at that time. Shaving was a chore and it was either edge gel, or whatever gillete had (no variety). Because most stores didn't carry the good stuff. Plus catridge razors irritated my skin.

Now it feels like a treat. With many soaps to choose and most important, no more irritated face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back