King Crimson- all time great youve never heard

CrimsonFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I used to be really into these guys when i was into prog and experimental shit.

Formed in 1969, still active. Musican mastermind Bob Fripp has lead tons of great musicians over the years and has probably the most diverse catalog of anyone.

Some big names who have been apart of King Crimson

Greg Lake, Emerson Lake and Palmer

Andrien Belew, talking heads

Tony Levins

John Wetton

Best to start with their first album. Which is simply amazing

The court of the crimson king

Its hard to find the studio recordings on youtube. Copyrights n shit.

If theres any interest in this thread, ill post more of the good stuff

It seems like they had more fame by making contributions to Peter Gabriel, Bowie and Eno than the band itself as you mentioned. I really like Fripps work Bowie
Their music just has very little commercial appeal.

In the Court of The Crimson king is the easiest listen for most.

If you can handle the prog shit. Imo Larks Tounges in Aspic is great.

Bad habit of mine. I do it like 10% of the time. But like I mention in the post, it does seem like the musicians are better known as session work rather than as King Crimson.

Lol what? King Crimson is one of the biggest names in the prog scene, they aren't an obscure band by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, I love 60s/70's KC. Not so much anything after that.

Thanks to Kanye, almost everybody in the world has some recognition of 21st Century Schizoid Man!

One of my all time favorite bands. Fripp inspired me to play guitar, being the tone deaf guy I am. It's a shame Fripp is so notoriously stingy with sharing his music rights. Why the hell wouldn't he want his masterpieces available to the public, especially nowadays where everything is so easily accessible?

Adrien Belew was awesome as a front man too. Waiting Man, Neal and Jack and me and Matte Kudesai are all incredible tracks.

Lol what? King Crimson is one of the biggest names in the prog scene, they aren't an obscure band by any stretch of the imagination.
Compared to Floyd, Yes, ELP, Rush, Genisis. They get zero radio play, ive never seen anything about them on vh1 or mtv growing up. Theyre pretty obscure dude. Not many people i talk to know who they are outside of musicians

One of my all time favorite bands. Fripp inspired me to play guitar, being the tone deaf guy I am. It's a shame Fripp is so notoriously stingy with sharing his music rights. Why the hell wouldn't he want his masterpieces available to the public, especially nowadays where everything is so easily accessible?

Adrien Belew was awesome as a front man too. Waiting Man, Neal and Jack and me and Matte Kudesai are all incredible tracks.

Belew was good. But probably my least favorite

Lake
Wetton
Belew

How about Bill Bruford on drums. Starless and Bible black, Red, and larks were awesome with Bruford and Wetton

Compared to Floyd, Yes, ELP, Rush, Genisis. They get zero radio play, ive never seen anything about them on vh1 or mtv growing up. Theyre pretty obscure dude. Not many people i talk to know who they are outside of musicians

They're not that obscure.

A couple songs of theirs I like:

Dinosaur
Matte Kudasai
Three of a Perfect Pair

Obviously not an obscure band lol, of course I have heard of them they are one of my favourite bands. Discipline-era King Crimson is the best, though In the Court of the Crimson King does take some beating. I've got an original US pressing of Discipline, sounds fantastic. In fact I just posted one of their songs in what are you listening to thread, one of my favourites:

Awesome group at that time Fripp, Levin, Belew and Bruford.

For something that actually is underrated and not as well know, Belew's solo record Lone Rhino is very good too.

Last edited:
Their run of albums between Lizard and Discipline is pretty amazing. The Great Deceiver is a great time too. Never was really captivated by the rest of their discography.

Here's another great song by them.

The "Red" album is my favorite an a masterpiece. I also love "In the Court", "Larks Tongue" and "Starless and Bible Black".

That's the extent of my knowledge of the band though. I've been meaning to try out others but the catalog is vast and varied.

Red is my favorite album of theirs

Recorded as a 3 piece they all tear it up on their respective instruments

Back