Do you think there's more than one universe?

Only on Sherdog will you see a discussion about a theoretical multi-verse devolve into an offer of butt sex

<Lmaoo>

It's like the Godwin's Law of Sherdog. All conversations, if they continue long enough, eventually lead to offers of butt sex to mouth.

What do you think about the theories that have been postulated regarding a possible second universe interacting with ours if it exists? I remember listening to, I think, a NDT podcast on how a 3D object placed onto a 2D plane would be visible on several points along the 2D plane and how a similar thing might occur with two universes if such a thing exists.

So we may not directly observe a second universe, but instead we could see it's effects on our universe. And maybe we could eventually predict when and where those effects could be observed.

An infinite set doesn't necessarily mean that all possible configurations are used right?

That question really wigs me out sometimes. Maybe things exist simply because they can? The energy in the universe is neither created it destroyed.

Maybe it's always existed in this infinite cycle where pure energy is compressed into this little ball and explodes outwards creating matter in the big bang. The universe then expands until all energy has been turned into matter and it can't expand anymore and there's the heat death of the universe.

Maybe once everything hits this universal limit of expansion and energy expenditure, there's an opposite reaction to the big bang called the big collapse or something.

That collapse will of course condense everything back into that infinitely small point until it reaches a critical mass and explodes.

Would the universe continue to expand after heat death, only at a constant rate?

I'd like to think there's at least a second universe where time runs backwards. Every fluctuation must have a negative and positive slope. If we are moving to higher entropy now, there should have been a reversal. Unless it doesn't have to be symmetrical, dunno if nature should care about this

Last edited:
I wonder if someone could run fast enough, they could open a portal.

I wonder if someone could run fast enough, they could open a portal.
Conor, he showed it in Nate fight

GATiiFDOC1da8.gif

It seems almost impossible that there would only be one universe system. There are always systems within systems, and when we find them, we're always astonished at how extensive they are. We have lots of systems left to find looking inward past the subatomic, and I see no reason why there won't be systems looking outward. If there is more than one universe, there are probably hundreds of billions of them.
I was going to say something similar to this, but much less eloquently.

It's basically the Men In Black theory, which kind of actually makes perfect sense... To me, at least.

It certainly seems that way. Either Space is infinite, or it is not. And if it is, then there are only a finite number of configurations for all the particles in our hubble universe, meaning that the configuration of particles that is our universe would eventually repeat itself somewhere else in space. So would every other configuration including those which are similar to ours but only slightly different, like you have a brother, or some other shit.

How frequently each version of the universe repeats itself relative to others would depend on probability.

Additionally, quantum physics seems to be just that, probability. And multiple probable outcomes of observations seem to exist simultaneously until decoherence. So it would also seem that all of these universes are not only linked by the space shared between them, but also have some kind of quantum link as well, maybe by exchanging information in another dimension.
The space of our universe could be infinite without there being other universes and it likely is.

I think it is finite.

"The Big Crunch hypothesis is a symmetric view of the ultimate fate of the universe. Just as the Big Bang started as a cosmological expansion, this theory assumes that the average density of the universe will be enough to stop its expansion and begin contracting."

"The event horizon is where the escape speed exceeds the speed of light: you'd have to be going faster than light (which is impossible for any bit of matter) to escape the black hole's gravity. Inside the event horizon is where physics goes crazy. A singularity is what all the matter in a black hole gets crushed into."

"Some say that a Black Hole might house an entire Universe. This means that the model of Universe (or Multiverse) becomes recursive. Simply, it would be a Universe inside a Black Hole inside a Universe inside a Black Hole inside a Universe… and so on!"

"A wormhole is a theoretical passage through space-time that could create shortcuts for long journeys across the universe. Wormholes are predicted by the theory of general relativity. It is a concept that represents a solution of the Einstein field equations: a non-trivial structure linking separate points in spacetime."

"In general relativity, a white hole is a hypothetical region of spacetime which cannot be entered from the outside, although matter and light can escape from it. In this sense, it is the reverse of a black hole, which can only be entered from the outside and from which matter and light cannot escape."

Not an expert, but love to read about this crazy shit. :)
Current observations contradict the idea of a big crunch or a universe that is not flat and therefore finite in extent. Note that these 2 things don't contradict the rest of your post, only the first 2 lines.

It seems almost impossible that there would only be one universe system. There are always systems within systems, and when we find them, we're always astonished at how extensive they are. We have lots of systems left to find looking inward past the subatomic, and I see no reason why there won't be systems looking outward. If there is more than one universe, there are probably hundreds of billions of them.
To what subatomic systems do you refer that are left to find? I wasn't aware there was any hint of any particle more fundamental than the quark. I am convinced there may be underlying layers to reality that we don't know about yet, but I'm not sure that's the same thing.

Anyway, I agree it seems like there ought to be based upon how our understanding of the universe has developed over time but there really isn't any evidence. I'm hopeful that as better space telescopes come online we will find ways to learn about them experimentally, but it could easily turn up bupkus.

Last edited:
I'm a subscriber to the idea of an "infinite quilted multiverse." It certainly sounds the coolest.

Infinitesimal, okay. But what's infinite?
Calculus (responsible for possibly all of modern physics related mathematics you might say,) wouldn't exist if it weren't for the ability to add sums of infinite series of numbers, for example. Sure, no one can really properly conceptualize actual infinity, but it doesn't stop us from learning about what infinity, say in the case of an infinite universe, would be like, determine some of its properties, and use that to reach conclusions about the wider world.

Calculus (responsible for possibly all of modern physics related mathematics you might say,) wouldn't exist if it weren't for the ability to add sums of infinite series of numbers, for example. Sure, no one can really properly conceptualize actual infinity, but it doesn't stop us from learning about what infinity, say in the case of an infinite universe, would be like, determine some of its properties, and use that to reach conclusions about the wider world.

I thought calculus is based on the notion of infinitely small, not infinitely big, which to me is a different thing.

You can't work with "infinity", it's meaningless. Mathematicians and physicists must assign values to it for computations to make sense. But then it's not "infinity" as we imagine it. Some sherdog physixxx guy could tell us more, maybe I'm wrong. But doesn't calculating casimir effect f.ex. require you to assign a certain value to "infinity"? (-1/12?)

Yes and no. I think it' more complicated than we can understand. I think reality is less solid and real than we realize, and it may be a much smaller part of a larger "thing."

That's not true. There would be an infinite amount of universes where each outcome is possible.

Not 7.6 just because that's the amount of people on earth

I used that analogy to just put it into perspective. Infinite amount is just too hard to comprehend at times.

So we may not directly observe a second universe, but instead we could see it's effects on our universe.

We may come to the conclusion that effects we observe are from that but we will never know. I have read a ton of Michio Kaku and even NDT, and I love the crazy shit and M-Theory is cool and all. But like with string theory it always seems like "oh yeah this fits" and then it doesn't and they just add another dimension. Then string theory doesn't fit so lets add a membrane and we get M-theory.

We still have not proven (not sure if possible) that there are any more dimension than the 3 plus time that we already observe and live in.

Some people say that we have a holographic universe, meaning something like 2D projected to appear as 3D and that has not been proven false yet.

The only thing I am opposed to is infinite number of physical things. Long story short on that: Universes are born and die. If we have infinite universes, so the # of universe = infinite, and one universe dies it does not make sense that
infinity - 1 = infinity
there is no delta (change)
I think infinity is useful in math but not actual objects with form/mass/body

Also, I am opposed to just the silly. Like there is a universe where cats drive cars. This goes back to if there were INFINITE universes you would get every variation possible and it is nonsense

I thought calculus is based on the notion of infinitely small, not infinitely big, which to me is a different thing.

You can't work with "infinity", it's meaningless. Mathematicians and physicists must assign values to it for computations to make sense. But then it's not "infinity" as we imagine it. Some sherdog physixxx guy could tell us more, maybe I'm wrong. But doesn't calculating casimir effect f.ex. require you to assign a certain value to "infinity"? (-1/12?)
I disagree, and the bold part is just plain untrue.
I think infinity is useful in math but not actual objects with form/mass/body

Also, I am opposed to just the silly. Like there is a universe where cats drive cars. This goes back to if there were INFINITE universes you would get every variation possible and it is nonsense

What you're missing is that when infinity becomes useful in math, it can inform us about the real world. The mathematics doesn't just give us answers to questions, but the questions themselves tell us how the world works (in conjunction with empirical observation).

It's not surprising if you are having trouble imagining an infinite universe, but that is exactly what the math tells us about the universe we live in based upon what we have observed. As for an infinite number of universes, it's a nice idea but it's got a long way to go in terms of evidence. In both cases, however, infinity is not nonsense.

Not only are there probably billions of universes, it may be infinite or so large you might as well call it infinite. In addition to that there is almost no doubt that there are multiple dimensions outside of our own, some estimates say at least 11. That's why I laugh when people mock the possibility of alien lifeforms, even though possibility means a virtual 100% guarantee. There is also the possibility of highly advanced "interdimensional beings" that can pop into our dimension from another one. It sounds fanciful and yet some really smart people seem to think its real. We could conceivably get visitors that are not even from our universe or dimension.

Back