Marilyn Manson - Heaven Upside Down

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
These are the first three singles and they're pretty good. Tyler Bates rejuvenated Manson's career in the last album, Pale Emperor and this seems to be a continuation of this new phase. Sucks that Twiggy is not part of the band anymore.

Watched all 3 vids. Good rock songs but not that memorable. He’s got a formula and sticks to it. With that said I prefer this than any of the trash on the radio.

I like the album. It's not as good as Pale Emperor but solid.

I'm still blown away that Manson is making good music and evolving. He still sounds great as well. As for Twiggy, I thought he was on the album?

I like the album. It's not as good as Pale Emperor but solid.

I'm still blown away that Manson is making good music and evolving. He still sounds great as well. As for Twiggy, I thought he was on the album?

Twiggy got outed in the #MeToo events.

Sounds good I also like pale emperor great album

He's really fallen off, I'm guessing his voice has went to shit.
A buddy sent me a picture of him at a concert a couple of years ago and he was using a flashlight to light his face. It wasn't even a mag lite or anything fancy, it was one of the plastic ones that you keep under the sink.

Finally got to listening to this album. Put it off for awhile.

I actually made the thread for The Pale Emperor when it came out

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/marilyn-manson-the-pale-emperor.2918583/

I was very encouraged by that album and still bump it every now and then. However; I saw Manson at Aftershock in 2015 and the show wasn’t a return to form like the album was. Then he came back with the stupid Trump imagery for his videos(for songs I haven’t heard until now) and I wasn’t overall listening to any new releases over the last year or so. Im the type that rummages through past decades for new to me music.

Anyway, I got on a Marilyn Manson kick over the last couple of days and decided to check out the Heaven Upside Down tracks. I didn’t listen to it in album order but I got all the songs nonetheless. I gotta say, it’s probably as good as Pale Emperor if not more accessible. I probably prefer Pale Emperor more since it has more of a vintage Manson sound throughout, where Heaven Upside Down is definetly more modern.

I started with “Tattooed in Reverse” and was first amused by how blatantly it attempted to sound like mainstream “modern rock”. It sounded like Imagine Dragons but still kept enough Manson signatures for it not to disgust me into turning it off and writing off the rest. In The end it turned out to be a decent song.

The money is with Blood Honey, SAY10, Revealation # 12, Saturnalia, and the hard as fuck Je$u$ Cri$i$. Every song is distinguishable and a good stand alone album in Manson’s discography. There’s a lot here you can’t get better from even overall superior Manson albums. That’s good because if you make a distinguishable record, you don’t have to worry about topping the best ones.

Definetly a great team Manson and Bates are. It really highlights how low Manson had fallen in the 15 years between Holy Wood and Pale Emperor.

Last edited:
I only liked 3 songs on this album while I pretty much loved all of Pale Emperor. This was a big step down for me.

As for Twiggy, I thought he was on the album?

Twiggy got outed in the #MeToo events.
Anyone else find it ironic that Manson became famous by being blatantly rebellious against the Christian establishment during the 90s.... and 20 years later he's being a complete bitch for feminists?

Twiggy was Mason's buddy for.... 20+ years right? Through thick and thin, right?

And then some ex-girlfriend of Twiggy's makes a #MeToo tweet, it goes viral, and Manson drops him like a non-drug habit.

I haven't really cared about Manson since the 90's since his style hasn't changed for the better.

Portrait of an American Family was great and the change up to a semi-industrial for Antichrist Superstar was a step up... it was a great album too. Then it just got old the more over the top he tried to be.

I did see Manson a week after Antichrist Superstar came out in 1996. It was a great show. Couldn't fathom paying to see him now.

Back