alternative cardio exercises?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
are there exercises other then running that can work my cardio like it?

Swimming. For more advanced cardio, chum yourself then add great white sharks for motivation.

Rowing/Cross-country skiing/Cycling/kayaking/rope skipping (although the effect size is probably lower than some of the others)/prowler literally any exercise that uses a large mass of muscle in a cyclical fashion that has relatively low blood pressure during the performance and a large venous return (which is why "lifting weights faster" tends to be shitty cardio)

An airdyne will fuck you up pretty good if you go hard enough. I find I get a good workout with it and less pounding on my joints compared to running.

Walking up hill/stairs will do the trick (skipping aka jump rope, airdyne machines, ergs, swimming as mentioned are all good too).

Got my resting heart rate average below 49 (and seen it hit 44) in a Fitbit via just walking the dog around the (very hilly) neighbourhood.
Heart rate will only go above 130 during hill sprints now, and only for seconds (skipping no, sprints no, walking no, weights no, doing them holds it at 95-115 etc).

One that hasn't been suggested is kettlebell swings.

I like to do 10 sets of 10 reps of burpees with 30 seconds of shadowboxing in between sets. However when it comes to weight management, jogging seems to work best for me.

Walking up hill/stairs will do the trick (skipping aka jump rope, airdyne machines, ergs, swimming as mentioned are all good too).

Got my resting heart rate average below 49 (and seen it hit 44) in a Fitbit via just walking the dog around the (very hilly) neighbourhood.
Heart rate will only go above 130 during hill sprints now, and only for seconds (skipping no, sprints no, walking no, weights no, doing them holds it at 95-115 etc).
100% your heart rate goes above 115 when sprinting and lifting heavy. You have to be much higher than that to reach lactate buildup even.

<DontBelieve1>

i do hillsprints with my bike and longer hill climbs. it's a nice alternative if you got some knee or hip trouble and still want to just go outside and kill yourself. i ride uphill standing which works your lower back and sides pretty good. it's little bit like one arm rowing if you pull the handle stronger on very steep hills.

Kettlebells. Swings can turn miserable and snatches are a bitch pretty quickly.

I got into doing spin classes

They are so hard, you determine how hard it is tbh but I've never sweat so much. After the classes I looked as if I'd jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed

I've not done them in a while though as I'm trying to build leg size and figure spinning will impact my ability to squat frequently

Back