Tyron Woodley - "I'm not respected by the people for being a Champion."

I don't mind his fighting, I'm not as bored by him as a lot are. Some of his fights have been fun and he has some good KO's. He was only 50% to blame in the Thompson fights because all Thompson was doing was staring too and being so hesitant and tentative.

As far as his personality goes, he seems to whine too much and wants to play the victim card, but I don't really listen to much of what the fighters say so it doesn't bother me much.

Fighter who is unpopular because he whines decides to whine about being unpopular. Nice.

It's a weird business where the champions who defend , stay active and fight contenders receive the least amount of acclaim.

Top 3 who do it....

MM (most active, longest title reign)

Woodley (2nd most active, 3rd longest title reign)

DC (4th most active, 2nd longest title reign)......

Hey, .....it is what it is.....

Its almost as if you have to earn respect with your actions rather than being awarded it because of a piece of fake gold.

I kind of agree. When I think of great fighters I don’t really think Woodley. But when you think about it, he’s accomplished a lot. He’s just boring.

I’d respect him if he fought like he did when he was a hungry contender. Last performances were sobering

People want to see him try to finish more / not play it safe. Yeah he's winning but it's not very entertaining and won't really gain you the respect you want. There's fighters that gain a lot of respect in losses as well, because they were putting a lot into it and trying to win, not coast to a decision. I dont know if he will change this style anytime soon if he fears it could cost him the title to step on the gas a bit more. He's a wrestler, he could of tried more in the striking department against a jujitsu fighter in Maia. He was way too worried about getting taken down in the clinch, but I figured he has enough confidence in his wrestling to nuturlize that and put on a striking clinic, yet he played it safe instead and barley did that. He made Maia look like the striker.

False authority demands respect; true authority commands it.

Tyron obviously is a great fighter
As a fighter, people are only judging him for a handful of fights in which yes they can be considered boring but they were the smartest thing to do, and in the end he won his fights against Maia and Wonderboy so u cant blame him.

In saying that though if u watch his fights you will see he is a crazy powerful and fast guy. He is a beast, the power he has is insane.

Also idek what all this hate for Woodley comes from, what did he do

I kinda get what he's saying here, as I do think most fans LIKE fighters such as Lawler and Condit more.

But I'm not entirely convinced that it's because they don't 'respect' Woodley.

I think it's more that many fans just don't find him all that interesting as a Champion, both inside and outside the cage. He hasn't exactly been in Barn-burner types of title defenses, despite being successful.

Personally, even though I'm not a big fan, I DO respect that at least TWood remains an active champ who fights the top guys in his division, in an era where that increasingly seems to be becoming the exception, and not the rule.

What say you Sherdoggers? Does he have a point? And if so, what can he do to win fans over?

3:50

InbornDefinitiveBufflehead-max-1mb.gif

The mans last 2 title fights were 2 of the top 5 most boring title fights in UFC history .................. and he still asks this question.

Woodley:
a) made himself look like a duck as soon as he won the belt by begging for "money" fights with Diaz/McDuck/GSP while trying his best to avoid fighting top contenders
b) had less than exciting tittle defenses two of which ended in a draw and a robbery

That's not a recipe for a respected champion

I don't think anyone who follows the sport doesn't respect him. He's the champ for a reason, but his fights are not compelling and his personality is not endearing. very few people want to watch him or listen to him

Tito “the people’s champ” Ortiz, there can only be one!

Lines like this are probably why he's not respected. He's so needy for it, and is usually pretty condescending towards fans instead of trying to find a middle ground to connect with them. Respect isn't obligated Tyron

Sorry Tyron but you are living in the era of the true GOAT.

This man didn't just spoil Star Wars.

He is Star Wars.

View attachment 323821
This dumbasss is talking about "nerds watching Star Wars" yet he was one of the first in line to watch it. He's a faagg and has already been exposed as one. "I'll kick your ass, you filthy Brazilian, but if I can't, I'll call the cops on you!"

I kinda get what he's saying here, as I do think most fans LIKE fighters such as Lawler and Condit more.

But I'm not entirely convinced that it's because they don't 'respect' Woodley.

I think it's more that many fans just don't find him all that interesting as a Champion, both inside and outside the cage. He hasn't exactly been in Barn-burner types of title defenses, despite being successful.

Personally, even though I'm not a big fan, I DO respect that at least TWood remains an active champ who fights the top guys in his division, in an era where that increasingly seems to be becoming the exception, and not the rule.

What say you Sherdoggers? Does he have a point? And if so, what can he do to win fans over?

3:50

His fights against Thompson were supremely undewhelming. Just stood there with his hand cocked like E Honda and would counter after Thompson attacked. That's not fighting, that's self-defense. GTFO.

His reasoning was that Thompson was a very good striker, but Woodley could have taken him down, he has a huge advantage there. Even on the feet he had a massive speed/power advantage, but he barely umoosed himself at all.

we all to racist to recognize his greatness!!

The draw in the first Wonderboy fight was FOTN, but hate on.

Did you see the fight? It was not good. Two hesitant guys afraid to engage. This fight clearly represents why Woodley is an unpopular champion.

Back