How important is the website quality for your school?

Thats in line with what I was thinking, the site doesn't need to be too flashy. But many of my other friends around me who are in marketing, tech, and fields related to websites and design insist on having an awesome website that might cost more. I was just thinking the website could be a reference point for basic information about the school and instructors
One of my long time training partners and BJJ black belt who is also very savvy with website design and SEO marketing was actually suggesting I go with the most economical option, and I, going along with him. No offense to my other friends who specialize in their fields but I think they don't understand the dynamics and culture between both worlds as well as my training partner does.

When you say managing social media accounts on a day to day basis, what do you mean by that? Posting and updating every day?
maybe not every day, but like once or twice a week. could just be my perception, but a lot of the schools i see with good student turn outs (and arent dojos with famous instructors) usually have a fairly active social media network. just an occasional picture, video, and sometimes even a technique video. these things first end up getting 'liked' by dojo members, and because of it show up on other peoples feeds.

in particular, i see sometimes a dojo make a pretty decent technique video and it ends up getting shared by non-dojo members and catches some heat. ends up being free advertisement for the school, gets the name out there, and of course if the technique and instruction is good, it acts as a good example of the quality of the dojo.

also, if your members are basically all connected in some way through social media, it's easy to remind them of holiday closures and things along those lines

I used to do a weekly of the member of the week on Facebook and tagged him.

Since we have so many members it is a nice way to introduced each other and also promote the gym to the friends of the persons you taggd.

You could even take a list of birthday and a picture anf then just wish them Happy birthday on their week etc..

That would mean at least one to 2 post a week.

JT Torres' Essential BJJ IMO has an ideal website and handles things like visitor information, rates, etc very tactfully

From my observations, the most common mistake gyms make is the schedule. Many schedules look inaccurate, and generally empty. Even the appearance of an active and varied schedule can cement a membership decision (especially among women); so having that Saturday morning yoga class, or Tues/Thurs Kickboxing, can really influence new people who would otherwise be dumbfounded by the standard "6pm Intermediate BJJ Class, 7pm Intermediate BJJ Sparring."

Many schedules look inaccurate, and generally empty. Even the appearance of an active and varied schedule can cement a membership decision (especially among women); so having that Saturday morning yoga class, or Tues/Thurs Kickboxing, can really influence new people who would otherwise be dumbfounded by the standard "6pm Intermediate BJJ Class, 7pm Intermediate BJJ Sparring."

Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by generally empty? I get that some don't update their schedules

Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by generally empty? I get that some don't update their schedules

You look at the schedule and it's a sea of empty boxes interrupted by "5:30-6:30pm Intermediate Gi, 6:30-7:30pm Intermediate Gi Sparring." A lot of new people, women especially, may not want to join a fight club, but they wouldn't mind a place where they can get in shape while learning a martial art. So even some token variety on the schedule (like a weekly yoga class) can make a big difference.

i see what you mean. Would it be a better idea to do away with empty boxes and just list the class times one after another? Do you think a once a week yoga class is enough to make a difference?

i see what you mean. Would it be a better idea to do away with empty boxes and just list the class times one after another? Do you think a once a week yoga class is enough to make a difference?

yeah may be a good idea to avoid calendar plug-ins that list all the times of the day if you're only going to have 2 hrs on the schedule. Regarding making the schedule seem full and beginner-friendly; just having a couple items a week that aren't "intermediate gi drilling" can make a big difference. Yoga, strength and conditioning, Kickboxing, are all common examples, and you can probably find a member to teach them or make a trade with somebody. Definitely some kind of class that says the word "Beginner." Again, I think women especially, but new people in general, want that sense that they're joining a gym, rather than just taking BJJ classes (even if they're just going to take BJJ classes anyway).

I also think that pictures or some about us write up to give a sense of the vibe would be cool.

I am always interested in the gym environment. I felt out a few gyms, I knew I wanted to to BJJ and the black belts teaching were legit, but I really needed an insight to how class was ran and what the mood was like to make a decision.

Also I understand why some places list prices I also understand why they don’t .

One last thing I wanted to put out there is I think there is a lot of need for an early morning class. I had a hiatus at work I trained somewhere for a few months, liked it ok enough. But the schedule was rough if you had a job first class at 9am. Then one at 5,30 and 6,30.

I ended up signing up somewhere else cause they have a 7am class , and stayed cause it was a good fit

At a gym I managed, we didn't post prices online, but did tell people if they asked over the phone. A compromise of sorts.

And Balto's earlier post about the bargain hunters is absolutely true - they're a pain in the ass. They want to pay the least while expecting the most service. My friend owned a painting business and he simply refused to do business with people like that because they would often cause him to lose money. They wanted the cheapest possible prices, yet expect him to bend over backwards, complained about everything and demanded re-paints of everything.

That's why we told people the prices over the phone, but never discounted from that price. The price was sort of like a filter against difficult people.

For any small business or bjj school, having an online presence or a website is essential for growth.

However, for someone who has never made a website, there are so may options nowadays to get started. Some of my tech friends/students who are pretty business savvy have some great ideas for websites and are helping me out. However, the cost of maintaining the sites seem kind of high to me.

What I'm saying is the website for a BJJ school seems to require information about the school, features, schedules, and pictures. It is something to be updated but it doesn't seem like something that needs frequent updating, unlike a social media page. It doesn't seem to me a BJJ school website needs to be crazy fancy or anything, or am I being too simple minded about this?

I think a free website maker and a small fee for hosting the site seems to be enough, or am I skimping out on this?
I work at a gym as a trainer and make my money with private lessons, small group lessons and corporate wellness classes. I got a Squarespace page and then traded/paid someone to build my website. It looks professional and clean and i get positive comments on it all the time. I think it’s a good way to stand out from your competition and get people to come take intro classes from you instead of somewhere else. Spend the money. It’s an investment

There is a gym that does not advertise their price because they are expensive.

But now I just find out that they are running offers that are so cheap and are getting so many sales lead

But what is the point?

Do they think that the bargain hunters would be willing to spend 4 times more on fees once the first month cheap offer has expired?

One last thing I wanted to put out there is I think there is a lot of need for an early morning class. I had a hiatus at work I trained somewhere for a few months, liked it ok enough. But the schedule was rough if you had a job first class at 9am. Then one at 5,30 and 6,30.

I ended up signing up somewhere else cause they have a 7am class , and stayed cause it was a good fit

I fully intend to add early morning classes, starting around 7/730am. DO you think early morning classes will work if you don't have a shower a the gym? Thats my only concern.

At a gym I managed, we didn't post prices online, but did tell people if they asked over the phone. A compromise of sorts.

And Balto's earlier post about the bargain hunters is absolutely true - they're a pain in the ass. They want to pay the least while expecting the most service. My friend owned a painting business and he simply refused to do business with people like that because they would often cause him to lose money. They wanted the cheapest possible prices, yet expect him to bend over backwards, complained about everything and demanded re-paints of everything.

That's why we told people the prices over the phone, but never discounted from that price. The price was sort of like a filter against difficult people.

Thats what I was planning to do, not post the prices on the website but I would disclose them if someone called and asked

I got a Squarespace page and then traded/paid someone to build my website. It looks professional and clean and i get positive comments on it all the time. I think it’s a good way to stand out from your competition and get people to come take intro classes from you instead of somewhere else. Spend the money. It’s an investment

Did you get someone else to do it for you because it was difficult to work on it by yourself? Or were there more technical issues you may have needed help with?

Not about being secretive - We know we are one of the more expensive gyms. And you also get better facilities, mat space, bathrooms, weight rooms, etc that you don't get elsewhere. Not gonna try to sell you a Mercedes on the phone when you're only looking for Kia prices. It's not intended to be rude or secretive, but it's how higher quality items are sold...

And if you don't have a little bit of time to check out the gym in person, then we don't feel you're taking the idea of training all the seriously. Put some effort into it and check out the gym in person.

I agree with most of what you said except for this, especially as applied for visitors. I get a lot of visitors that call me for information, as we don't have a website for now. Myself as a visitor, I definitely check out websites beforehand when I go in and sometimes the more information I get, I'm more likely to go in to pay the full drop in fee and even purchase some merchandise. As a visitor, I don't have time to walk into a few gyms to check them out.

I fully intend to add early morning classes, starting around 7/730am. DO you think early morning classes will work if you don't have a shower a the gym? Thats my only concern

Yeah not everyone showers after morning class so I assume they stop home before work.

Also my office has a shower, others might as well

Back