Douchebag in the gym

BJJChess

Rock&Roll forever BABY
@Yellow
Reaction score
I started doing Judo while ago and the gym is small, not many members. There are few adult ones including me, but they skip training often. So the instructor pairs me with this jerk who is incredibly rude and too rough even though we are all beginners including him. The last time he threw some poor guy so hard so the guy got injured badly. The instructor doesn't seems to care all that much so I don't know what to do. I want to train Judo but the fear of injury really drives me crazy.

Find another judo gym where the instructor takes care of students?

Do what you want but I don't like training throws. I know I know you need to be well rounded. Well I'm in my 40s, I have a bad back, and I'm looking for longevity.

Find another judo gym where the instructor takes care of students?

Do what you want but I don't like training throws. I know I know you need to be well rounded. Well I'm in my 40s, I have a bad back, and I'm looking for longevity.
I live in a small place right now where there are no other Judo schools. I could drive for one hour to another place though. I wouldn't be doing judo for too long, I just want to get well familiar with the throws. I'm not planning to compete for sure.

I live in a small place right now where there are no other Judo schools. I could drive for one hour to another place though. I wouldn't be doing judo for too long, I just want to get well familiar with the throws. I'm not planning to compete for sure.
yeah. It's a tough situation if you really want to train judo. Just keep going and see where it leads you, I guess. It's entirely up to you. I gave you my opinion on the matter already.

If your not planning on doing judo long term or as your main martial arts training why deal with the hassle of being thrown and risking injury and dealing with dbags like the guys you spoke of?

Most legit BJJ schools will teach you at least a handful of takedowns/throws anyway, which is more than adequate for self defense. Plus you said yourself your not trying to compete so why bother with judo training if there aren't many options to train judo in your area, without you going out of your way to train somewhere far.

If your not planning on doing judo long term or as your main martial arts training why deal with the hassle of being thrown and risking injury and dealing with dbags like the guys you spoke of?

Most legit BJJ schools will teach you at least a handful of takedowns/throws anyway, which is more than adequate for self defense. Plus you said yourself your not trying to compete so why bother with judo training if there aren't many options to train judo in your area, without you going out of your way to train somewhere far.
I agree with you about good bjj schools but I just want to focus more on throws right now. If you have a sane training partner there should be no risk of a big injury. I will show up on the class and if I see that there are no good training partners I will just practice ukemi in the corner.

Did you try talking to the instructor directly and telling him your concerns?
As in - I'm considering leaving because I don't feel safe training with John? I want to learn Judo, but I don't think this gym is taking my safety seriously and I'm curious what your thoughts are?

If you haven't had that conversation, I highly recommend doing so. At least you will get your answer and know whether or not its time to move on.

I agree with you about good bjj schools but I just want to focus more on throws right now. If you have a sane training partner there should be no risk of a big injury. I will show up on the class and if I see that there are no good training partners I will just practice ukemi in the corner.
It doesn't sound like your instructor is very good if the guy you spoke of isn't being corrected and there is so little structure in the class that you'd feel comfortable doing your own thing in the corner as a relatively new student.

Did you try talking to the instructor directly and telling him your concerns?
As in - I'm considering leaving because I don't feel safe training with John? I want to learn Judo, but I don't think this gym is taking my safety seriously and I'm curious what your thoughts are?

If you haven't had that conversation, I highly recommend doing so. At least you will get your answer and know whether or not its time to move on.
You are right, I will talk to him for sure. I just hate to bring up that kind of stuff. The instructor might think I'm a sissy or something because I complain about roughness. You know how it is...

I started doing Judo while ago and the gym is small, not many members. There are few adult ones including me, but they skip training often. So the instructor pairs me with this jerk who is incredibly rude and too rough even though we are all beginners including him. The last time he threw some poor guy so hard so the guy got injured badly. The instructor doesn't seems to care all that much so I don't know what to do. I want to train Judo but the fear of injury really drives me crazy.

You talking shit about me brah? You're dead next class.

It doesn't sound like your instructor is very good if the guy you spoke of isn't being corrected and there is so little structure in the class that you'd feel comfortable doing your own thing in the corner as a relatively new student.
There are many kids in the class, they comfortably do their own thing. There are 3-4 grown ups. Most of the time it's just 2 of us unfortunately. The school is quite new so that is the problem.

Over all based on this, this gym doesnt seem right for you. Either go in the corner and learn by yourself, which you will probably be making mistakes by yourself and learning bad habits. Injuries are part of the game, but any half way decent instructor should try and take injuries out as much as humanly possible, but it seems that the instructor just kind of ignores you all together. Dont be somebodies elses rent money.

Last edited:
doesn't sound like a school worth training at....

Or that will be open very long according to your description of the chief instructor.

First priority of a school is build your income base/student base.

That translates into making sure everyone is training safely, and there's a way to do that even with Judo.

Doesn't sound like it's worth training with a D bag instructor for your own good.

Sorry for whooping you so bad TS, its just my nature

My first judo coach would tell us as we transferred away:

"Bad judo is worse than no Judo, I'd rather you stay off the mats and come back strong years later than risk injury for nothing"

During randori you should roundhouse kick him in the face and then apologize and tell him you are still tweaking some details of your osoto gari. Repeat as necessary.

During randori you should roundhouse kick him in the face and then apologize and tell him you are still tweaking some details of your osoto gari. Repeat as necessary.
I did manage to step on his toe once. It was an accident but it really made me happy.

I did manage to step on his toe once. It was an accident but it really made me happy.
See if you can kick his toenail off, when practicing foot sweeps.

I did that once, but unfortunately to one of my better friends at the club!

Back