how come some real strong people are hard gainers?

nastyElbows also avirgin

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
(i don't mean skinny/thin guy.)

i see in the gym guys lifting crazy weights, they are in shape but no big muscles. it's like, (perhaps) their bones that are genetically stronger.

on the other hand many big (bodybuilding type guys) struggle with moderate/average weights.

Last edited:
Bodybuilders aren’t going for max strength and powerlifters aren’t going for max size

Everyone else is in the middle

They may be doing relatively low volumes but high intensity, they may have favorable leverages and attachments, they may simply not be eating that much relative to training load.

Calories matter more than anything else when it comes to size

It’s called being natural and worse genetics. Not all of the big ones are roiding but some are and some just are natural built.

For instance there’s YouTubers who train bodybuilding style for years and years who’s arms will never be bigger than 17 inches. Then there’s other ones who have 19 inch arms who make the other ones look like they don’t even lift. It’s a mixture of fake natties and genetic differences.

there is that guy (strongest guy in the gym) he is like 40 years old,
i see him mostly doing those cleans jerks and squats a lot. his body is similar to the guy in fitnessblender on youtube, but no one lifts heavier than he does. i bet his bones is on another non-human level strength.

Last edited:
there is that guy (strongest guy in the gym) he is like 40 years old,
i see him mostly doing those cleans jerks and squats a lot. his body is similar to the guy in fitnessblender on youtube, but no one lifts heavier than he does. i bet his bones is on another non-human level strength.

You know that bones don't actually generate force, right? If you made my bones x100 tougher my lifts would all be the same.

Guys like this have neuromuscular efficiency and technique off the charts.

Yeah i saw this pretty ripped and big dude struggle with 220 bench doing a few reps. I could do that within like 3-4 weeks.

1) What makes you think that these strong people are "hard gainers"? If they're not lifting for hypertrophy, then why wouldn't you expect them to be strong for their size?

2) What do their bones have to do with it, and why do you assume that it's genetic?

3) Why would bodybuilders be especially strong when that's not what they train for? You should expect them to look stronger than they are.

4) You're comparing bodies of a dude at your gym and a dude on Youtube for no apparent reason. Then, you mention bones again.

5) When someone pointed out that mentioning bone strength was stupid, you gave a smartass answer.

Why would I even bother to type this out? Just to let you know that you suck at trolling.

Last edited:
lol wtf? that's funny.

even if my question was so stupid, why you are angry like that? why so many angry guys on this site?

it's just a thread on the internet written by anonymous.
anyway i'm not trolling. my english isn't my native language + i am kind of new in the world of lifting weights in general.

really? wow!

the first thing i thought about was: "it must be the bones the reason behind that strength"

If you really are serious, here's the 101.

Strength largely comes from muscles contracting. Muscles are made up of long fibers, and when you see a muscle contracting what is happening is the fibers themselves are contracting (getting shorter). One of the main things that determines how much power muscle fibers produce when they contract is their thickness. When you see people with big muscles, that is part of what you are seeing- thick muscle fibres.

But there are lots of other things that can make someone strong or less strong, but you can't see them (they won't be bigger or smaller). E.g. it matters a lot how many of your muscle fibers you can contract. If you never lifted heavy weights you might only be able to contract half of them at a time for example. As you train more you get better at contracting more of them. (This is called "neural efficiency"). It also matters that you can contract them all at the same time- if they don't quite fire at the same time you won't be as strong. It matters how often your brain can send the signal to the fibers to contract (rate coding). It also matters how the tendon that connects the muscle to the bone is attached to the bone. If the connection is closer to the joint, you will be stronger. Technique matters too, for compound lifts like the squat. If you do the lift in an efficient way you can lift a lot more.

There are actually a *lot* of other things that can make you stronger or weaker, that are not related to size/muscle size.

If you really are serious, here's the 101.

Strength largely comes from muscles contracting. Muscles are made up of long fibers, and when you see a muscle contracting what is happening is the fibers themselves are contracting (getting shorter). One of the main things that determines how much power muscle fibers produce when they contract is their thickness. When you see people with big muscles, that is part of what you are seeing- thick muscle fibres.

But there are lots of other things that can make someone strong or less strong, but you can't see them (they won't be bigger or smaller). E.g. it matters a lot how many of your muscle fibers you can contract. If you never lifted heavy weights you might only be able to contract half of them at a time for example. As you train more you get better at contracting more of them. (This is called "neural efficiency"). It also matters that you can contract them all at the same time- if they don't quite fire at the same time you won't be as strong. It matters how often your brain can send the signal to the fibers to contract (rate coding). It also matters how the tendon that connects the muscle to the bone is attached to the bone. If the connection is closer to the joint, you will be stronger. Technique matters too, for compound lifts like the squat. If you do the lift in an efficient way you can lift a lot more.

There are actually a *lot* of other things that can make you stronger or weaker, that are not related to size/muscle size.

awesome. thanks.

lol wtf? that's funny.

even if my question was so stupid, why you are angry like that? why so many angry guys on this site?

it's just a thread on the internet written by anonymous.
anyway i'm not trolling. my english isn't my native language + i am kind of new in the world of lifting weights in general.
I'm not angry at all.

You asked a question, and I gave you a thorough answer.

Back