Switzerland Bans Boiling Lobster Alive.

FacePunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Live crustaceans, including the lobster, may no longer be transported on ice or in ice water. Aquatic species must always be kept in their natural environment," says the new law, according to Swiss Info. "Crustaceans must now be stunned before they are killed,"

The new edict comes in the wake of a recent Italian law that decreed lobsters can't be kept on ice in restaurant kitchens.

Elwood has conducted a series of experiments that suggest crustaceans are sentient and that boiling them alive is inhumane.

"With the data we know, it is highly likely that the animal will be in pain," he says. "We give protection to birds and mammals, currently we give very little protection to decapod crustaceans -- lobsters and crabs -- and the question comes, why is there this difference?"

Elwood's studies suggest crustaceans will make serious life and death decisions when exposed to pain. In experiments, hermit crabs were quick to abandon a shell if it was exposed to a large electric shock.
"They are really giving up a very valuable resource that means life to them, essentially, in order to escape from the noxious stimulus," explains Elwood.

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/switzerland-lobster-boiling-banned/index.html

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvQWVDWGZtQ3lkTVRlTS9naXBoeS5naWYlog.gif

This thread might be more fun in the war room... :D

Good! Hope they go against animal crating next! i like seafood but never got love for bottom feeders.

Ethically, I think the rule is that you now have to humanely jam a knife in their brain, and split their heads in half, before tossing them in the pot.

They are sea spiders. This is stupid.

I would think they should be dead extremely quickly boiled alive as long as you have a properly sized pot.

I would think they should be dead extremely quickly boiled alive as long as you have a properly sized pot.
The same can be said about you. you would just be in excruciating pain for that little bit of time. I guess since its only for a little bit, its ok.

Good. There's no good reason not to dispatch a lobster before subjecting it to boiling water.

Lobster's feelings and Switzerland...so far the two least important things of my day.

They die and then the memory of the pain is erased. Oh wait, they probably have no memories because they are no smarter than a large insect. Either way, I don't think this is that harsh practice.

I wonder if the penalty for doing it is they boil you alive... or maybe just splash a cup of hot coffee in your face.

Supposedly the most humane way to kill them is by putting a cleaver through their head.

They die and then the memory of the pain is erased. Oh wait, they probably have no memories because they are no smarter than a large insect. Either way, I don't think this is that harsh practice.
Post up them sources of your claims, bruh!

I should rape your wife in front of you, and then kill you, so that the memory is erased!! :)

No but i agree,boiling anything alive is cruel as fuck. Bad enough we eat animals might as well do it as "humanely" as we can.

You have to walk the lobster into a dark room and shoot in that back of the head unexpectedly like they did with Joe Pesci in Goodfellas

I wonder if the penalty for doing it is they boil you alive... or maybe just splash a cup of hot coffee in your face.
You're the futurist around here, do you think an advanced alien race will give a damn about sparing us a few seconds of pain before they suck our brains out through a straw?

Stun them with what? My haunting rendition of "Funny Girl?"

Back