How Lomachenko made Rigondeaux quit

aries

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I came across this rather insightful video on youtube. I think the guy explains a lot of things in the fight and it leads me to conclude that Lomachenko beat Rigondeaux with superior footwork and positioning and was the more versatile fighter. Rigondeaux on the other hand wasn't able to adjust when his normal style of boxing failed to work, that's why he quit. He just had no answer to what Lomachenko was doing to him.

Anyway the vid is worth a watch as there are some good technical pointers on what allowed Lomachenko to fairly easily beat a very good boxer in Rigondeaux.

A well known insider here said MONTHS before the fight was even signed that Rigo was out of shape and lost all interest in fighting and was looking for a couple of big paydays with little to no concern for the outcome of the fights. A bunch of us doubted what he said. When the fight was actually signed he reiterated that it was a cash out move for Rigo who just wanted the money and didn't care about the fight. Some of us thought or at least hoped he was wrong. Then the fight happened and Rigo looked pretty disinterested, got schooled, tried to get disqualified and quit on his stool because he bruised his hand. So in the end it is impossible to discount the fact he came into the fight looking for cash and expecting to lose. Yes Loma did a great job and deserves credit for the win but he was fighting someone who was utterly defeated by Bob Arum long before the bell ever rang.

I don't believe this at all. It is completely against who Rigo has been throughout his entire career. One thing that has been his greatest asset is his pride and belief in what he brings to the table. It is why he never ballooned in weight despite long periods of inactivity. His self assured demeanour on the build up to the fight didn't seem like one big act either. He believed he was going to win and had every right to as he is one of the best fighters I've seen and he believed he was the best ever.

He's only screwed up once - the time when he was schooled in sparring by a 15 year old but made changes since.

Rigondeaux just got beaten at his own game and the pride that was once his biggest asset became his biggest enemy.

I am finding it peculiar how everyone who fights Lomachenko are always rumored to have been 'disinterested' leading up to the fight and during the fight. The same was said of Walters, Martinez and now Rigondeaux.

I've never heard anything about Martinez (Lomachenko would dominate any version of Martinez), but the Walters rumours came from there being pictures of him looking very fat going into camp and having a long layoff. None of that is Lomachenko's fault, and I think it's pretty clear that he'd beat any version of Walters.

Still, @RR told all of us several months in advance that Rigo hadn't really cared much about boxing in years, was woefully out of shape, and was looking to cash out. Unless I actually knew Rigo, I'd hesitate to speculate on what his mindset or approach to boxing has been like over the past several years. At the end of the day, he showed up to fight and Lomachenko beat him easily. Lomachenko deserves the credit for that, but there are clear indications that we weren't getting the best Rigondeaux (even if we ignore the fact that he was giving up substantial size, was 37, and didn't have a good win in almost five years).

I don't believe this at all. It is completely against who Rigo has been throughout his entire career. One thing that has been his greatest asset is his pride and belief in what he brings to the table. It is why he never ballooned in weight despite long periods of inactivity. His self assured demeanour on the build up to the fight didn't seem like one big act either. He believed he was going to win and had every right to as he is one of the best fighters I've seen and he believed he was the best ever.

He's only screwed up once - the time when he was schooled in sparring by a 15 year old but made changes since.

Rigondeaux just got beaten at his own game and the pride that was once his biggest asset became his biggest enemy.

I am finding it peculiar how everyone who fights Lomachenko are always rumored to have been 'disinterested' leading up to the fight and during the fight. The same was said of Walters, Martinez and now Rigondeaux.

As usual you are just wrong.

He did balloon out of weight before this fight. Same guy who told us how it was all playing out saw him in person several times before the fight was signed and said point blank that he had put on about 40 pounds out of sheer laziness.

Even if you discount every single fact I stated that is documented and backed up throughout the forum long before the fight ever happened you still have to accept Rigo's own words before the fight. He said HIMSELF that he no longer loved boxing. That he didn't even like or enjoy the sport at all anymore. That it was now a means to an end so he could help his family and himself. A good portion of that specific interview was played on ESPN during fight night before he entered the fucking ring.

So when the fighter himself says he no longer gives a fuck about the sport that he no longer enjoys being a part of and then puts up very little resistance and quits on his stool because of a bruised hand it's beyond obvious what happened.

If you don't believe me that's cool.
If you don't believe the guy who works for Danny Jacobs and gave us the inside info months before the fight then fine.
If you don't believe Rigo himself then you're just stupid.

Rigo is at least 38 and fighting a guy two sizes bigger than him.

Yeah I'm inclined to think his lack of dedication was overstated.
I looked into his instagram where he actually documents his life and it says a completely different story. I don't care to believe a poster just because he works with Danny Jacobs, that doesn't make him automatically believable, I don't operate like that buddy.
https://www.instagram.com/rigoelchacal305/?hl=en
Whoa, a social media account?Great counter, case closed! (This coming from a Rigo fan).

Rigodeaux defense didn't work and he just quit

A well known insider here said MONTHS before the fight was even signed that Rigo was out of shape and lost all interest in fighting and was looking for a couple of big paydays with little to no concern for the outcome of the fights. A bunch of us doubted what he said. When the fight was actually signed he reiterated that it was a cash out move for Rigo who just wanted the money and didn't care about the fight. Some of us thought or at least hoped he was wrong. Then the fight happened and Rigo looked pretty disinterested, got schooled, tried to get disqualified and quit on his stool because he bruised his hand. So in the end it is impossible to discount the fact he came into the fight looking for cash and expecting to lose. Yes Loma did a great job and deserves credit for the win but he was fighting someone who was utterly defeated by Bob Arum long before the bell ever rang.
The problem was Rigo looked in great shape when he stepped into that ring. I actually believe that Rigo was thinking that he might lose this fight, mainly due to the big size disparity. But that's not what went down. Lomachenko didn't once use his extra size and strength to his advantage.

He didn't need to because he achieved victory with superior movement and positioning. It was a boxing lesson not some brute force stronger man dominating kind of fight. Rigondeaux never had a hope of winning this fight even if it was made at 122 and Rigo was 5 years younger. Lomachenko was just that much better and had an answer to every thing Rigo could do to him.

Bruce Trampler has done a masterful job of picking opponents that are legitimate on paper but sneakily have the deck stacked against them. Roberts was out for a year and blew up by 40 pounds, Rigo was small and ancient as well as mentally checked out according to pre fight rumors (the wba stripping was one more twist of the knife intended to demoralize him right before the fight) Sosa is basically an amateur, Marriaga is small, Rocky was totally shot, etc. His most impressive win do date was Gary Russell Jr.

That's exactly what I'm expecting a Rigondeaux fan to say because it's their only excuse because Rigo was such a shit show lol.
'Woah social media account' - where he posted a lot, posting pics and videos of him in shape throughout.
It's no secret that Jacobs has never been a big fan of Lomachenko anyway.
Let me guess, when you DM someone like Mayweather, you think he's actually taking the time to personally respond to you too.

I've got a bridge on beachfront property for sale if you're interested.

He's a Cuban refugee who left his country and turned PRO. Having a better life and making money IS his goal. That's literally the reason people flee Cuba for the US.

Throwing a fight for money isn't out of the question. I personally suspect there was gambling money involved as well, and he did just enough to make it a certain number of rounds and then quit (over 4 rds but under 8 rd mark; the least likely 6th rd win!). People got paid no doubt.

Back