170 is the one division where the UFC champ might not be the best fighter

LOL Its at LW who was smoked by a LW gatekeeper and barley won a decision and lost to another no name LW ranked like 40 or something and still in UFC. The guy has 1 fight at LW in UFC and been running ever since.

This post is biased as hell, you say it's just "good match making" yet you bring up how Rory beats Tyron who's a good stylistic matchup for Rory.

You do realize Rory has lost to three guys that Tyron beat? Two of them finished rory, Tyron can beat more top competition than Rory he's the better champion.

A young Rory lost to them yes but everyone would pick Rory in a rematch because he handled majority of both the Lawler and Condit fights.

How does Woodley being a stylistically favorable match up for him change the fact that Woodley has had favorable match making to get him to the belt?

And yes Woodley has a win over WB but let's not pretend it's a clear cut win. He struggled greatly with WB even though WBs holes were there for him to exploit.

Are we done with this MMAth yet?

Shit thread. No, is not the only division and Rory claims about being the best WW in the world would be dogshit, he's not. He had his chances to prove that and didn't went well for him. A win over T Wood in a good match up doesn't mean much in that regard. The only 2 who could argue about being the best WW in the world would be Askren and Lima, if the last beats Rory, of course.

Delusional, only morons think Thompson won those fights Woodley caused all the significant damage, there's no question Woodley won the FIGHT both time this isn't karate point fighting, Woodley cracked Thompsons shit twice and had him hurt, Thompson was never able to put Woodley in any sort of danger in the 10 rounds of fighting they had

There is a point system. So yes, it's point fighting.

WB won roughly 7/10 rounds against Woodley. Deal with it.

Shit thread. No, is not the only division and Rory claims about being the best WW in the world would be dogshit, he's not. He had his chances to prove that and didn't went well for him. A win over T Wood in a good match up doesn't mean much in that regard. The only 2 who could argue about being the best WW in the world would be Askren and Lima, if the last beats Rory, of course.

As much as I hate to disagree with someone who was so kind as to kiss the Askren ring.

I think it is fine to consider Rory as the best with a win over Lima.

Rory is 28 and Woodley and Wonderboy will both be 35 there next fight.

Before it was:

Rory > woodley
&
Wonderboy + Lawler > Rory

Woodley > Wonderboy (kinda) and Lawler
Rory > Woodley.

I also don't think anyone would pick Lawler over Rory again in a fight moving forward.

So that leaves Rory with only Wonderboy as a clear favorite over him. Woodley with only Rory a clear favorite over him. Wonderboy with Woodley a small favorite over him.

So three fighters each with a thorn but Rory is the youngest of those 3 and the Lawler thorn has passed so he no longer has two thorns.

I think it is fine to consider Rory as the best with a win over Lima.

Rory is 28 and Woodley and Wonderboy will both be 35 there next fight.
How does their age mean anything to that topic? We are talking about the best WW right now, not in future, not in 2020+ when Woodley and Thompson goes into decline.

The fact is that Rory is 1-2 in last 3, 1 year and a half ago he was dominated by Thompson and before that he lost in his chance to prove that he was the best, to Robbie.

If he beats Daley and Lima, 2 fighters that we can't really say that would be top 4 right now (Woodley, Thompson, RDA, Askren are), how it makes him the best WW in the planet? Just because he has a W over Woodley? Lol, again, he lost to Lawler and Thompson. Fair and square.

WW has the most talent in MMA so it makes sense to me
I don't think it's the most talented division. Lawler fought at MW - almost had a losing record there. Went back to WW and won the belt. Maia had one good win at MW [Sonnen] - dropped to WW and ran through most of the division enroute to a title shot.

Not his fault, but Woodley has some questions around his status as the best 170 pounder in the world that I don't think any of the other UFC champions have. Both Ben Askren, undefeated and a higher level wrestler, and Rory McDonald, a former top talent who beat Woodley, could make their claims as being better than anyone else with some plausibility. And of course there is the shadow of GSP looming over the division as well.
Other divisions have it too...

Francis is betting favorite over Stipe.
Jones has beaten DC twice. Gustafsson basically drew with DC.
I think Whittaker is the best MW but he still has tests ahead.
There is an obvious trifecta of fighters at LW who can make the claim to be the best.
I agree with you at featherweight. Though Zabit looks special.
Bantamweight is stacked. I'm not convinced TJ beats Cody every time. There's the unavenged loss to Cruz. And a host of contenders building up.
At flyweight, DJ has been ducking TJ.
Cyborg is currently ducking Nunes.
Shevchenko arguably beat Nunes.
Nicco Montano is highly unproven.
Rose has decisive losses to KK and Carla, and has razor thin fights with Tecia, has yet to face beasts like Andrade and Gadelha, and I'm not ruling out Joanna's chances in a rematch.

Rory and Ben Askren aren't in the UFC, therefore they're disqualified from the argument. Woodley knocked the fuck out of Lawler and he beat both Wonderboy and Maia. He can call himself the best 170 pounder in the UFC until someone comes along and proves otherwise.

Twood is def the best fighter in the WW div. only one I could see giving him problems is usman because similar styles but I think Woolley has better stand up. I need to see till fight more especially vs a wrestler ponzo stands now chance and rda would have the same fate as Thompson

It's possible. But on the other hand Tyron beat two guys who Rory couldn't beat.

It's a shame the UFC wasn't willing to pay Rory more, I would've loved to see them fight in a rematch.

You could say the same for every division except flyweight.

Pretty much this. The crazy influx of tough bastards from Chechnya and Dagestan are gonna make things difficult for the current champs.

Wonderboy fought him twice and Woodley is still the champ.

Lightweight.

Ferguson
Khabib
Barboza
>
Conor = UFC Champ

And as far as Head-to-Head, stylistically...
Michael Chandler > UFC Champ, too. Maybe also Kevin Lee.

And how would you know that any of those men could defeat him? My God fans.

Not his fault, but Woodley has some questions around his status as the best 170 pounder in the world that I don't think any of the other UFC champions have. Both Ben Askren, undefeated and a higher level wrestler, and Rory McDonald, a former top talent who beat Woodley, could make their claims as being better than anyone else with some plausibility. And of course there is the shadow of GSP looming over the division as well.

You are incredibly disrespectful to Nate Marquardt.

the fact is Woodley dropped Thompson got controlled and lost.

That's a fact but on THE fact.

Wonderboy has spent more time winning against Woodley than Woodley has against him.

A hail Mary or two doesn't negate all the holes and flaws Woodley has and was shown in those fights.

Ermmm...

Rose is definitely the best Strawweight in the world?

Max is definitely better than Edgar?

Conor is definitely better than Ferguson or Nurmagomedov?

Whittaker is definitely better than Rockhold and Romero?

Cormier lol?

You're crazy.

Back