Obama called Libya a sh*t show....

He literally said being complicit in the NATO intervention was his greatest mistake as president.

Because he's an adult, he can admit when he made mistakes.

Barack Obama has said the biggest mistake of his presidency was the lack of planning for the aftermath of Muammar Gaddafi’s ouster in Libya that left the country spiralling into chaos and coming under threat from violent extremists.

Reflecting on his legacy in a Fox News interview aired on Sunday, Obama said his “worst mistake” was “probably failing to plan for the day after what I think was the right thing to do in intervening in Libya”.

Obama has conceded that the intervention “didn’t work”.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest on Monday said Obama’s regrets extended to what “the United States and the rest of the members of our coalition didn’t do”.

“The president has tried to apply this lesson in considering the use of military and other circumstances,” Earnest said.

“That asking the question about what situation will prevail and what sort of commitments from the international community will be required after that military intervention has been ordered by the commander in chief.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36013703

For the record, I was against and am still against the intervention, but it was supported by many international experts, such as the international law expert at my alma mater. In the short term, it did save civilian causalities, but, as we all know, the long-term damage was exponentially worse.

Also, he's right that Cameron deserves a larger share of the blame. Cameron was the leading voice in urging the action.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a shit show.

And he was directly implicit in creating that shit show. The US is almost entirely to blame And yet we are still doing the same shit with Syria and Iran. Seems like a never ending cycle of bullshit geopolitical conquest.

Yes, it was a shit show.

And he was directly implicit in creating that shit show. The US is almost entirely to blame And yet we are still doing the same shit with Syria and Iran. Seems like a never ending cycle of bullshit geopolitical conquest.

Whoa, the US is not "almost entirely to blame." The plan originated in our NATO allies, caught the fancy of warhawk Hillary, and eventually culminated in a collaborative fuck up.

Syria and Iraq? Yeah, we shoulder the lion's share on those.

He literally said being complicit in the NATO intervention was his greatest mistake as president.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36013703

For the record, I was against and am still against the intervention, but it was supported by many international experts, such as the international law expert at my alma mater. In the short term, it did save civilian causalities, but, as we all know, the long-term damage was exponentially worse.

Also, he's right that Cameron deserves a larger share of the blame. Cameron was the leading voice in urging the action.

Admit to a mistake?

For lack of planning after intervention. That's like breaking into someone's house and saying your mistake was not planning a proper getaway

Motherfucker doesn't even hit puberty until he admits that Obamacare was designed to fail and giving Iran billions of dollars to fund terrorism was a very bad idea.
When Obama said Libya was a shit show, he was turned the wrong way in his office and instead of looking at a map of northern Africa, he was actually looking in his shaving mirror.

OP's brain is full of worms.

Like my dog's butt. Brown stripes on mah carpet? Not cool, Baxter.

Yes, it was a shit show.

Did we conquer syria?

Whoa, the US is not "almost entirely to blame." The plan originated in our NATO allies, caught the fancy of warhawk Hillary, and eventually culminated in a collaborative fuck up.

I agree here. I do think Obama was lead by NATO and Hillary when it came to Libya.

If the US and its allies had any notion of military isolationism, I wonder what that region would look like now.

Try this for a better Conservative take:

Trump’s ‘Sh**hole’ Comments Double Down on Identity Politics

Excerpt:

The president of the United States should not, by word or deed, communicate that he is hostile to or disdainful of entire classes of the American population. It doesn’t matter if such divisive rhetoric helps him win elections, nor if the reaction of his opponents is often overblown. As president, his obligation remains the same: Make your case without demonizing whole groups of people.

Devastating stuff and it goes on and on deconstructing the problems with all this tortured logic. I highly recommend the read.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...haiti-africa-comments-identity-politics-worst

Motherfucker doesn't even hit puberty until he admits that Obamacare was designed to fail

It wasn't designed to fail. It pretty clearly was originally designed to eventually lead to a multipayer system.

and giving Iran billions of dollars to fund terrorism was a very bad idea.

We didn't give Iran anything. We removed sanctions, ostensibly "giving" them their own money. And, by the estimations of literally all available intelligence, the agreement was successful.

Also, Iran doesn't "fund terrorism." That's our ally to the south of them.

Admit to a mistake?

For lack of planning after intervention. That's like breaking into someone's house and saying your mistake was not planning a proper getaway

Yeah, I'm comfortable with that analogy.

I think it was our sterling success in middle eastern state building that had him so optimistic.

Conquer? No.

Destabilize and radicalize its population? Certainly.

To quote Billy Joel "We didn't start the fire."

Just added some fuel to Iran and Saudi Arabia's proxy war.

Ditto Russia...

It wasn't designed to fail. It pretty clearly was originally designed to eventually lead to a multipayer system.

We didn't give Iran anything. We removed sanctions, ostensibly "giving" them their own money. And, by the estimations of literally all available intelligence, the agreement was successful.

Also, Iran doesn't "fund terrorism." That's our ally to the south of them.

Yeah, I'm comfortable with that analogy.

I think it was our sterling success in middle eastern state building that had him so optimistic.

Sadly. I think both Obama and Trump lean Non Intervention. But Washington is stocked full of NeoCons

Sadly. I think both Obama and Trump lean Non Intervention. But Washington is stocked full of NeoCons

I do not think the term NeoCon was meant to cover the entire political spectrum of anyone who wants to start a conflict.

Maybe we could say aggressive internationalists or hawks or something, but sadly Neocon does not mean that.

If the US and its allies had any notion of military isolationism, I wonder what that region would look like now.

Or South and Central America. Or Africa, fuck, but we can pass that off on the Europeans.

It's hard for me to be (sufficiently) critical of European hawking, though, when I don't really have a proper concept of its economic motivations, although I'm sure they're insidious as can be.

I'm actually amenable, too, to interventionism in the abstract: I'm not an isolationist ideologue. It's just been a long fucking time since an intervention has been objectively justifiable.

Yeah, it's really hard to say: it's obviously a more complex system of decisionmaking, logistically speaking, than we realize on the outside.

Given Trump's 180 on Iran between the presidential debates, in which Clinton seemed to pose a more hawkish tone, and now, I can only imagine what the war profiteers are hissing in his ear.

Conquer? No.

Destabilize and radicalize its population? Certainly.
Sure, i just hate when people say we're trying to "conquer" anything. It's just the wrong word to use.

Back