Povetkin

milenss

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I don't see any threads floating around for Povetkin's comeback. What do you guys think of him? I thought he was a real threat to Wilder/AJ some years ago before the meldonium scandal. Nowadays he doesn't seem like an improved version of himself as his latest win over the big Romanian guy didn't impress me much. It seemed like he lacked the hard KO punch he once packed. Yet I'd like to hear what do you think of his prospects at HW gold.

He's past his physical prime, he has the technical skill advantage over both world champions but without the "help" I don't know if he can last 12 rounds with either.

The suspension really seemed to sap all his momentum but he is still winning, didn't he earn a shot after beating Hammer? When the Wilder fight was announced I thought he had a good chance, but he's getting older and two decisions in a row which makes him seem more like a dark horse nowadays.

For him to end up a mandatory is a darn joke

He beat the top contenders, so now he's the top contender.

He's had 2 regional title defenses and shown himself he can be clean, so deserves his fair shot. An offense shouldn't mean a lifetime ban.

He belongs in a ring with Ortiz.

The fella has been caught juicing twice. He should be banned from the sport imo. Most fans don’t take him seriously anymore because he’s a serial cheat. Any fight for a belt should not be in Russia either with their recent history

The fella has been caught juicing twice. He should be banned from the sport imo. Most fans don’t take him seriously anymore because he’s a serial cheat. Any fight for a belt should not be in Russia either with their recent history

Any champion fighting outside of their territory is because they either: want to fight overseas, or because their own promoter was too cheap to put up money that satisfied both sides, so it went to purse bid and some other promoter is footing the bill. Sanctioning bodies do not randomly force champions to fight in foreign countries.

Any champion fighting outside of their territory is because they either: want to fight overseas, or because their own promoter was too cheap to put up money that satisfied both sides, so it went to purse bid and some other promoter is footing the bill. Sanctioning bodies do not randomly force champions to fight in foreign countries.

I’m well aware of that. but I wouldn’t blame any of the champions giving up their belt if they were made to fight a multiple cheat in a country that has just been banned from the last 2 olympics due to state sponsored cheating. I’d hope whatever org that has him as mandatory would take steps to make sure this is a fair fight. Banned fighter shouldn’t keep their rankings either imo but that won’t change

I’m well aware of that. but I wouldn’t blame any of the champions giving up their belt if they were made to fight a multiple cheat in a country that has just been banned from the last 2 olympics due to state sponsored cheating. I’d hope whatever org that has him as mandatory would take steps to make sure this is a fair fight. Banned fighter shouldn’t keep their rankings either imo but that won’t change

While the boxing governing bodies SHOULD penalize dopers harsh (not with larger fines, but larger suspension). The reality is they are suspended for a year or two (or a slap on the wrist, if you're Mexican). It is PRO boxing after all, and they're not concerned with countries or scandals involving their national teams.

I think Povetkin should have served at least 2 years, but they chose to fine him a hefty amount instead. Since then he's been found clean in his 2 title fights, and if a fighter can only prove he's rectified his way I am strongly against the idea of lifetime punishment.

I'm also not a fan of this idea of punishing an entire country because of the action of a few. Most professional boxers are NOT state sponsored, they are private athletes under private promoters/managers. So the politics and scandals of states shouldn't affect individuals.

Pro boxing is an individual sport, and none of the governing bodies have a relation with the Olympics. Matter of fact they are highly antagonistic towards AIBA (amateur boxing body).

While the boxing governing bodies SHOULD penalize dopers harsh (not with larger fines, but larger suspension). The reality is they are suspended for a year or two (or a slap on the wrist, if you're Mexican). It is PRO boxing after all, and they're not concerned with countries or scandals involving their national teams.

I think Povetkin should have served at least 2 years, but they chose to fine him a hefty amount instead. Since then he's been found clean in his 2 title fights, and if a fighter can only prove he's rectified his way I am strongly against the idea of lifetime punishment.

I agree with much of your post but I am certainly for lifetime bans for fighters caught a 2nd time or more. Why the fck should they be given another chance to earn a living from a sport that they are tarnishing. The rules are a nonsense, but it is what it is until the powers that be are serious about having a clean sport

I don’t think he’d beat Wilder or Joshua without “supplements”. He just hasn’t looked the same and isn’t getting any younger. I favored him over Wilder before he got suspended, not now. I think his current form is 50/50 with Parker.

Back